• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One very lucky collared dove chick (1 Viewer)

bill lord

We saw a collared dove chick out on the road in front of the house this afternoo, huddled against the kerb, I eventually decided that I would go and lift it into the bottom of the hedge hedge that was next to it as a marginally safer place. Momma watched me and then went back to check her offspring, no problems. About an hour later the chick had a very lucky escape as my neighbours cat spotted it and did the stalking act right up to it, it even put a very heavy paw on top of the chick and then stood back. It mustn't have been very interesting as all of a sudden a piece of paper fluttered by and the cat went off to chase that. The chick was quite happy at later in the afternoon, so hopefully we shall see it tomorrow. I've attached a digiscoped picture of it taken at about 4pm about a couple of hours after the cat had it, it looks quite happy.

Attachments

• 2005-pigeon-chick.jpg
    2005-pigeon-chick.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 196
Fingers crossed it'll survive. I know they are common as anything but I like pigeons and doves...used to have a pair of Collareds visit my garden every day when I lived in town and they were such elegant birds.

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Fingers crossed it'll survive. I know they are common as anything but I like pigeons and doves...used to have a pair of Collareds visit my garden every day when I lived in town and they were such elegant birds.

GILL

They nested in our back garden last summer and successfully raised a pair of chicks, but sadly I cannot see the chick this morning and the parents are trotting around looking for it.

Aww that IS a shame but I suppose it IS nature! The parents should get on with another brood now I would imagine...more successful hopefully.

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Aww that IS a shame but I suppose it IS nature! The parents should get on with another brood now I would imagine...more successful hopefully.

GILL

Nature can be very cruel. But there's not a lot anyone can do to protect these creatures from their own failings. We shall no doubt see more of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back