• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Peckers thrive in New Forest (1 Viewer)

Daniel Martin

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9239718.Forest_is_hotspot_for_woodpecker/

I wonder what other areas of the UK they are considered as doing well?

The regular Derbyshire birds were hard to catch up with this Spring following the poor winter, but eventually did show (and quite well in fact) as the weather turned to the good.

However, there are very few pairs about despite seemingly good tracts of woodland and parkland that offer the right habitat.

I live in the New forest and hadn't seen one for years despite always tramping about in the woods with my binoculars, so early this spring I spent the day in Denny wood specifically searching for them. Took me quite a few hours of following the drumming and kestrel like calls high in the oaks to finally locate one and get a good look through my bins. Was a great day out, and seeing a pair of hawfinches too was a bonus!
Have seen one lesser spot since then quite by chance, great spots and yaffles are everywhere though.

I've yet to see one in the New Forest. Have pretty much cleaned up stumbling upon all the other New Forest attractions without much difficulty, but Lesser Peckers seem to be the toughest IMO.

Suggesting they are 'thriving' in the New Forest is a bit of media over-statement.
If you put the time in at several areas in Spring you'll probably strike lucky but you can go dozens and dozens of visits even in prime areas and not get a sniff of one especially outside of March-May.
Russ
PS I'm sure someone will reply that they get them daily as a garden birds somewhere in the NF!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back