• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 6.5x32 MeoPro (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello all,

I bought a Meopta 6.5x32 MeoPro, last May, for $240, which makes it a low cost binocular. In part, i was interested because I used to use a Meopta enlarger, in the days of analogue chemical photography, as well as their enlarging lenses, I also have a Czech, probably a Meopta, military 6x30. . I have a relatively modern 6x glass, a Eagle Optics Ranger, as well as old6x Porro glasses, and two 7x binoculars, a Zeiss 7x42 Classic, a very nice binocular, and a Zen-Ray ED2, which never pleased me: the edges were fuzzy and the finish was a little lacking, as one eyepiece was higher than the other. The manufacturer describes it on their web site.

My first impression of the binocular was positive. It has the look and feel of a well made binocular. A little examination showed some interesting features. The dioptre scale is on the axle while the setting is made with a lug, at the same location, using rather quiet click stops. Another surprise is that the binocular was assembled in the USA.

The focussing knob is nice and big, requiring a tiny bit of effort to move. It moves with a little slop, when changing direction and it does not feel like my Zeiss or Leica binoculars, but they cost a lot more. I used it in -5ºC, and it was a little stiffer. In comparison my Zen-Ray is much stiffer.

When I first used it, in the field, I was dismayed by blackouts. I wear glasses, so I usually just put the eyecups all the way down. This binocular specifies an eye relief of 22.3 mm. I had to move the cups up to the first detente, which solved that problem. The field of view is stated at a very respectable 432 ft, at a 1,000 yards, 8.25º. However, with its specified 6.4 magnification, I find the apparent field of view, a bit tight, but hardly constrained.

I do not use charts or triplers, when judging resolution. I think it has sufficient resolution and contrast for its purpose. The edges are not sharp to the edges, but sharp enough for picking up a bird or other target: soft rather than fuzzy, but useful for almost the whole field. Incidentally, I maintain that it is impossible for a binocular to deliver the same center sharpness to the edge, unless you “stop” the lens down. I did not notice any color fringing, even on an overcast day probably because the objective does not have a short focal length, and I am not particularly sensitive chromatic aberration. There seemed to be a bit of field curvature, if one looked for it. I did not notice any pincushion distortion.

A very strong point is that the binocular is really excellent at preventing veiling glare. Looking at a full moon, there were no ghost images. It is a bit disappointing at internal reflections, when pointed near the sun. This was seen as glare or a reflection, at the edge. I bought some Vortex lens hoods, which mitigated the glare appreciably, I find this to be poor design. Either there is some internal reflection or the lenses should have been recessed. My guess is that the designers did not want to lengthen the body, which is fairly long. Early mornings in mid-November enjoy a very low sun, which was the source of the problem. I recall a similar problem with the 8x30 Zeiss Classic. I can easily imagine this to be a “deal breaker,” for many.

A problem for me, as an eyeglass wearer, are stray reflections off the eyepiece, when there is strong side or backlighting. My guess is that there is no problem for those who do not wear specs, as the problem disappeared when I took of my specs and raised the eyecups. Unfortunately, without my specs, the binocular cannot focus to infinity and my own astigmatism come into play. Incidentally, I had the same problem with the highly praised Nikon SE 8x32. In any case, cupping the hand on the sunlit side worked well, in the early autumnal morning.

The body has some ridges, which might help with the grip. The kit includes a case, which is tight fitting, and may not work, at all IPD settings, and only one strap, which I think was made for the case, not for the binocular. That was no problem for me, as I have spares, in my home. The objective covers and the rain guard are just right.

It is probably very suited for sylvan observations, or if one has trouble holding a binocular steady. The 5 mm exit pupil should be adequate for daytime use, even in heavy canopy. It actually performed reasonably well across Central Park Lake in distinguishing among shovellers, mallards and wood ducks. On the other hand, the other day, I needed more “reach,” when trying to identify a diving duck. It may not be particularly suited for identifying warblers, from a distance. It is a bit big for either the opera or for the theatre, but it is probably well suited for sports arenas.

However, as a bird watching glass, it may work very better when used with a 10x32, which is what I did, this week. Strangely, there were few situations, this week, when I wanted to switch to the 10X. Today in particular, I never had a situation where I had trouble distinguishing among, ducks or otherwise wanted more detail. I did switch to a 10x, when I wanted a more detailed look at a great blue heron and to make certain of some shovellers across the Reservoir.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Very nice review, Arthur. :t:

As an owner, user, and admirer of Meopta enlargers, I'm particularly interested in whether you found their binoculars to be in the same league, i.e., solidly built, highly functional, and a good investment. I've been thinking of something for my grandson, who is severely myopic.

