• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cairngorms (1 Viewer)

Gander

Just back from a week's family holiday in the Cairngorms. I didn't get to do any serious birding, as my list of birds not found would testify. Most frustrating were the Crested Tits. Actually got to hear them once, but that was as close as I got. Dropped in at Avielochan to try and find Slavonian Grebe, but just found Little Grebe. Tried Lochindorb for Black-Throated Diver, but no joy. No Ptarmigan, Dotterel, Red Grouse or Snow Bunting on Cairngorm. No Crossbill or Capercaillie in the forests.

However, as I first indicated, I didn't have any real time to invest in looking for the birds, as priorities were else where. That said, I did find a few nice birds along the way (photos attached). Best was the family of Ring Ouzel on Cairngorm, but didn't manage a photo.

Attachments

• DSCN6680.jpg
    DSCN6680.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN6692.jpg
    DSCN6692.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN6735.jpg
    DSCN6735.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN6753.jpg
    DSCN6753.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN6979.jpg
    DSCN6979.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 120
Yank birder here, practicing her ID skills. I've got Siskin, Spotted Flycatcher (Thanks, Clark), Great Spotted Woodpecker, and Osprey, but what is the plain yellow bird with the finch bill on the peanut feeder?

EDIT: Oh, wait ... Greenfinch?

Kathi

Last edited:
Yank birder here, practicing her ID skills. I've got Siskin, Spotted Flycatcher (Thanks, Clark), Great Spotted Woodpecker, and Osprey, but what is the plain yellow bird with the finch bill on the peanut feeder?

Kathi

All correct:t:

Kathi

Yes, well done. :t:

And a few general interest wildlife shots.

Attachments

• DSCN6704.jpg
    DSCN6704.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN6713.jpg
    DSCN6713.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN7032.jpg
    DSCN7032.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN6721.jpg
    DSCN6721.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 92
Just back from a week's family holiday in the Cairngorms. I didn't get to do any serious birding, as my list of birds not found would testify. Most frustrating were the Crested Tits. Actually got to hear them once, but that was as close as I got. Dropped in at Avielochan to try and find Slavonian Grebe, but just found Little Grebe. Tried Lochindorb for Black-Throated Diver, but no joy. No Ptarmigan, Dotterel, Red Grouse or Snow Bunting on Cairngorm. No Crossbill or Capercaillie in the forests.

However, as I first indicated, I didn't have any real time to invest in looking for the birds, as priorities were else where. That said, I did find a few nice birds along the way (photos attached). Best was the family of Ring Ouzel on Cairngorm, but didn't manage a photo.

Sadly the birds at Avielochan deserted the nest, as did the Divers at Lochindorb. Both due to human disturbance.

Last edited:
Sadly the birds at Avielochan deserted the nest, as did the Divers at Lochindorb. Both due to human disturbance.

That's sad beyond belief. The birds are teetering on the brink as it is. Why these people have to get so close is beyond me.

*If they want super up close shots of BTD, go to Lairg and watch them on Little Loch Shin. They sail past like Mallards.

That's sad beyond belief. The birds are teetering on the brink as it is. Why these people have to get so close is beyond me.

*If they want super up close shots of BTD, go to Lairg and watch them on Little Loch Shin. They sail past like Mallards.

I think Anglers have been a problem In the past at Lochindorb but It would'nt surprise me Is some selfish photographers played their part In the disturbance.Some just can't get close enough,despite having massive lenses.
:-C

I think Anglers have been a problem In the past at Lochindorb but It would'nt surprise me Is some selfish photographers played their part In the disturbance.Some just can't get close enough,despite having massive lenses.
:-C

It would astonish me as I've never seen a birder or birder/photographer up there with a boat, and I'd be more than slightly surprised if one was prepared to trust their big white lens to a kayak.

Fishermen - yes. Grockles - almost certainly, assuming the anglers don't shoot people trespassing in boats or whatever the term is up there. Especially since people with little short lenses habitually get too close to everything, or try to....

What I'm not surprised about is an opportunist ignorant anti-photographer comment.

John

It would astonish me as I've never seen a birder or birder/photographer up there with a boat, and I'd be more than slightly surprised if one was prepared to trust their big white lens to a kayak.

Fishermen - yes. Grockles - almost certainly, assuming the anglers don't shoot people trespassing in boats or whatever the term is up there. Especially since people with little short lenses habitually get too close to everything, or try to....

What I'm not surprised about is an opportunist ignorant anti-photographer comment.

John

The main problem at Lochindorb is anglers on the shore. Though believe it or not there were two guys out on the loch with lenses chasing them in a kayak a few years ago.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back