• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Textbook or review articles on avian phylogeny? (1 Viewer)

kschnei

I'm hoping that someone can recommend a review article or textbook with a good introduction to avian systematics/phylogenetics? I have a strong science background (PhD in molecular biology, although a while back), but I confess that I lack the knowledge of statistics, etc. to thoroughly understand most of the articles I read on assembling bird haplotypes into clades, tracing evolutionary trees, etc. What I need (I think) is an explanation that starts the discussion on a very basic level and then gets more involved in the details...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ken

Sorry - not a very clear thought/question. Can someone perhaps recommend a recent edition of an ornithology, or perhaps even better, a zoology textbook that covers modern systematics and phylogeny at an introductory level?

Sorry - not a very clear thought/question. Can someone perhaps recommend a recent edition of an ornithology, or perhaps even better, a zoology textbook that covers modern systematics and phylogeny at an introductory level?

The Speciation and Biogeography of Birds by Ian Newton would be my recommendation.

From my own bookshelf, I have two books that both are slightly more involved I think, but may be worthwhile for you:

Barry G Hall Phylogenetic trees made easy ISBN 978-0-87893-310-5
David P Mindell (ed) Avian Molecular Evolution and Systematics ISBN 0-12-498315-4

The second one is getting a little old, I think, and does assume you have some level of prior knowledge.

Niels

I'm currently reading "Speciation in Birds" by Travor Price (Roberts & Company, Colorado, 2008) which might be of interest to you though, as the title suggests, its focus is on processes of speciation not systematics in general.

While I enjoyed Ian Newton's book, one of the main criticisms of it in reviews is that its treatment of systematics/phylogenetics was poor. See http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3793/is_200410/ai_n9452456
for one review. So while it is very interesting, perhaps it does not focus on what you are looking for. Speciation in Birds is better in that regard (though as noted above, it's not really focussed on that area).

Hope this helps,

Murray

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I purchased Speciation in Birds for now and I'll see where that takes me...

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back