• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor Watching on Gibraltar Sept.1st-8th. (1 Viewer)

tchagra

Hi All

With all the westerlies that we have been experiencing on the rock it has certainly been better for birding than ringing at the obs.

Up until the 7th.this week it had been reasonable counts with.,44 Black Kites,600 + Honey Buzzards,and 28 Montagu's Harriers,bearing in mind we have all ready had vast numbers of Black Kites and Honey Buzzards through already.

The 8th.turned out to be a really interesting one with a strong early evening passage of 1300 Honey Buzzards,75 Black Kites,6 Montagu's Harriers,1 White Stork,2 Egyptian Vultures,1 Short Toed Eagle,1 Griffon Vulture,1 Sparrowhawk,and 200 + Bee Eaters.

Cheers for now

Your Spanish Correspondent

Hi Tchagra.
thats some honey-buzzard count really great news. somebody
put a post up the other day saying how bad a year it had been
here for these raptors, so this at last gives some hope for their
numbers. enjoyed your count.
bert

Just hope those honeys don't have to fly anywhere near Malta! I really must take my little lady back to Gib next year. When is the best time for birds?

Wow, some quite amazing numbers there. Just been reading a few of your Gib posts - thanks for putting them up.

One thing I've GOT to do one year, is get myself down to Gib to watch the migration!

re Gib

Hi Henry H

It all depends on the wind.To see the raptors on Gib either spring or Autumn you will need a westerly wind.,and then April-mid May is good in Spring and ;mid august through Sept is best in Autumn.

But its like any migration point ,if you get wrong wind you will nothing,which ofr Gib is an easterly,but on the other hand the levanter is best for ringing,so cannot have the best of both worlds.

The advantage of not staying on Gib itself means that there is much more choice as to where you watch the migration from.

if there is an east wind you can get down to where all the action is ,at Tarifa for instance.

Your spanish correspomdent

Re Gib.

Hi Birdman

Remember ,it all depends on the wind whether or not you see the raptor migration on Gib Either spring or Autumn you will need a westerly wind.,and then April-mid May is good in Spring and ;mid august through Sept is best in Autumn.

But its like any migration point ,if you get wrong wind you will nothing,which for Gib is an easterly,but on the other hand the levanter is best for ringing,so cannot have the best of both worlds.

The advantage of not staying on Gib itself means that there is much more choice as to where you watch the migration from.

if there is an east wind you can get down to where all the action is ,at Tarifa for instance.

Your spanish correspomdent

P.S.If you need some decent accom.for next year down this way take a look at mine in the Accommodation section,under Costa del sol

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back