• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thanks for the £600 paperweight Opticron (1 Viewer)

Ratal

Dear Opticron, I'd like to take the time to thank you for your little effort at producing a paper weight shaped like a miniature spotting scope. I just admit, at £600 it was a tad expensive, but wowser, how it holds down those sheets!

MM3 50 ED paper weight. Because that is all it is good for now, as I just won't accept the risk of taking an optic that isn't sealed and purged.

I mean, come on, the THERON SAKER at £200 was nitrogen purged and sealed. The SIGHTRON BLUE SKY at £180 are sealed and purged, my HAWKE ENDURANCE 85, my HAWKE FRONTIERS.....DITTO... every thing and any one in optics for birding, today seals and purges. I mean, unless you are Opticron. Then.... well, we all get to play pot bloody luck if our units resist a little flight and a month in harsh conditions.

This isn't the day and age of optics that are not sealed. Birders actually go to cold places, hot places, rainy places...

And here is me, trusting a British company that supposedly produces great optics.

Well, fool me once, shame on you. I won't ever purchase another Opticron product, and I'm busily spreading the word about the MM3 50.

I never knew I needed a paper weight, but gosh, this one's peachy. As for you people....

Hang your heads in shame, you utter den of #####.

If it was sold to you as "Nitrogen Purged" and "Water Resistant" and it's not, and you you're not happy about this. get your money back.

I don't see a problem. Either way, it's got a 30 warranty, personally I wouldn't worry about it until it fails to meet you expectations.

Maybe Opticron can modify it for you?

Last edited:
What did Opticron customers services say when you contacted them?

On going. I'll post about them after I speak on Monday.

The irony is, the company I purchased the MM3 50 and SDL V2 eyepiece from asked me to contact Opticron.

So Monday morning it is.

"The irony is, the company I purchased the MM3 50 and SDL V2 eyepiece from asked me to contact Opticron"

They should do that really, that's why they make a profit on them, it's all part of the service. Having said that, my understanding is that Opticron are approachable and you might get answers quicker.
I think saying that your scope is little more than £600 paper weight, is a bit unfair considering that as we speak you have not had a problem with it. Or have you?

While the 'paperweight' characterization is really OTT, I can see being aggrieved when learning that something thought to be 'waterproof' was merely 'water resistant'. There are very detailed test procedures attached to each claim and they should not be misrepresented.
Details are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

That said, it is rare that conditions are so wretched that the 'waterproof' part of the warranty is seriously tested, if only because it is really hard to bird when it is pouring. My old Zeiss 8x30BGAs are listed as merely water resistant, but they have soldiered on flawlessly even when it was really wet.
Granted, they never got the full fresh water immersion recommended for my Canon 10x42s, but clearly 'water resistant' is not just an empty slogan.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back