• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (3 Viewers)

lots of varied greens and how you got that little sketch into it is a real lesson of how to use field work, even when it's just a scribble...but what a scribble!

Wow! Paintings of this style don't usually grab my attention as much as they should - I'm blissfully ignorant of the skill involved, I know - but I've Just zoomed into the kingfisher painting. What a masterful job you've done with the vegetation and the reflection of the water. The work here compares very favourably with something out of Chris Rose's 'In a natural light'.

An envious one

Wow, great piece Mike! The subtle reflection of the kingfisher in the water is really well done, along with everything else here.

A painting of an interesting subject, in a beautiful natural setting, rendered with superior technical ability--What more could you ask for in a painting??? Great work, Mike.

Sorry for not contributing much lately, I've had an attack of apathy, perhaps it's the change in the weather, but I'm determined to shake it off and wake myself up a bit!

I'll try to catch up later today.

Mike

great Kingisher with everything running into the line of the blue whizz

watch out for that apathy- it may just be the realisation that summer has come and gone with not enough time out in the field + autumn with all its hordes of waders and wildfowl isn't quite here yet

great kingfisher! The horizontal composition with the reeds bent over lead the eye - what a fun piece!! (to look at, I mean... some are nightmares to paint - lol!)

Thanks All.

I tried to use the format and the directional quality of the reeds to emphasise the movement and I added some floating bits to act as 'whoosh lines' like the cartoon device. Glad it's worked a bit. The painting is 10"x24" so the kinfisher is no more than about an inch in length. Getting birds into the landscapes where they belong is something I've been working at, again trying to get away from the bird on stick format a bit.

Mike

lots of varied greens and how you got that little sketch into it is a real lesson of how to use field work, even when it's just a scribble...but what a scribble!

Well I was all set to say something identical about the wonderful 'scribble' and then your use of it in the painting. But Colleen has beat me to it. Still it's true! And a great example of how useful field sketches can be. Wonderful job. I hope this boots apathy out of the door and into the next county.

this is one of the greatest kingfishers you've done among the ma,ny that delight, this one really goes beyond just admiring the bird's plumage and form, this one shows the bird as it is really. Superb work.

Thanks guys.

Here's the only page of sketches I did this weekend, it's really quiet at the moment. I must have sketched lapwings a million times but they're still hard to resist.

I did spend most of the weekend working on a little something on a theme that has appealed for some time now. All will be revealed as soon as I'm done, no more WIPs from me so that I can avoid the jinx that they put on a painting!

Mike

Attachments

• threelappies.jpg
    threelappies.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 45
Very nice, Mike! I would love to be able to sketch those guys, they look like great subjects. I've never even seen one...:-O!

Very nice, Mike! I would love to be able to sketch those guys, they look like great subjects. I've never even seen one...:-O!

My sentiments exactly. Every time I see someone else's version I think, boy those look like fun to draw. Of course I'm sure it's not as simple as that. I'm sure some of our birds look like fun to draw too, until you actually try to get them down on paper.;) As usual your sketches are a pleasure to view, just full of life.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back