• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Haweswater Golden Eagles (1 Viewer)

osborne

The local news carried a story about the disappearance of the female Golden Eagle in the Lake District ( presumed dead ). I think she may have been rather old anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong , but didn't the male die in the last few years and was quickly replaced by a younger male from elsewhere ? So perhaps there is hope for the precarious English Golden Eagle population presuming she has died ? Would it be likely that there will be a replacement female ? Do any raptor experts on here know what the likelihood of this would be ?

Last edited:
seb_seb said:
Could they not introduce a new female?
That would 'devalue' them in the sight of many birders, make them no better than other feral escapes . . . but equally, if someone found an injured eagle, and released it after it had recovered, it would be as good a place as any to release it

Michael

Thanks for that link Elizabeth. I had been looking for information about the Hawsewater two. As a chap at work had engaged me in conversation about the female being missing presumed dead, after seeing I had an eagle on my PC as a screensaver. Up to that time I hadn't read any articles on the subject, the fact that she might have been past reproducing could be a blessing in disguise. If the male manages to attract another younger mate.

Michael Frankis said:
That would 'devalue' them in the sight of many birders, make them no better than other feral escapes

Why would that matter Michael? Surely the survival of Golden Eagles in England is more important than whether birders could claim it as a truely wild bird? Personally I wouldn't care if they dyed it green and taught it to speak, so long as it produced eagletts.

saluki

Reading various 'Eagle' books about the birds in Scotland, it seems that if the male is 'lost' the female can find another mate very quickly and in some cases in a matter of days. Not sure whether it works the other way around.

The last reports I read in the local paper was that the Male was presumed dead and they were hoping another one might appear in the area to mate with the Female .Apparently the Female is still there.Oh,yes both the Osprey's have returned,and the viewing site is now open.

If that report is correct Christine it doesn't look very promising for any breeding possibilities from the Hawsewater eagles. Although she might attract a mate more easily if Colin's research is conclusive.

Yes he is. We went there this weekend. On arrival he was sitting on a ledge near the nest site. Later he did a display but was disturbed by a nearby helicopter. It looked very much as if the GE was going to mob the helicopter, but fortunately didn't. Could have been somewhat disastrous.

Dave

Was this the Golden Eagle?

We were at Shap Abbey just before sunset today and got a long but distant look at a large bird of prey. We couldn't see its markings, but it was a least as big as the hawks we've seen in South Devon in the past.

Is it possible that this was a Golden Eagle from Haweswater? We were 4-5 miles East of the lake and I didn't know there were eagles there till I checked online when we got home.

My partner Rose thought that the bird flew out of the ruined tower of the abbey, but we can't be sure.

Thanks
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
It was possibly a Buzzard that you saw, though you never know. According to the staff at the Eagle watchpoint he hasn't left the valley since he arrived. He spends his time perched at various points around the valley or near one of the two nest sites or displaying over the valley.

Views were a little disappointing on the day that we went, but by the sounds of it they can be a bit hit and miss. Typically the day before it had been a cloudy morning and he'd been almost flying overhead! If it's a cloudy day don't let it put you off as he flies around the valley with closer views rather than flying above it. He's normally on the wing for the first time before 11.00am.

Ring Ousel were loated on the valley side along with a pair of Peregrine. Wheatear and Mipits were also by the watchpoint. Goldcrest and Chaffinch in the wood along the path to the watchpoint and numerous Geese, Goosander and Oystercatcher on the lake.

Anyone going for a visit should be aware that it's a long winding narrow road of about five miles to the car park at the head of Haweswater and another two miles though easy walk to the watchpoint.

The car park is small and even mid-week gets very busy. We were there for 9.30 am and got one of the last places - it's free by the way!

Attachments

• P1000547ao.jpg
    P1000547ao.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 191
  • P1000546ao.jpg
    P1000546ao.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts Ian. Looking at some buzzard photos, I think it was probably a buzzard. Have to remember my camera next time :eek:(. Sadly with my back I wouldn't make the 2 mile walk so that particular pleasure will have to wait.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back