• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diascope 85 vs Kowa TSN-824 (1 Viewer)

swamp_rattler

Hello all,
I have both the Diascope 85 and Kowa TSN-824, both with zoom eyepieces. I just started to compare their quality, and I havent' been able to try them on birds...just in my backyard. So far my results are inconclusive...they are both nice scopes. Its difficult comparing their quality since I have to keep on switching them on my one tripod. I have noticed that the Kowa seems easier to use, with less turning on the focus wheel to get to your destination (so focusing is faster). Also, the zeiss focus wheel seems pretty stiff. From what I can tell, the kowa measures up very well. I wouldn't be that surprised if after my testing is complete that the Kowa comes up on top. After hearing all the rave reviews of the Diascope, I am a little disappointed...I thought it would be clearly better than the Kowa...not yet though. BTW, both of these scopes were USED when bought. I would REALLY enjoy hearing others opinions on the Diascope, especially when compared to other scopes.

When I was searching for a new scope, I have the chance to try the Zeiss 85 against the Kowa 824. The view was nicier (comfortable) with the zeiss and much 3D, but thats all. I find the image too soft and yellow and still prefered the kowa despit the narrower view. I have try the Zeiss also in an other store, with the same conclusion.

Swamp,

It really could go either way. Between two perfect specimen, my bet would be that the Zeiss would slightly outresolve the Kowa and be a tad brighter, whereas the Kowa would have more natural colors, probably marginally better contrast and have better baffling against annoying reflections when viewing towards the sun. The differences between fields of view, eye relief and ergonomics can be a factor, but save for the field of view where Zeiss rules, the rest is up to personal preferences. In the real life situation you are in where neither specimen is likely to be perfect, you must trust your eyes and heart and keep the one which seems sharper and more enjoyable to view with.

The Kowa 823/824 these days seems to be a seriously underrated scope. Most birders looking for premium optics bypass it entirely while in actual fact it is in the same league as the S/Z/N trio. Perhaps the composite body and less-than-gorgeous appearance turn people off?

Kimmo

Last edited:
kabsetz said:
The Kowa 823/824 these days seems to be a seriously underrated scope. Most birders looking for premium optics bypass it entirely while in actual fact it is in the same league as the S/Z/N trio. Kimmo

Kimmo,

what is the reason you excluded L? I.e. why did you not talk about a S/Z/N/L quartet?

Robert,

Simple oversight of course. Also, of the top five (L,N,S,K and Z), the Leica Apo 77 is the oldest construction, is the least bright, and I have also not happened to see one with quite the resolution of the better samples of the other four. But you are right, it should be on any list. My apologies.

Kimmo

kabsetz said:
Robert,

Simple oversight of course. Also, of the top five (L,N,S,K and Z), the Leica Apo 77 is the oldest construction, is the least bright, and I have also not happened to see one with quite the resolution of the better samples of the other four. But you are right, it should be on any list. My apologies.

Kimmo

Kimmo,

I had meant the discussion was on the smaller scopes and thus wondered about the Leica 62's position in that game. So, it is actually an oversight on my part.
As it happens, however, a Leica Apo77 is my main scope (I have a Nikon EDIII for travels, as well). And as I am fully aware of it being the oldest of the modern lot, I am certainly interested in comparing performances. So far, I have not felt that there might have been a major advance when I look through other (newer) scopes. At least from my subjective point of view, I think the advances in the binocular field have been much greater recently. Would this "gut feeling" be supported by your actual measurements?

Only had time today to do a quick comparison...set up tripod about 25 feet away from some pet birds I have (cockatiel, rosella)...neither scope really outperformed the other. But you're right Kabsetz, the Kowa's design is nowhere near as beautiful as the zeiss. The Zeiss is such an attractive scope! And with eyepiece its about 2 inches shorter, and less bulky. But as far as view goes, it is seeming as though neither scope really dominates the other. Hope to try them out in the field soon!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back