• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$400 in a 8x30 what would you do? (1 Viewer)

Nixterdemus

I can snag a Zeiss Conquest 8x30B T Demo for 400 clams shipped. In this arena 8x30-32MM do you think this deal is the deal?

I'm not sure what else would compare at this price. Granted, I'm saving quite a bit from the demo aspect and that price is what started me looking.

Not to pimp my own ad but you may be interested in the 8x32 Viper HD that I am selling I the classifieds. Haven't tried the conquests myself but from everything I've read the Viper HDs should be superior optically.

No problem for me, if you're not wearing an obscene amount of jury and a diamond/platinum grille, but that's exactly what you're doing.

Regardless, the HD Vipers are 559.99 which is roughly what they're hawking the Conquest for new except that as I understand the Zeiss model in this configuration is at least six years old.

Cameraland NY has them for a bit over that price so I would call yours a fair deal but nothing more. There are other 8x30 and 8x32 binoculars that will also deliver excellent images so keep looking.

I'm reading various reviews, type of prism supposedly not up to par w/larger Conquest binoculars and of course this is an entry level for Zeiss as I understand.

I've even read where some describe them as dim and I realize everything is relative, but at the same time in a 8x30 you're shooting for mid-size/lightweight and I can't forget about the price.

I like the Conquests. I remember when I bought my first pair. I felt priveleged to own a Zeiss product. They have nice streamlined lines and have good fit and finish. The only issue I saw with them in that area is a bit of unit to unit variation in the focusing tension. Some were good and one or two were a bit stiff.

Optically they are very good. They have good, but not great, brightness, good contrast and very good apparent sharpness. The sweet spot is average to good (65-75%). Edge performance isn't bad. From what I remember it isn't field curvature as it wouldn't focus out completely. Probably their only optical negative is their stray light control. They use an extra glass plate in front of the objective to seal them effectively from moisture. In certain lighting conditions light catches the plate and creates a half moon in the bottom half of the field of view.

$400 is a good price for them. Back "in the day" wen they first debuted Zeiss had them listed at around $500. Then there was a time when I saw them discounted as low as$350 (new) then Zeiss had a price jump a few years back and all of sudden they are selling for $600. Doug at CLNY has had the $450 deal for a couple months if memory serves. If your source is as good as CLNY then I would say get them as you aren't likely to find them cheaper.

My suggestion, besides getting the Conquest? Get the Sightrons. Half the price of what you are paying for the Conquests with a wider field of view, better color saturation, a larger sweet spot and better straylight control. I just had mine out tonight to compare with my Nikon 7x35 Es. If there is a difference in apparent sharpness or overall image representation (minus the slight color bias) then I can't see it. Great bin for a great price.

I'm reading various reviews, type of prism supposedly not up to par w/larger Conquest binoculars and of course this is an entry level for Zeiss as I understand.

I've even read where some describe them as dim and I realize everything is relative, but at the same time in a 8x30 you're shooting for mid-size/lightweight and I can't forget about the price.

Nix,

They aren't "dim". They just aren't the brightest 8x30-something on the market. They also aren't subpar in terms of prism compared to the larger 8x40 Conquest ABK. It is just a different type of prism with a lower light transmission rating. The ABK prism has its drawbacks too. ABK binoculars are longer physically and some have suggested that they, in some way, contribute to CA in the image which is why Zeiss upgraded the Victory and Victory IIs to ED glass with the Victory FLs.

Thanks folks especially Frank for the detailed reply. I've had the Sightron IIBL 8x32 for a couple of weeks. I like it and far closer to my taste than some others.

Anwho, Doug has the deal and quite honestly it's at the end of my fiscal leash which stretched from 300 clams per glass. The extra fifty discount pushed me over the edge. That's only 85 clams more than I paid for the ED2 7x36 and though I like that static view vertical scan, more so than horizontal pan, makes movement beyond a snail's pace uncomfortable.

I can snag a Zeiss Conquest 8x30B T Demo for 400 clams shipped. In this arena 8x30-32MM do you think this deal is the deal?

I'm not sure what else would compare at this price. Granted, I'm saving quite a bit from the demo aspect and that price is what started me looking.

You can get EII's for about that and they smoke the Conquests if you don't need waterproof.

Nix,

I forgot you had the Sightrons. If/when you get the Zeiss I would be curious to hear your comparison of the two.

