• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Birding in French Alps? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Europe
Hi everyone,

We are visiting my brother & family in Lyon, France over Christmas, and as we fly to/from Geneva, hope to fit in a day or so birding in the French Alps en route.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for ski resorts or other areas which are reliable for the alpine specialities in the winter?

Rock Partridge would be top of the list of things we would like to see, but realistically, would settle for Snowfinch, Alpine Chough, raptors etc ;)

Thanks.

I was thinking of spending a long weekend around annecy in February. Are there any good spots for winter birds, nutcrackers, snow finch, that i could persuade the family to visit? Hopefully they could play in the snow while I birdwatch.
Thanks

I've only ever been there at April, but La Plagne has been reliable for Snow Finch, Nutcracker & Alpine Accentor during the 3 times I have been there.... plus lots of Alpine Choughs.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks - we'll give it a try if we get a chance - any hints/tips for where to go at La Plagne?

Liz

Hi Liz,

Good luck....

We usually stay in Belle Plagne and have seen Nutcracker in the trees around that location (although I suspect that any place is pretty much as likely as anywhere else).

Alpine Accentors and (particularly) Snowfinch can often be seen in flight but particularly favour the mountain restaurants above the tree-line, where they come and scrounge food.

Alpine Choughs are everywhere - sometimes in huge numbers!

All the best... Ray

Attachments

• Alpine Accentor.jpg
    Alpine Accentor.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Snow Finch.jpg
    Snow Finch.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back