• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

robhope

Well, I'll start then...
After 14 years and approaching 500 species, I finally got to see one of the 3 moths that got me into this, The Herald...

I walked home a slightly different way, but there in a car port less than 100 yards from mine was this, maybe common, but to me a most fantastic moth! Only the Clifden Nonpareil and Emperor Moth to go...

Attachments

• The Herald.JPG
    The Herald.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 140
Another Macro lifer for me on the wall at work. Again a common one, but a female Ghost Moth Hepialus humuli. Happy days...

robhope

Attachments

• Ghost Moth.JPG
    Ghost Moth.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 115
Magpie Moth

Found this beauty this morning in the hall , not a rarity but good anyway
Found in Four Marks , Hampshire

Ashley

Attachments

• magpie moth.jpg
    magpie moth.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Had my second Jersey Tiger of the year in a Fulham garden. Cydalima perspectalis seems to have really taken off- today I saw one in the same garden in Fulham, another in Battersea +a third in my parent's garden near Acton. None of these gardens have Box, but have seen quite a few in different places over the last couple of weeks.

So far this month (NE.London)....not many Noctuids, however no shortage of micros and in particular Pyralids, that said...I've had a couple of ''gems'' so definitely not complaining. Last week only my 3rd ever (9 years) Leopard Moth, and last night again, only my 3rd ever Waved Black! As with most of the moths...found outside the trap, of course not forgetting my perennial C.perspectalis still turning up in one's and two's (although did have four one night)....I await my 1st (for the year) Hawkmoths with trepidation.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1520483.jpeg  Leopard Moth 5..jpg
    P1520483.jpeg Leopard Moth 5..jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 122
  • P1520761.jpeg   Waved Black on glass.jpg
    P1520761.jpeg Waved Black on glass.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 122
  • P1520747.jpeg  Waved Black 8..jpeg
    P1520747.jpeg Waved Black 8..jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 132
  • P1520726.jpeg  Small Magpie 5..jpeg
    P1520726.jpeg Small Magpie 5..jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 118
Two new lifers for me, both by the bike shed at work!

Small Scallop
Maiden's Blush

Quite an amazing few weeks.

robhope

UK Leps 463

Attachments

• Small Scallop.JPG
    Small Scallop.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Maiden's Blush.JPG
    Maiden's Blush.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 122
Best of the bunch at Titchfield Haven this month has been Langmaid's Yellow Underwing, probably a first for the reserve.

Dave W

Large moth - Enfield

I must admit I was rather excited by this moth in our garden, thinking it was a migrant Gypsy Moth. Then I read the UK Moths website. Apparently DEFRA have tried to remove them as the larva can be destructive, and the current London populations are presumable feral? So in short it's a bit like that Box Tree Moth that we see so much, here in the London area. Is all of this about right Ken?

Kind Regards, Phil

Attachments

• Possible Gypsy Moth email.JPG
    Possible Gypsy Moth email.JPG
    467 KB · Views: 148
I must admit I was rather excited by this moth in our garden, thinking it was a migrant Gypsy Moth. Then I read the UK Moths website. Apparently DEFRA have tried to remove them as the larva can be destructive, and the current London populations are presumable feral? So in short it's a bit like that Box Tree Moth that we see so much, here in the London area. Is all of this about right Ken?

Kind Regards, Phil

I've only had one Gypsy Moth Phil, although I get plenty of C.perspectalis (Box Tree Moth). I suppose...as we have been importing immigrant organisms for the last 300-400 yrs. we might as well embrace and enjoy them all.

Cheers

I've seen a fair number of Gypsy Moths at a couple of west London sites. Last 2 years Box Tree Moth all over the place!

Saw the aberration lutescens of Jersey Tiger near the railway in North Wembley + after getting home found a male Gypsy Moth sitting on the foliage of a rose in my front garden.

After last month's newish immigrant Metalampra italic, another recent arrival (first found in Hampshire under 20 years ago) sitting on an oak tree in my housing estate!

Blastobasis rebeli

robhope

UK Leps 466

Attachments

• Blastobasis rebeli.JPG
    Blastobasis rebeli.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 111
  • Blastobasis rebeli 2.JPG
    Blastobasis rebeli 2.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 125
When I first trapped blastobasis rebeli in my Titchfield Common garden some years ago I was asked for a photo, but they're regular here now. Still waiting for Gypsy Moth and Box Tree Moth, however.

Dave W

I had a Gypsy Moth last night only my 3rd ever, as welcome as this was, I still haven't had a Hawkmoth this year. I'd normally have had a couple of Elephants by now....anybody else "short" on Hawkmoths (NE.London).

Cheers

I had a Gypsy Moth last night only my 3rd ever, as welcome as this was, I still haven't had a Hawkmoth this year. I'd normally have had a couple of Elephants by now....anybody else "short" on Hawkmoths (NE.London).

Cheers

No elephants in the NE of England either (I trap in Newcastle upon Tyne) which is really strange as I would have had several by now in previous years. Just had 2 Poplars. A week of trapping in the South Lakes and I had 2 Elephants and 1 Small Elephant which saved the season.

Andy

No elephants in the NE of England either (I trap in Newcastle upon Tyne) which is really strange as I would have had several by now in previous years. Just had 2 Poplars. A week of trapping in the South Lakes and I had 2 Elephants and 1 Small Elephant which saved the season.

Andy

Cheers Andy!....am now wondering if we are just two "anomalous blips" at both ends of the country or.....has there been a general decline this year overall?

:t:

Had my first UK Hummingbird Hawkmoth this morning on my local patch in Northolt. Though I've had several in my garden over the years it was a new "patch" tick.

Also signs of migrants with 2 fresh Painted Lady + perhaps migrant of homegrown- a minimum of 4 Red Admirals.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back