• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hanoi: Female Pied or Hen Harrier? (1 Viewer)

kiwiguy

Hi all,

On Sunday we saw a female harrier (1st year???).

First impression was a female Pied harrier, especially as a male Pied Harrier was nearby. But then we noticed that the bird appeared to be a bit stronger, broader/shorter-winged. The markings under its wings seem to be right for Hen Harrier which is an extremely rare bird in the region. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Sorry about quality of photos, but my big lens is away being serviced.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Attachments

• Harrier-Pied female.jpg
    Harrier-Pied female.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 129
Do you have any bigger photos?

I'm leaning towards Pied from these, but I won't commit unless there are larger pics.

I would go for Pied also. Prominent barring on primaries and darker secondaries. Juvenile Pied can look fairly broad winged.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back