"EII's for about that ... " I guess the 64K query is how close about?

I'm interested in comparing them and will share my views for the two centavos worth.

I like the SII and the horizontal pan doesn't seem to bother me, or much, but the vertical scan reminds me of the sensation from the ED2 7x36 and it's weird to me that I notice this predominately in one plane, vertical, instead of both or neither. When I first snagged the SII they were fine panning the woods, everything was comin' up roses then I scanned up and my world started losing orientation.

I don't know what is the root cause, yet it seems my brain prefers narrow FOV. The SIII 8x24PC did not show the sensation, 328' FOV and the Viper 8.5x50 305' FOV doesn't give me the sensation either.

I'm not coming to the conclusion that it's all FOV, but I'm starting to see a pattern w/some binoculars. I picked up an old Nikon 12x36 DCF 5* FOV and once again no swimming head moving them around.

I'm not sure what the E II would do, but I'd like to pinpoint what appears to be inducing vertigo in some glass, so I could help avoid that characteristic whatever it may be.

Last edited:
Nix,
For what it's worth, here's my two cents worth. I ended up buying the Zeiss Conquest 8x30 on the spot at Cabela's for $650. I'll have to admit at the time the major swaying factor for me was the eye relief and Cabelas generous 60 day return policy. At that time I was jamming the eyecups into my eye sockets and having trouble with blackouts on my left eye with most binoculars I tried, but I had no blackouts with the Conquests. I have to say, ergonomically, they are one of my favorite binos to hold. Very comfortable and steady for me. Also liked the focus feel and speed, seemed quite easy to nail the focus for me. When I got them in the parking lot and looked through them I was very impressed with the sharpness and clarity. Funny thing is, if I had nothing else to compare these to, I believe I would have been blissfully happy with these. As it were I had the Zen's in my truck and immediately noticed the difference mostly in brightness but also in some contrast. I remember feeling a little deflated at the time, thinking that these were Zeiss, an alpha bino that I just paid $250 more than my Zens, in my eyes they were supposed to be better. I ended up keeping them for a month and then returned them, because I found I kept going back to the Zens for the brightness and contrast. One last note, I did notice the distortion at the edges and the slight glare that FrankD pointed out. To my inexperienced eye it seemed quite similiar to the Zen in this respect.

John

I recently picked up a pair of the discontinued Leupold 8x32 golden ring hd, at a sporting goods chain store, for 399 USD. I think there are still a few around on the web, new for around that price. Some folks do not like the weight (27 oz) , some do not like the color, brown. But they are exceptional glasses. They are far better in build and optical quality than any ROOF you will find in that price range, or higher for that matter, (I have not looked through the Zeiss FL or Nikon EDG lines, so i do not know about those).
Ranked #2 by Allbinos.com in the 8x32 class. Review: http://www.allbinos.com/184-binoculars_review-Leupold_Golden_Ring_8x32_HD.html
Reviews on this site: http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/267/cat/10

Last edited:
Nix,
For what it's worth, here's my two cents worth. I ended up buying the Zeiss Conquest 8x30 on the spot at Cabela's for $650. I'll have to admit at the time the major swaying factor for me was the eye relief and Cabelas generous 60 day return policy. At that time I was jamming the eyecups into my eye sockets and having trouble with blackouts on my left eye with most binoculars I tried, but I had no blackouts with the Conquests. I have to say, ergonomically, they are one of my favorite binos to hold. Very comfortable and steady for me. Also liked the focus feel and speed, seemed quite easy to nail the focus for me. When I got them in the parking lot and looked through them I was very impressed with the sharpness and clarity. Funny thing is, if I had nothing else to compare these to, I believe I would have been blissfully happy with these. As it were I had the Zen's in my truck and immediately noticed the difference mostly in brightness but also in some contrast. I remember feeling a little deflated at the time, thinking that these were Zeiss, an alpha bino that I just paid $250 more than my Zens, in my eyes they were supposed to be better. I ended up keeping them for a month and then returned them, because I found I kept going back to the Zens for the brightness and contrast. One last note, I did notice the distortion at the edges and the slight glare that FrankD pointed out. To my inexperienced eye it seemed quite similiar to the Zen in this respect.

