• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

information needed for guided birdwatching in Iguazu Falls (Brazil+Argentina) (1 Viewer)

mandardeshmukh

Hello,
I am new to this forum and had a specific question. I am travelling to Iguazu falls Brazil for work at the end of august and plan to spend 4 days 3nights
doing some birdwatching after the work is done. I had contacted a a birding guide trogontours.com and they said it will cost USD 1490 for everything included a dedicated guide as there are no other people. It seems a bit high to me and I wanted to check if this is reasonable. I have to say that they have good reviews for their tours.
I need a guide as I have never visited this part of the world. If you think this is
too much can you recommend some other trustworthy birdguid who could organize something for me in Iguazu Falls area.

I would appreciate any help.

Mandar

Many thanks for your response. I have sent Raphael an email. The price I had quoted includes everything transportation, hotel, food and guide.
Do you think that this is reasonable in that case?

best,
Mandar

Try contacting Raphael Sobania at [email protected] (you can also check his web site at http://www.sobania.com.br/ ) . He can either guide you himself or suggest somebody that can. I think that the price quoted is on the high side but it depends on what it includes.

... The price I had quoted includes everything transportation, hotel, food and guide.
Do you think that this is reasonable in that case?

Well, I think it is a bit on the high side. For comparison, a similar tour in the Brazilian Pantanal and Chapada out of Cuiabá for 6 nights/7 days would cost about the same per person. Given that the Iguaçu area is a major tourist hot spot probably lodging and meals are a bit more expensive. Compare with costs for lodging, food and car rental in order to get a feeling for the costs. On the other hand having somebody else worrying about the logistics, the driving, finding places and birds is also very valuable.

Perhaps the price includes accommodation for one or more nights at the Sheraton Iguazú - which is unfortunately a typically bland but very expensive tourist hotel. But it's the only hotel within Parque Nacional Iguazú on the Argentinian side, and lodging there makes it possible to bird within the park at dusk/night/dawn. [For day visitors to the park, access is limited to 08:00-18:00.]

Many thanks for both your responses. The hotel accommodation is not in Sheraton. In any case very few websites/guides that I contacted actually responded positively. I like the team they have and the information that they have on their site. As was mentioned I am new to this area and cannot setup the logistics. This arrangement does take that headache away. I am the only person and the guide will help spend time to look for specific birds if I am interested. My travel schedule did not allow for flexibility in joining with other groups.

best,
Mandar

Hello,

I never been before last year in this area.

For landscape and waterfall I prefered Iguazu national park.

For bird watching I used to visit parc provencial Uruguai, which is about 80 km away.

Tent or camper van are helpful, but there are also quite inexpensive accomadation 40 km away.

About guide I have no idea, I did not found a guide in Argentina.

Best regards
Dieter

Hi everybody.
There are some good guides within the Iguazú area (speaking of the argentinian side, where I live).
Trogontours has great guides (I know almost all of them). You can check www.iguazubirdwatching.com.ar also, Daniel is another good guide.
I also work as a guide, but in the Urugua-í zone, where I have a small reserve.
We are working along with the Iguazú guides in order to develop a "birding route" linking Iguazú and "San Antonio" in the southern edge of the Urugua-í Park.
If you need information about the area I will gladly answer.

Birding in Iguazu

hi mandardeshmukh -

I know this is a bit late, but maybe it will serve for others. The price you were quotes does sound high
Have a great birding day!
Guy ;>=

Bird Watching Argentina

Hello,
I am new to this forum and had a specific question. I am travelling to Iguazu falls Brazil for work at the end of august and plan to spend 4 days 3nights
doing some birdwatching after the work is done. I had contacted a a birding guide trogontours.com and they said it will cost USD 1490 for everything included a dedicated guide as there are no other people. It seems a bit high to me and I wanted to check if this is reasonable. I have to say that they have good reviews for their tours.
I need a guide as I have never visited this part of the world. If you think this is
too much can you recommend some other trustworthy birdguid who could organize something for me in Iguazu Falls area.

I would appreciate any help.

Mandar

Dear Friend: I sincerely hope you have enjoyed this trip to Iguazu Falls. See you!
http://facebook.com/ZEKI.PHOTOGRAPHER

This post is a little late to say the least, but for anyone else that is interested, another guide is Daniel Somay who is well know on the Argentine side. His email is [email protected] . As for the question about price, it is going to have a lot to do not only with what is included in the trip, but also exchange rates, which can vary quite a bit over time. Sometimes this would give an advantage to the Argentine side of the falls, other times the Brazilian side. Brazil's exchange rate against the dollar has fallen to the lowest levels since 2005, so it is a buyer´s market.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back