• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buenos Aires, Argentina (4) (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
So being in Argentina for the 9th already, I think I started to get a grip on most of the commoner birds and I have bravely IDed almost 60 species so far this trip myself. But there are still unknowns for me.

All from Reserva Costanera Sur, a swampy park in the centre of Buenos Aires, a couple of fays ago:

1 - I call this for a lack of better idea a "palm tanager" but it has no wing pattern and really no business down south

2 - female of some seedeater? the females are not all illustrated in my book

3 - is this a 1234th version of Variable Hawk I haven't seen yet?

4 - just a long shot for a hummingbird, very difficult folk to take picture of, probably not IDable.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• _bf1.jpg
    _bf1.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 48
  • _bf2.jpg
    _bf2.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 45
  • _bf3.jpg
    _bf3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 76
  • _bf4.jpg
    _bf4.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 40
Re 3: Variable hawk usually has a thin black band on a mostly white tail while this one has dark tail with pale undertail coverts. I have a feeling I should know this one but nothing pops up.

Niels

Edit: Snail Kite female? Not sure though

Last edited:
Re 3: Variable hawk usually has a thin black band on a mostly white tail while this one has dark tail with pale undertail coverts. I have a feeling I should know this one but nothing pops up.

Niels

Edit: Snail Kite female? Not sure though

Thanks! According to my book I have here (Erize-Mata) it doesn't fit well, it's kind of male-female crossover, but some pictures on the internet provide much better fit, there is apparently some variability in head color. Also, the habitat is very suitable.

I have just gotten paranoid with varibale hawks as like 9 out of 10 strange birds of prey I see around Malargue turn out as one of those tricky creatures, but this is Buenos Aires, where they are much less common, so I should have considered that.

Snail kite seems good for #3.

For #1 I'm seeing some pale blue feathers on the rump. How about blue-grey, sayaca, or whichever of the bluish Thraupis tanagers occurs in BA?

Not going near female seedeaters 8-P

Severe backlighting on the raptor is a bit of a problem, but with dark body, chestnut underwing coverts, white undertail and mostly black tail with a white tip why not Harris's/Bay-winged Hawk? That's waht I'd have it down as if I were in the area (which I may be later this year, fingers crossed, hence my interest in this thread).

James

Severe backlighting on the raptor is a bit of a problem, but with dark body, chestnut underwing coverts, white undertail and mostly black tail with a white tip why not Harris's/Bay-winged Hawk? That's waht I'd have it down as if I were in the area (which I may be later this year, fingers crossed, hence my interest in this thread).

James

The Harris's Hawk I remember seeing from Chile looked a lot more like http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=361333 -- if this bird is a Harris it looks a lot more like the N American versions of it. I did not know there was so much variation of this species in S America. Zooming in, I can see the chestnut on underwing, and Harris's would fit better with the shape of bill (which I excused as a funny angle effect).

Niels

1 looks like Young Sayaca Tanager
2 female Seedeater most probably Double-collared S.
3 Bay-winged Hawk. I have seen same not 1 month ago in Costanera Sur.
4 female Glittering-bellied Emerald

The Harris's Hawk I remember seeing from Chile looked a lot more like http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=361333 -- if this bird is a Harris it looks a lot more like the N American versions of it. I did not know there was so much variation of this species in S America. Zooming in, I can see the chestnut on underwing, and Harris's would fit better with the shape of bill (which I excused as a funny angle effect).

Niels

Hi Niels, that photo looks like a young Harri's Hawk.

1 looks like Young Sayaca Tanager
2 female Seedeater most probably Double-collared S.
3 Bay-winged Hawk. I have seen same not 1 month ago in Costanera Sur.
4 female Glittering-bellied Emerald

Thanks (and to everyone else as well, of course)! 1 is really Sayaca? That's funny how non-blue it can be! At least I wasn't wrong calling it a tanager!

ad 2: double-collared males were very numerous in Costanera, so I guess that's quite reasonable.

ad 3: it's funny when you can get an ID not just on a species, but on an individual bird :)

Hi Niels, that photo looks like a young Harri's Hawk.

I saw 3-4 birds in central Chile, and my memory is that the guide called two of them adults. I was surprised by the difference between the birds and those I had seen in the US not too long before, that is why my memories of these are quite vivid.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back