John

I agree with Stet. The Zeiss Conquest 8x30 are average and there are alot of binoculars at this price range that are better. I sold my pair after a couple months I think for $375.00 on E-bay. Like he says the Zen ED are way better the Leica 8x32 BN's are way better the Leupold 8x32 Gold Ring HD's are way better and of course any of the Alphas are WAY better. The Nikon 8x32 SE and 8x30 EII's are way better. Even the Swarovski 8x30 CL is a little better. I would never buy them again. Save a little more money or look for these other binoculars. You won't be happy with the Conquest. The Conquest's are just average binoculars even though they are Zeiss. The Zeiss FL now that is another story! Here are a brand new pair of the Gold Rings on E-bay for $550.00. That is only $150.00 difference and you got yourself ALOT better binocular.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOX-LEU...110781938244?pt=Binocular&hash=item19cb1e3a44

Last edited:
Well gents I thank you for your candor and advice. As previously mentioned I experience equilibrium issues whilst panning/scanning through some glass. Even though some porros have a better picture, especially at this level, they're not quite as compact and easy to hold/carry and I enjoy sealed against the elements construction. Although I haven't given up on them completely as I would still like to peer through the smaller 8x32 SE 393' FOV. Though I'm not sure if 17.4mm ER is negated by long enough eye cups for naked eye view w/o holding them away from my face.

I appreciate looks great until compared to others. The old 12x36 DCF is plenty sharp and clear on a bright day, but when I replace it w/Viper 8.5x50, especially on an overcast day, the contest is over. Lower power, bigger objectives and a good 25 years of technology doesn't hurt. Still, the old 12x36 provides some fairly sharp clean hand held views of jets ascending/descending on clear days, brings me considerably closer and doesn't weigh nearly as much.

One potential positive aspect that I'm seeing w/Conquest is the FOV @ 360'. So far the limited supply of binoculars that I've looked through possessing a FOV over 400' have taken the old noggin for a loop. The Sightron SIIBL 8x32 almost doesn't bother me, certainly not as much as some others, and it weighs in @ 420' for what it's worth.

The only common denominator, affordable prices notwithstanding, that I have rendered is FOV. I'm sure it's not that simple and other variables are coming into play. Regardless, I can't drop a grand, two or betwixt the twain on binoculars. So, I'm plodding along trying a few relatively inexpensive ones. Two of the larger aspects at this juncture are price and moving past 8x24 328' FOV w/o ill effects.

Allow if you will a change in my original query. What roofs 8x30-32, demos included, can one obtain shipped for 400 clams that would be roughly at the same level as the Conquest? At a little under half price the SIIBL comes close. The 8x32 HD Viper $559.99-CLNY, 400' FOV, has been mentioned though being a new model I'm not sure about the availability of demos. I realize that narrows the field, but I thought I'd throw it out there just the same. Even the old Viper in 8x28 319' fOV, not in the range, is 320 simoleons.

Conquest 8x30B T
Magnification-8
Objective diameter 30(mm)
Field of view-360'
Diopter Adjustment-+/-4 dpt
Twilight factor-15.5
Exit pupil-3.75 (mm)
Height-5.6 inches
Width-4.53 inches

Thanks Dennis for the multiple options and sharing your thoughts. I realize the gold rings are only 150 clams more, but that is still over a 1/3 of my newly increased budget. Besides, if I break down and snag the 8x32 SE down the road they'll look that much better compared to the Conquest. As a matter of fact it's almost depressing knowing how disappointed I'm going to be after dropping 4 bills.

I`ve recently aquired th 8x30 conquest and I`m impressed, I too got it at a knock down price which enables me to overlook any minor shortcomings, I have no problem taking this and leaving my Nikon hg l at home. Personally I find the viper overated, I`ve owned the 8x32 and various 42 models and always found them wanting, but thats just my view. I`d rather use the little Zeiss to some Chinese made ED this or HD that any day.

Well gents I thank you for your candor and advice. As previously mentioned I experience equilibrium issues whilst panning/scanning through some glass. Even though some porros have a better picture, especially at this level, they're not quite as compact and easy to hold/carry and I enjoy sealed against the elements construction. Although I haven't given up on them completely as I would still like to peer through the smaller 8x32 SE 393' FOV. Though I'm not sure if 17.4mm ER is negated by long enough eye cups for naked eye view w/o holding them away from my face.

