• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on monopod and heads (1 Viewer)

Nick Leech

United Kingdom
I am thinking of buying my first monopod. I will be using it for photographing birds with either my Canon SX50 superzoom or with my Canon 7D with 400mm/f5.6 lens.

I was thinking either Manfrotto 680B or Manfrotto MM294A4.

I know a lot of people recommend the 680B, but a few people say it is slightly on the heavy side (overkill for a Canon SX50?). I have seen some favourable reviews for the MM294A4 - people who say that it is strong enough for a 7D with 400mm/f5.6 despite being quite a bit lighter than the 680B. So I am leaning towards the MM294A4.

As regards tilt heads for a monopod. Is it necessary to have one at all? I do not envisage needing to switch from landscape to portrait format shots for bird photography. Surely you can achieve a measure of tilt simply by leaning the monopod slightly off-vertical forwards or backwards? Is it really necessary to have a tilt head at all? Might a tilt head be an unnecessary addition to the weight of the monopod set-up?

If people think I do need a tilt head, I would go for one with a quick-release plate. Would people recommend the Manfrotto 234RC?

Any advice welcome. Thanks folks!

I think a head is overkill for a monopod. I got a cheap monopod from jessops (about a tenner). I use it with a scope at migration time. I find the advantage is the manouverabilty.

If i'm focusing on none moving objects not quite as practical as a scope....

I have a 680B pod which is fine for a DSLR + 400/5.6 set-up, maybe a tad heavier than some but the difference is hardly worth worrying about.
As for the Head I certainly think a tilt head is worth it for birds, without it there would be times when you would be almost falling over trying to lean forward or backwards and that would not help with steadying the pod. Sure you can easily attain a measure of tilt by leaning but there would be times when that would not be enough.
I have 234RC head but IMO it is cr#p, I now use a Sirui L-10 tilt head which is far superior as it has a much smoother action (it is supplied with a arca swiss plate). Have used it with both the 400/5.6 and SX50.

My advice is buy a cheap one and if you like it upgrade. Wy spend a couple of hundred euros on something that you then don't like or use. Start at ten and if it suits you go for it.

As I said mine was cheap and I don't use it as much as the tripod but is usefull in the car or out of the sunroof or on migration days.

Can't speak for photography because most of mine is hand held.

I disagree that a tilt head is necessary. Adds weight and instability, and if you're doing things properly you'll be want to be more at less at the same level as the bird and thus have no need for any extravagant amount of tilting. Just get an Arca clamp like those made by Kirk or Wimberley, screw that onto the monopod, and you're good to go. Alternatively just screw the monopod lens foot directly onto the lens foot or, in your case, camera base. Be careful not to do this at an angle lest you wreck the thread - I use a clamp partially for this reason, and partially for versatility.
680B is brilliant for the money, and you can often pick them up second hand for around £30 + p&p. There are few greater bargains.
Rgds
Jonathan

I do almost all my long lens shooting (300 - 500mm) from a monopod. It's just much more flexible than using a tripod. Even shooting with shorter lenses using a monopod takes some load of the joints.

Used a Manfrotto Alu version for years and just recently picked up a Jobu Carbon monopod for a low low price. The carbon one is lighter and stiffer, offers better dampening, but the Manfrotto did its job for years and if I would have had to pay regular price for the Jobu I would be still using the old stick .......

I always used a head on the monopods. After trying a few different ones I settled on a gimbal style head, makes a huge differences when handling a heavy rig.
Using a scope or a small light camera on a monopod is a different story, handling wise a very different game.

A word on the really cheap monopods, I had issues with the leg clamps giving way under the load of a dSLR with a heavy long lens. The legs would slowly slide back into each other.

Ulli

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back