• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Oh, I have a fast network connection at home and decent machines too. I just dislike Flash sites (a lot!). They appeal to graphic deigners who want control of the precise look (and so they can do silly "interactive" things). But they mostly hide infomation away from Google and general make looking for a particular piece of info more of a challenge (flash always loads more slowly then puts a nice steady load on the CPU ... I filter it out in my browser and only a few sites use it).

And to prove my point ... a google site specific search returns a handful of hits: one at the root of the site ("Needs Flash Player") and 4 PDFs. Not even a site map to work around the Flash site.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:meoptasportsoptics.com&btnG=Search

Finally they chose a dumb, dumb domain name.

They do already own Meopta.com (and should focus their presence there, IMHO).

www.meoptasportsoptics.com

Most of the time, in English the term is "sport optics". It doesn't actually make a huge amount of sense does it with sport in the singular being the "bigger" noun but it's the one used by pretty much all of the bin makers. But Meopta decided to use "sports optics" (the plural) so if one types the obvious URL one doesn't find the server. They also failed to buy the other obvious typo URL to point to their site.

So if you want to see the products and don't want to use Flash download the PDF catalog (which I'm fine with!).

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/Meopta2009NatureCatalog.pdf

Rant over. But it doesn't help Meopta's US (net) presence especially if you are trying to find out info about their bins. They all seem like newbie mistakes too.

Last edited:
Did you try writing them in Czech?

Then again, you might get their attention quicker if you just wrote a check!;)

Bob

Does this helpski?

Oh, mám rychlé připojení k síti doma a slušné stroje příliš. Já jen nerad Flash stránky (hodně!). Jejich odvolání do grafického deigners kteří chtějí kontrolu přesného vzhledu (a tak si může dělat hloupé "interaktivní" věci). Ale oni většinou skryj informace od Google a obecná, aby hledali konkrétní kousek více info na výzvu (flash vždy načítá pomaleji pak klade příjemný konstantní zátěž na CPU ... I filtrem ji ve svém prohlížeči a pouze několika místech používat).

A dokázat, moje místo ... Google vyhledávání konkrétní stránky vrací hrst hity: jeden u kořene webu ( "Vyžaduje Flash Player") a 4 soubory ve formátu PDF. Ani mapa do práce kolem Flash stránkách.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site% 3Ameoptasportsoptics.com&btnG=Search

Nakonec se rozhodli hloupé, hloupý název domény.

Jsou to již vlastní Meopta.com (a měli zaměřit svou přítomnost v sále, IMHO).

www.meoptasportsoptics.com

Většinu času, v angličtině se termín "sportovní optika". Neznamená to však skutečně provést velké množství smysl to se sportem v jednotném čísle je "větší" jmen, ale je to ten používají skoro všechny bin tvůrci. Meopta ale rozhodl použít "sportovní optiky" (množné číslo), takže pokud jeden typy zjevnost URL jeden nenajde server. Rovněž se nepodařilo koupit jiné zjevné typo URL bodu na jejich stránkách.

Takže pokud chcete vidět produkty a nechcete použít Flash stáhnout PDF katalog (což jsem pokuty se!).

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/Meopta2009NatureCatalog.pdf

Chvástavost konec. Ale nepomáhá to Meopta USA (čistý) přítomnost zvláště když se snaží zjistit informace o jejich koše. Ti všichni se jeví jako nováček příliš chyb.

Last edited:
Ah, a prompt (if slightly oddly worded) response from that address:

Dear Mr. Purcell,

I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to assess the new Meopta
website. Not only will we consider your comments, but their validity
also requires our action.

Please bear with us as we consult with our designer and programmers to
address this situation.

Once again, thank you for your thorough assessment, it is greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Richard Gilligan

Richard Gilligan is their VP of Marketing or Sales if I am not mistaken. I have spoken with him on a few occasions several years ago. Friendly gentleman.

So, are you going to google search it again in some time in the next week to see if they remedied the concern?

So, are you going to google search it again in some time in the next week to see if they remedied the concern?

Actually I think it will be worse than that ... if you bury everything in Flash you have to get pretty smart to expose the content to google (you have to detect their robot then present it with stuff thats similar to the flash content).

If they didn't think of this in the initial design they will have to get someone in to do some SEO (search engine optimization) work.

I will check though. Nice to see the big guys are reading the mail.

That is one company where I can honestly say that the "big guys" are very involved in the day to day operation and communications of the company. I would not be surprised if Mr. Gilligan even visits this forum.

;)

I was complaining about "Sports Optics" before and I just noticed ...

Leica Sports Optic
ZEISS Sports Optics
Swarovski sports optics

Vortex sports optics
Bushnell sports optics

Nikon Sport Optics
PENTAX Sport Optics
Kowa Sporting Optics (or Sport Optics)

Meopta Sport optics (on the meopta.com)

Steiner Binoculars (they don't do Sport(s) Optics!).

Clealy a Mitteleuropa (and Wisconsin) thing with the plural "sports optics"

So there is some more variation than I thought (but Meopta aren't internally consistent) so I may have been a bit harsh but I do tend to type those things without the plural sports.

Just to add several more notes to the tune, let's not forget Swift Sports Optics, Burris Sports Optics, and Hawke Sports Optics. Perhaps there is only one optics marketing advertising agency that is currently working?

If you want to get really technical then exactly why is/are they referred to as "sport(s) optics" in the first place?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back