Happy Thanksgiving/Chanukah,

Ed

Not so long ago I posted a comparison between the Vortex Fury 6.5x32 and the Meopro.
My conclusion was that they were very similar. The build quality of the Meopro is marginally better. I detect a difference between them close to the edge of the FOV, where the magnification of the Meopro decreases. Is this what's called AMD?
However, this causes some difference while panning with them compared to the Fury.
I'd also like to add that their colour rendition is very neutral and very realistic.
The Meostar 8x32 has a considerably more yellow hue. The left picture is the Meopro, the right is the Meostar.

Attachments

• Neutral färgåtergivning.jpg
    Neutral färgåtergivning.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 473
  • meostar.jpg
    meostar.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Very nice review, Arthur. :t:

As an owner, user, and admirer of Meopta enlargers, I'm particularly interested in whether you found their binoculars to be in the same league, i.e., solidly built, highly functional, and a good investment. I've been thinking of something for my grandson, who is severely myopic.

Happy Thanksgiving/Chanukah,

Ed

"Solidly built, highly functional and a good investment" are good descriptors. If by investment, you mean that they will last, I would agree with all. I am severely myopic and cannot focus to infinity without my specs, but they work well with my specs, only I have to pull the cup up, a bit.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hello Looksharp,

I am insensitive to colour biases, unless they are rather marked, so I am happy that you pointed that out.

Happy bird watching,

"needed more reach"

as I get older, my vision is not as good,
10x seems to work better, except for the shakes

edj

Hello Edwin,

The shakes keep me from using a 10X, more often, and my vision, although not perfect, is still holding up.

Happy bird watching,

"Solidly built, highly functional and a good investment" are good descriptors. If by investment, you mean that they will last, I would agree with all. I am severely myopic and cannot focus to infinity without my specs, but they work well with my specs, only I have to pull the cup up, a bit.

Happy bird watching,

Hi Arthur,

Yup, being severely myopic probably also explains why you have to pull up the eyecups a bit.

Happy bino viewing,
Ed

Hi Arthur,

Yup, being severely myopic probably also explains why you have to pull up the eyecups a bit.

Happy bino viewing,
Ed

Hello Ed,

With 22.3 mm of eye relief, most eyeglass wearers may have to pull the cups, a bit.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Hi I found this thread via Google.

I purchased this same binocular and have similar thoughts on it. Mine were bought specifically for hunting, I wanted something with wide field of view and good image quality so as not to get tension headaches when glassing large fields. Plus I always wear sunglasses and have a dominant eye condition so long eye relief was a must.

Another couple things I would add is that it has a lot of size adjustment so will fit any face and can focus in very close, nearly to arm's length. It's a great all-around binocular that most anyone can use for any purpose.

Hi I found this thread via Google.

Another couple things I would add is that it has a lot of size adjustment so will fit any face and can focus in very close, nearly to arm's length. It's a great all-around binocular that most anyone can use for any purpose.

Hello OpitcsNerd1,

Thanks for the input.

Happy nature observing,

Hello Sancho,

I thank you for your kind words, as positive feedback is always appreciated.

Of late, I have been carrying the Meopta and a 10x32. However, as my review has been posted, I may revert to the 8x32, as it has a similar FOV, has a silky focussing and may have some other optical qualities, which I could record. Of course, I would expect a lot more of a glass costing five or six times more.

Although English has only five letters for vowels, the use of digraphs does allow the written representation of many diphthongs. Diacritical markings, as used in French, do allow for even more specific representation of sounds. However, orthography, especially in English, is a matter of accepted constructs. Both traveller and traveler should have the same pronunciation, even if the former has greater use on your side of the Pond.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Last edited:
Having the 6.5x32 Furys, they look nearly identical to the Meoptas, especially considering the diopter wheel placement. I've thought they were, for all intents and purposes, the same binocular.

Hello all,

Today, I looked at black building against clouds. I cannot write that there was colour fringing, but I can write that there was a hint of fuzziness, at the edge of the building, I looked closely. I would guess that was chromatic aberration, but I think it was non-existent, at the center.

Happy bird watching,

I emailed Meopta asking where all the parts came from and this was the response:

"The vast majority of our components are European. The internal mechanical
parts as well as the prism are Czech made and we use German Schott glass,
which is ground; polished; and coated in house, here in the US. The rubber
armor and I believe one or two minor mechanical parts (the outside covering
for the diopter for example) are made in the Philippines. All these parts
are then shipped to the office here in New York and assembled.
I hope this has answered your question to your satisfaction. Please let me
know if there's anything else I can do for you."

So schott glass, euro mechanicals, and American assembled for 250 bucks.

Some statements from manufacturer's representatives here seem as clear as mud but I find that reply refreshingly transparent.

Thanks,

David

The follow up question would then be ." Is there anything with this binocular not produced or assembled in Europe, the Philippines or the US?".

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back