• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baldock Quail Chances? (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Hi,

I have been keenly watching the reports of Quail singing and 'showing well' on the Wallington to Icknield way.

Seeing as I am profoundly deaf this represents possibly my best chance of seeing (ticking) Quail in the UK (and the world), I am very tempted at a day trip from Devon.

What I want to ask is if I was only able to have a couple of hours to walk from Baldock railway station and back would I stand a good chance of actually seeing a Quail singing on the track?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Given the similarity between the location Baldock and your avatar's sidekick Baldrick, I reckon it must be a good omen - go for it Andrew, may the luck gods smile down upon you ;)

Andrew,

I only live about twenty minutes away and saw the bird with my son last night. All my previous views of Quail (either in the UK or abroad) have consisted of a short flight view, or a glimpse of them running into cover.

However, there is an individual (I assume it is the same one, there are apparently six birds in total there) that has taken to occasionally singing in the open on the track. We watched it for over five minutes last night singing completely in the open. Admittedly it does spend most of its time singing from cover, but with a bit of patience (possibly an hour or two), you should get good views as long as you keep a reasonable distance (so take a 'scope.)

Good luck if you go,
Toby

Cheers Jos and Toby. I have been caught napping. The travel arrangements would have been really ideal today so if they continue to perform well through the next week I highly expect to be taking a shot at them next Friday.

I will have a wider amount of time to work with with the last coach back home from London being at 9pm instead of 6pm.

Cheers Jos and Toby. I have been caught napping. The travel arrangements would have been really ideal today so if they continue to perform well through the next week I highly expect to be taking a shot at them next Friday.

I will have a wider amount of time to work with with the last coach back home from London being at 9pm instead of 6pm.

Hi Andrew ,

Yes this would be an exelent chance to see the birds , I,m pretty local & on a quick visit Thursday had 3 sightings within 10 minutes ! , best viewed from the metal gate looking south east along the track.

PH:t:

Evening PH,

Thanks for the reasuring words of comfort. My mind is now looking ahead to next Friday. I might even make it over Thursday early afternoon and stay in London/Baldock according to success. If I see them Thursday then Friday is a spare day to visit Barnes in London.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Hi,

What I want to ask is if I was only able to have a couple of hours to walk from Baldock railway station and back would I stand a good chance of actually seeing a Quail singing on the track?

Cheers,
Andrew.

You will need a good deal of luck.

I spent over 4 hours at the site on Saturday and they did not show.

Dave

What range are these birds being seen at - curious no photos have appeared yet?

They can be reasonably close at times though I would certainly recommend a scope. I too am surprised that there are no photos as they are certainly close enough for reasonable digiscope shots.

Does anyone have some directions/grid reference for these birds? I'll be passing that way on Friday and might give it a go.

Thanks David, I'll be taking the A505 anyway so that's dead easy to get to. Baldock is much easier since that new bypass was built, I've been stuck in some truly terrible traffic jams there!

All set to go tomorrow. Should be there early afternoon.

What's the latest? No reports so far today.

Hello Andrew ,
I,ve just noticed that myself,I still think you will see it/them ! , its been blazing hot in herts today but with a strong easterly breeze,if you dont have to be up to early keep an eye out for any evening sightings,someone may go there when it cools down a bit, as its quite exposed , good luck!:t:

Thanks. I have from early afternoon until about five or six then I have to leg it back to the railway station so hoping for the best.

hello,

i am up in st. neots and am thinking of giving the old quail a shot, would you people out there reckon early morning or early evening is best?

cheers for any help

karl

hello,

i am up in st. neots and am thinking of giving the old quail a shot, would you people out there reckon early morning or early evening is best?

cheers for any help

karl

Hello Karl,

Probably early morning but certainly not restricted to that, I saw them at around mid-day and there have been plenty of evening reports.

PH

Vini, vidi, Quail!

Really delighted to nail one! After leaving home at 5am, using a coach to London, the tube, a train to Baldock then Shank's Pony to the five bar gate at 2pm, I waited and watched for some time. A few birders came and went all claiming to hear them in the barley (I presume it is barley). Plenty of Sklarks, Corn Buntings and Red-leg Partridges were using the track. Two hares further up in a distant set aside.

After five I had little time left before having to walk back to the station. A birder called Robert offered me a lift back when I wanted so as I could have "five more minutes" which was manna to the ears of the fisherman that I used to be.

At ten to six I got something in my scope that made me look up through my bins quickly. It was an unmistakable Quail in flight straight across the top of the barley for at least 200 yards before banking sharp and dropping into the crop.

After near four hours of scope squinting and stress (plus that bloody rain) it was euphoria.

Back to Baldock, train to King's Cross, Piccadilly line, off at Leicester Square for ten mins to grab a £4.50 chinese takeway buffet (very, very good), back on Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith and caught the coach back home to Devon with a moron sat opposite me but did I care? No, got Quail ticked.

Home and back in bed at 1:20am. One bast**d of a bird ticked for a deaf birder.

Thanks to Robert for the "five extra minutes" if you are reading this!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back