• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Buy both and return the one you don't like..." REALLY? (1 Viewer)

I find it really baffling when I hear that some people regard Zenrays as optically close to Swarovskis. I have tried many Zenrays and although they are not bad for the money I would never put them that close to a Swaro. Allbinos has the Zenray 8x43 ED2 at 20th place out of 23 binoculars right above the Tasco's and that is about where I would place them. It really makes me question if people on this forum can really judge optics at all.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x42.html

Not everyone has vision that is sharp from edge to edge, maybe thats it.

Like with all the Audiophiles on the hunt for the best speakers etc. Claiming they hear the differences between different connecting cables, but never had their ears examined to actually know whether they are capable of it.

If someone tells about how fantastic this bino is over the other one, I trust him only if he also shares his knowledge about his own physical limitations.

Do you think this is a sensible comment to make? What if someone forwards it to Doug at Camera Land? You might not get any 2nd chances there anymore.
I don't think they care. As long as the binocular is not damaged.I didn't mean my fingers were ACTUALLY greasy but only that I had touched them.

Someone who believes that rigorous optical testing is sitting on a couch and looking at DVD labels a dozen feet away, is bound to find many things baffling.

As usual the thread degenerates into being all about Dennis. He is definitely a sort of reverse genius. HaHa.
Quite the contrary. My in the field use has really shone me the big differences between say a Zenray ED and a Swarovision or Zeiss FL alpha. It is tough situations where the alpha glass really shines. It pays in the long run to buy the best. You get what you pay for.

Dennis much of what you say here is right, much of the time, but not all of it.

And yes, it is human nature to say to someone who disagrees with you that they don't know what they are talking about. You just did the same thing here.

We are probably all guilty of it at some stage.

And for you to criticise someone for religious promotion of a model of binoculars is a bit much: we call it 'the kettle calling the pot black' over here.

Kite bins do get good write ups all over the place so I wouldn't write them off. And don't forget you have bought and returned 2 CLs before you fell in love with the one you have now. Sounds like you had a religious conversion to have changed your mind so radically.

Lee
Sorry I just can't see how the Kites 8x30 could be worth 150 pounds over the Nikon's 8x30 M7. There is too much optical similarity between the two and forgive me but steel eyecups aren't worth 150 pounds.

Mark

Could you put this on a timer software so it automatically gets posted every couple of weeks?

It will always be relevant no matter which thread it lands on ;)

All the old ones are the best ones and this one is the best of the best.

Lee

LOL

Comparing the SV to a ED3 is a poor comparison; the ED3 does not use field flattening lens elements. A more apt comparison would the the Prime HD - I owned the similar McKinley HD and compared it SEVERAL times with our volunteer's 8.5x42 SV in a variety of field conditions and there was very little difference to my eyes.

Dennis I`v no doubt you are a capable judge of any binocular, but your opinion is just too inconsistent to carry any weight taking the long view.

A shame you can`t learn to be more gracious to other`s with equal knowledge on this forum (I don`t include myself).

Dennis I`v no doubt you are a capable judge of any binocular, but your opinion is just too inconsistent to carry any weight taking the long view.

A shame you can`t learn to be more gracious to other`s with equal knowledge on this forum (I don`t include myself).

Quite

Lee

My biggest issue with Dennis' comparisons is that they are often based on previous experiences and don't seem to be done reliably side-by-side or in the field for extensive periods. Take his recent comments on the Leupold Hawthorne - previously he considered it to provide a better image than the Vanguard Endeavor after significant field time, but only just recently he said he returned the Hawthorne after only a day due to its poor image. The fact that he spouts of statements such as these in between "X is the best binocular in the world!" before selling X a few months after do not allow me to give his opinions much weight, which is a shame since he has looked through so many binoculars.

To everybody but dennis...

When dennis showed up, I mostly started to ignore this thread, but when I see how many times he's popped up, I though it might be good comic relief to take him off ignore for long enough to see what was up. Just the same old same old...dennis being dennis.

I would advise everybody to use the ignore. He is what he is, and he does what he does because that is what he wants to do, and unfortunately we give him just the reaction he needs to keep it up. Too many people, even (maybe even particularly) including me, before I wised up and put him on ignore, waste too much time they will never get back trying to "fix" him. That ain't gonna happen. He has so many posts that illustrate his idiotic inconsistency that there are too many to post up, let alone waste any more time looking for. Been there, done that, and I'm not gonna go back there. Even the amusement level has left the building.

Last edited:
It just baffles me when somebody says a Zenray ED is 95% as good as a Swarovision. It is NOT!

It no longer baffles me that you continue to spout opinions as authoritatively as you can, about so many things you haven't even tried.

Case in point the Rick Young harness.

Another case in point: You have never tried the 10x32 Swaro. You have never tried the 10x32 ZenRay. I have, I own both and can test them side-by-side and often do. They are keepers for me, not something I'm going to tire of and get rid of.

For my eyes and my criteria, the 10x32 ZR is 90-95% percent as good as the 10x32 Swaro, in my opinion, in all areas that matter to me. Considering price it is an outstanding value. I also own one other ZR, the 10x42 Prime, and it's also a keeper for me, considering "bang for the buck".

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It's just that I no longer give any of yours any credibility.

Last edited:
Mark

Could you put this on a timer software so it automatically gets posted every couple of weeks?

It will always be relevant no matter which thread it lands on ;)

All the old ones are the best ones and this one is the best of the best.

Lee

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...5&postcount=18

What's especially funny about this for me is that just before I read it I was thinking of what universal written response (short) could be used by anyone when "he" starts up with his nonsense.
Certainly there are many others, but this one is reasonably concise and succinct.

I'll copy that little jewel for future use! 3:)

Last edited:
To everybody but dennis...

When dennis showed up, I mostly started to ignore this thread, but when I see how many times he's popped up, I though it might be good comic relief to take him off ignore for long enough to see what was up. Just the same old same old...dennis being dennis.

I would advise everybody to use the ignore. He is what he is, and he does what he does because that is what he wants to do, and unfortunately we give him just the reaction he needs to keep it up. Too many people, even (maybe even particularly) including me, before I wised up and put him on ignore, waste too much time they will never get back trying to "fix" him. That ain't gonna happen. He has so many posts that illustrate his idiotic inconsistency that there are too many to post up, let alone waste any more time looking for. Been there, done that, and I'm not gonna go back there. Even the amusement level has left the building.

Steve:

A good reminder from you here.

I agree with you, it is not good to "feed the troll".

Jerry

Comparing the SV to a ED3 is a poor comparison; the ED3 does not use field flattening lens elements. A more apt comparison would the the Prime HD - I owned the similar McKinley HD and compared it SEVERAL times with our volunteer's 8.5x42 SV in a variety of field conditions and there was very little difference to my eyes.
I owned the Mckinley HD for about a day. Real dog in my opinion. I think the latest Cornell Review ranked it low also. I think the ED3 is better but still a long way from a Swarovision.

My biggest issue with Dennis' comparisons is that they are often based on previous experiences and don't seem to be done reliably side-by-side or in the field for extensive periods. Take his recent comments on the Leupold Hawthorne - previously he considered it to provide a better image than the Vanguard Endeavor after significant field time, but only just recently he said he returned the Hawthorne after only a day due to its poor image. The fact that he spouts of statements such as these in between "X is the best binocular in the world!" before selling X a few months after do not allow me to give his opinions much weight, which is a shame since he has looked through so many binoculars.
I change my opinion sometimes over time and with new experiences. For example, I liked Frank's Bresser Everest HD at first optically but after two of them fell apart on me I gave up on them. What's wrong with that?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back