• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zino's petrel??? (1 Viewer)

Dipped on these on four consecutive afternoon / evening pelagic trips from Maderia in August/September 2012 - despite being in the company of Dr. Zino on one of them. Apparently they are not easy but do occasionally get seen from Maderia Windbirds' pelagics at that time of year. Alternatively go for a guided night walk to the mountain breeding grounds to hear the calls & possibly see a fleeting silhouette!

Dipped on these on four consecutive afternoon / evening pelagic trips from Maderia in August/September 2012 - despite being in the company of Dr. Zino on one of them. Apparently they are not easy but do occasionally get seen from Maderia Windbirds' pelagics at that time of year. Alternatively go for a guided night walk to the mountain breeding grounds to hear the calls & possibly see a fleeting silhouette!

:t:

Forresttwitcher, did you do the night time visit to the colony? If so what was it like?

No, I walked this and the adjacent peak during the day just to get in the highest point on the island but there was no hope of seeing one by then. I spoke to some who had done the night visit & have read other trip reports and it seems it is not one to do if you do not like heights or are relatively sure-footed and the call is about all you will get; although that would be quite something I suppose.

The night trip is an amazing experience , and I can recommend it! You can't see the drops properly so not that scary! ;-) We heard Manx Shearwater too, down at the extreme south of their range they nest in the mountains.

I was out in Madeira four years ago for them and saw them well, see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=178253

I was back out last week and saw one bird well and several Desertas Petrels too (plus all the expected storm-petrels etc).

Also, look at the trip reports at http://www.madeirawindbirds.com/en/tours/zinos_petrel_pelagic_expedition.html - these list species seen on each trip so you can get a feel which weeks are better for Zino's. Its all weather dependant of course. But I highly recommend the Madeira Wind Birds pelagics having now done two.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back