• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"I wish I hadn't sold my ..." ??? (1 Viewer)

I know, but that mad "nikon best bins" thread drove me to the "edge" (Har-har!). I live in a bizarre conflict between a) wanting to own the best bins out there, and b) wanting to own only the bins I'll actually use. I've reduced category b) to four, perhaps five models, and I've finally got there, and won't buy any more. Je ne regrette rien. Mais, aussi, je regrette tout. B :)

Probably my Nikon 8x30EII's. Big 3D HUGE immersive FOV. Cool Classic Design. Probably get another pair sometime.

About two months ago I might have answered with a list including an 8x30EII, 8x30E FMC, and 10x40 BGATP.

Now that I have a Swaro 8x42 SLC HD, however, the list has evaporated. o:D

Ed

Ed, I'm nominating you as a candidate for the Last Bino Buyers Club. Two other candidates so far, Mark and pimpelmees (both SV EL owners).

Some penalties do apply, so read the fine print in the charter (post #52):

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=221797&page=3

I may join if the 8x30 Habichts turn out to be as good as Georgio says. The problem is that if I later change my mind when the focuser freezes up in the cold, I'm allergic to feathers.

Brock

Ed, I'm nominating you as a candidate for the Last Bino Buyers Club. Two other candidates so far, Mark and pimpelmees (both SV EL owners).

Some penalties do apply, so read the fine print in the charter (post #52):

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=221797&page=3

I may join if the 8x30 Habichts turn out to be as good as Georgio says. The problem is that if I later change my mind when the focuser freezes up in the cold, I'm allergic to feathers.

Brock

You've got me dead to rights, Brock. :t:

Looksharpe:

If you'd like to stop over you can use my Minox anytime, they are very
nice, and you'd enjoy them. I've even got a few others you can try. ;)

I bought mine preowned, you can usually find most binoculars if you have
the time and patience.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!

I'll keep that in mind although I'm stuck in the treadmill, and so I will be for years to come, from what I see now. I know of a new pair still available, but they're not first priority since I'm after a Nikon ED82A.

//L

I've sold two I never should have, but can be replaced. A Swift Eaglet 7x36 and a 1999 vintage Swift Audubon type 4b, H/R 5 FMC.

Probably my Nikon 8x30EII's. Big 3D HUGE immersive FOV. Cool Classic Design. Probably get another pair sometime.

Hello Dennis,

Same here but I won't get another EII, as my Zeiss 8x30 FL is very good. It may not have the same FOV, but it is rather more robust which suits clumsy me.
I also have an 8x30 Zeiss ClassiC, an 8x32 Leica BN and a Leitz Binuxit, so I do not lack for choice in that range.
I did own a Nikon 8x30 SE, but I have no regrets about finding a suitable home for that glass, as it was very unfriendly.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Dennis,

Same here but I won't get another EII, as my Zeiss 8x30 FL is very good. It may not have the same FOV, but it is rather more robust which suits clumsy me.
I also have an 8x30 Zeiss ClassiC, an 8x32 Leica BN and a Leitz Binuxit, so I do not lack for choice in that range.
I did own a Nikon 8x30 SE, but I have no regrets about finding a suitable home for that glass, as it was very unfriendly.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I am going to try some of these vintage SWA porro's Frank has been collecting. 600 foot FOV and you can get alot of them for $30.00(shipped). I just bought this one. This was one was a little more but it looks to be in good shape. Look how big the oculars are! They are as big as an SV. The only weakpoint on them is the coatings. They still have to be pretty bright with a 5mm EP and an efficient porro design with huge prisms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180818625988?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:
Strange thread, this. I'm interested in the birds, not my equipment! ;)

Allen

Well, on the Binoculars forum there are all kinds of people - birders, hunters, optics nerds and some who are all three.
This forum, while containing quite a lot of spam and stupidity, still has a lot to offer for those who need advise before buying equipment.

My own interest is equally divided on birds and optics, and I don't judge those who stick with one sole interest. But there's no use to make complaints, just visit the parts of the BirdForum site that suits you the best.

Sincerely

//L

I spend 99% of my time in this forum but I put in 1 to 3 hours per day bird and nature watching and barely mention it in the other forums. The advice in this forum has been a god send for my enjoyment of my bird watching with optics.

There really is no difference in one bunch of people chatting about their life lists and what they saw at the lake yesterday and some folk comparing bins.

I can think of at least one example of something bought with $$ from something sold I wish had stayed un bought and I had kept what I sold. Fortunately that has only happened maybe twice.

Well, on the Binoculars forum there are all kinds of people - birders, hunters, optics nerds and some who are all three.
This forum, while containing quite a lot of spam and stupidity, still has a lot to offer for those who need advise before buying equipment.

My own interest is equally divided on birds and optics, and I don't judge those who stick with one sole interest. But there's no use to make complaints, just visit the parts of the BirdForum site that suits you the best.

Sincerely

//L

Lars I couldn't say it any better!:t:

Strange thread, this. I'm interested in the birds, not my equipment! ;)

Allen

Honestly Allen, you need to get indoors more, and spend some time at your local Warehouse Express! You wouldn't believe the range of optical goodies available to obsess about! And all that gadding about in all weathers looking at birds, you'll catch your death of cold!;)

Deeply regret selling my 15x60 Nobilem's. A rash decision made from being frustrated with contact lenses.
Also sold a set of FMTR-SX 7x50's but eventually got another. Strange part is the edge distortion in the original was a fine ring around the edge (no more than 5%) yet the newer one's seems more like 10+%. A bit disappointing but I don't think I want to chance another set.

Don't regret the 15x60 Nobilem, that thing is a beast to carry.
I think it must be standard issue for the Olympics squad biceps development.

That said, I do regret selling my Docter 12x50BGA Nobilem. The only consolation is that the buyer wrote back to thank me for selling him the sharpest binoculars he had ever seen. So they are at least in good hands.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back