• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 10X42 HT compared to the SF and SV (1 Viewer)

Hi from Italy

Yesterday I and my daughter went into an oasis of northern Italy. We were observing with the Zeiss Victory HT 8x42 and the Zeiss Victory 8x42 SF. My daughter has approached a Galaxy S7 Edge to the eyepieces so we have decided to organize a riddle for you.
Obviously it's just a game because it is almost impossible to get perfect photos with this method. However: you will only see the middle part of the two images. Which is the one obtained with the Zeiss HT? On my website you can see a photo at 2000 px.
Kind Regards from italy
Piergiovanni, Ersilia

http://www.binomania.it/indovinello_zeiss/

Pier:

I went to your site and read the discussion blog and outcome of the riddle.

Nicely done. Keep up the good work.

Jerry

Well, I was right! :king: :loveme: (some others not so much! :) ;)

- it was the colour casts that were a more accurate representation of the bins (SF left/ HT right), which means that the brightness levels were widely distorted. Jerry, the extra Fov of the SF will not result in this brightness difference since the luminance of the target is the same, and so are the objective diameters - more likely that something unexpected has happened automatically with the phone's camera :brains: ...... Pier himself said it was just a bit of fun ...... :cat:

Well worth a click through to the 2nd page of the forum linked, since the full images show some interesting Fov comparison, and some interesting field characteristic comparison too ....... :t:

Chosun :gh:

Hi from Italy.
Excuse me for the absence.
Tonight I did a further test. I did not have much time so I took a free hand with a Canon Powershot G7x Mark II. White Balance no automatic. I used on "Cloudly"
This is the result. For the camera the HT is slightly more 'luminous. I have used diaphragm priority, (AV)
1/40 for the HT and 1 1/25 a for the SF. I tried to pull accurately the lens to eyepiece but I should try with tripod and an adapter for phonescoping

Attachments

• ht.jpg
    ht.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 145
  • sf.jpg
    sf.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 148
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back