I appreciate looks great until compared to others. The old 12x36 DCF is plenty sharp and clear on a bright day, but when I replace it w/Viper 8.5x50, especially on an overcast day, the contest is over. Lower power, bigger objectives and a good 25 years of technology doesn't hurt. Still, the old 12x36 provides some fairly sharp clean hand held views of jets ascending/descending on clear days, brings me considerably closer and doesn't weigh nearly as much.

One potential positive aspect that I'm seeing w/Conquest is the FOV @ 360'. So far the limited supply of binoculars that I've looked through possessing a FOV over 400' have taken the old noggin for a loop. The Sightron SIIBL 8x32 almost doesn't bother me, certainly not as much as some others, and it weighs in @ 420' for what it's worth.

The only common denominator, affordable prices notwithstanding, that I have rendered is FOV. I'm sure it's not that simple and other variables are coming into play. Regardless, I can't drop a grand, two or betwixt the twain on binoculars. So, I'm plodding along trying a few relatively inexpensive ones. Two of the larger aspects at this juncture are price and moving past 8x24 328' FOV w/o ill effects.

Allow if you will a change in my original query. What roofs 8x30-32, demos included, can one obtain shipped for 400 clams that would be roughly at the same level as the Conquest? At a little under half price the SIIBL comes close. The 8x32 HD Viper $559.99-CLNY, 400' FOV, has been mentioned though being a new model I'm not sure about the availability of demos. I realize that narrows the field, but I thought I'd throw it out there just the same. Even the old Viper in 8x28 319' fOV, not in the range, is 320 simoleons.

Conquest 8x30B T
Magnification-8
Objective diameter 30(mm)
Field of view-360'
Diopter Adjustment-+/-4 dpt
Twilight factor-15.5
Exit pupil-3.75 (mm)
Height-5.6 inches
Width-4.53 inches

Thanks Dennis for the multiple options and sharing your thoughts. I realize the gold rings are only 150 clams more, but that is still over a 1/3 of my newly increased budget. Besides, if I break down and snag the 8x32 SE down the road they'll look that much better compared to the Conquest. As a matter of fact it's almost depressing knowing how disappointed I'm going to be after dropping 4 bills.

Nixter:

Just wait a minute, I do not think you should have an attitude that you will
be disappointed with your purchase of the Zeiss. Dennis has explained some
of the differences, and I do agree. The 8x30-32 area is full of compromises,
including optical perfection, FOV, armor, weight, waterproofing, and the one that is most important, that is what qualities and the one you may prefer.

For instance, Dennis, was trumping the Swaro. CL. a while back, and they
are a very nice optic. Hard to beat these for being a nice compact, and they
have all of the things many may want.
This Zeiss may be much the same, quality, lightweight with many things
that made you make the purchase.

That is the fun of optics shopping. The Nikon SE, will trump both of these
for optics, but not in the everyday go out and get after it.

Let us know how you like them. ;)

Jerry

Thanks for the encouraging word Tor. My biggest concern is being able to pan & scan w/o becoming dizzy for long periods. If the Conquest can conquer that demon then I'll consider the 4 bills well spent and if nothing else call it a good start.

I'm having a tad bit 'o fun ND. I'm sure I'll enjoy them partly because of the assortment I'll compare them against that have there own weak & strong points. Strongest in most is the price, but I realize one can't stitch a silk purse from a sow's ear.

I've spent enough over the last month to buy an alpha though several of these affordable binoculars are going to become x-mas fodder. I might put a couple under the tree w/my name on the package.

Right now I'm trying to find a 15x70 for under 300 bucks that doesn't weigh 5lbs, but is as good optically as the Ultra Oberwerk. They have a LW around 3.1lbs as does Garrett, same glass, but neither are as good. Garrett makes a Mark II @ 4.8lbs a Signature at 5lbs 9oz and a Signature 15x85 @ 10lbs.

It's a toss-up between the inferior LW models that are just over 3lbs and maybe the slightly better MK II pushing 5 lbs. Of course the Ultra Oberwerk is 5lbs and only 50 bucks over my mark.

I can play around for a bit holding 3lbs, but I'm afraid 5 would be quite brutal. I hate not to get the better glass, but I don't think I'd care to have a 15x on a tripod all the time. I'll probably just snag a LW and see what shakes w/prices after the first of the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back