• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

external hard drive stop working (1 Viewer)

foxydave

Hi i brought a samsung story external hard drive move all my photos on to it ok . today its dead no light . its only a week old does mean i have all my photos cheers any help please:C

Hiya Dave,

You really meant move, right - not copied? Ouch :(

First, don't panic. It's probably a fault with the box or power supply not with the hard drive inside the box.

If you don't have a backup set of your data, it's probably best to forget the warranty because all the supplier is obliged to do is offer you a replacement or refund (though, depending on where it was bought, they may attempt basic data recovery for you).

The hard drive inside it is a standard SATA drive and once the external box has been opened, it should be straightforward to remove and connect it to a recent computer as a slave drive to check if it works or not and that your data is still there.

So, my first steps would be to 'break' the box and connect the drive to a PC.

Andy.

hi andrew thanks for response unfortunatly i am a idiot when it comes to computers just dont understand them .but i will see if i can get someone in cheer mate

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back