• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (38 Viewers)

Hi Penny,

I noticed that it was getting quieter as the week went on, i managed to increase the year list to 156 whilst i was in your wonderful county (now 159 after a brief trip to Langstone Harbour this morning).

I am trying to not by Richard Brookes' book at the moment (a group of 6 birders plus spouses going there in May 2009). I hope you have a fantastic time over there.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I am very excited about going to Lesbos, as I have always wanted to go, also I have not flown since 1998!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

This weekend, spent a bit of time birding locally. Firstly trying the graveyard off Dereham road. A few finches, including brambling and tits, and good but fleeting views of a sparrowhawk flying low to the ground were about all I could find, but the light wasn't great and it was rather overcast. Then on to check out Sycamore Wood and Mile Cross/ Sweet Briar Marsh. Found a large flock of goldfinches with a single lesser redpoll amongst them. Again not much else, great spotted woodpecker but no lessers.

Thought I'd try the site again yesterday, pretty similar stuff, couple of nice nuthatches, green and Gt spotted woodpeckers, sparrowhawk, Treecreeper heard but again no lesser peckers. Still, this and the woods off Larkman lane do seem to have plenty of commoner woodpeckers so I wonder if they would also be good habitat for lessers? Worth keeping an eye on I'd say.

Bumped into a photographer who I'd met previously at UEA, he mentioned that some people had been seeing otters along that stretch of the wensum- he himself had seen something that could have been otter or mink at one point. I had also spoken to some dogwalkers previously who said they had seen three otters on two separate occasions. However, more worringly, this guy said he'd spoken to another guy who was a regular drinker on the allotments who had bragged about shooting the otters with an air rifle. :-C

Forgot to add that last weekend went on the guided walk at Berney Marshes. On the train on the way we saw roe deer, red fox and a pair of red legged partidge. Lots of lapwing, golden plover and snipe along with a couple of little egrets and a marsh harrier at the site. Also several pairs of hare and a chinese water deer. No geese during the walk but as we were waiting for the train back we finally saw a small skein of pink feet fly over. :t:

Anyone fancy a meet up weekend after next for some birding?

Jo

Hi
popped out to try and see tree sparrows today, directions spot on, many thanks to Mark and Jason. Unfortunately no luck but quite a nice day all the same. Lovely views of a barn owl hunting beside the car, stoats and hares a yellowhammer, common buzzard and a very obliging skylark. worth going out just for all that.
Will keep trying for the sparrows though

Charlie

Thanks Ian, I am very excited about going to Lesbos, as I have always wanted to go, also I have not flown since 1998!!!

Hi Penny,

Same here it has been an ambition to go for many years, but i must admit i have flown since 1998. I am taking my parents to Mallorca this Whitsun (not been there since 2002) and S'Albuefera marsh is always superb. However, Lesvos will be much better, i shall keep my fingers crossed for a good year for you.

great weekend in north northfolk

many thanks to all the people on here and who i met who made this trip brilliant ..first off.
too much to write about really so will keep it shortish..
highlights included..(from our northern eyes)
friday...snettisham.. unreal views of r.t.diver on a small pond, huge flocks of waders on the mud flats along with shellduck,goldeneye displaying and the pinkies crossingthe sky to roost.
(odd type rosses goose here with the greylags?)
sat....
the little star sparrow showed after about 20 mins. at cley village.
mass amounts of brents on the blakeney flashes(some passing within 30 feet of our heads).2 marsh harriers...
holkham..lady annes
1000+ pinkies here and a few brents,another 2 m.harrier, nothing in the wooded area except goldcrest and treecreeper..
7 little egrets at roadside pool east of stiffkey..also 10 black t. godwit.
burnham overy staithe
2nd barn owl of the trip here, a egyptian goose with greylags briefly before flying off, a buzzard over the hill top to the south and great view of female m. harrier (5th of the trip) flying accross the main road..
sunday..
titchwell..
3 brambling and 4 siskin around the feeders..
2 m.harriers(7th)..6 pintail..20+ avocets..1 spotted redshank..1 jack snipe with 3 other common ones..10 black t. gods..40+ linnet..
sea watch..from here.-2 g.c.grebes,1 red necked grebe, 14+r.b.mergansers,9 female eiders,40+ goldeneye.
salthouse...
around 30 snow bunting and also 2 lapland bunting with them..(3rd pic shows one)and another barn owl here(3rd)
drive around inland produced another barn owl(4th) and loads of partridge mainly red legged.
today
quick couple of hours at welney
3 tundra bean geese, 4 corn bunting on the approach along with hundreds of fieldfare.. not seen so many pintails in one spot as here today.
great holiday..loved the geese especially
have kept the account as short as i can. some of the pics are record shots.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_2622.JPG
    tn_IMG_2622.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 97
  • tn_IMG_2771.JPG
    tn_IMG_2771.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 102
  • tn_IMG_2924.JPG
    tn_IMG_2924.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 103
  • tn_IMG_2521.JPG
    tn_IMG_2521.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Blinding afternoon on Wacton Common watching the Dark Breasted Barn Owl, the Short Eared Owl has now been joined by a second bird!!

By the end of the evening we racked up the two Shorties, DB Barn Owl, resident Albe male Barn Owl, Merlin and a very trim looking Stonechat displaying in the rough scrub behind us!!

Nice to see folks on the site enjoying the Owls without causing disturbance so hope it continues while the bird is still present.

I don't have a posh SLR and lense but you get the idea...

Matt

Attachments

• owlsville 013 (Custom).jpg
    owlsville 013 (Custom).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 112
  • owlsville 030 (Custom).jpg
    owlsville 030 (Custom).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 102
  • owlsville 031 (Custom).jpg
    owlsville 031 (Custom).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 116
  • owlsville 076 (Custom).jpg
    owlsville 076 (Custom).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 88
  • owlsville 004 (Custom).jpg
    owlsville 004 (Custom).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 85
Hi Matt,
Glad to see your Owls are still giving everyone so much pleasure and that behaviour has continued to be good!
I was a bit worried when its roost site came out on the pager, but it seems to be enjoying its extended stay!

David

Hi Matt,
Glad to see your Owls are still giving everyone so much pleasure and that behaviour has continued to be good!
I was a bit worried when its roost site came out on the pager, but it seems to be enjoying its extended stay!

David

Yep, there seems to have been a steady stream of happy watchers at the site in the last three weeks or so, most people have been content to watch from the pond area but innevitably those wishing to get pictures have ventured out into the middle of the common...nothing wrong with that as most photographers I've seen have been making good use of the bails and hunkered against the hedgerow.

It's been amazing observing just how tolerant the Short Eareds and Barn Owl species are to human presence ..provided of course it's passive and non invasive!

Matt

Great stuff Matt. Might have to make a return visit. Incidentally if anyone has been trying to PM me pllease try again, my inbox was full!

Does anyone know if the Great northern diver is still at Blickling?

At Mintlyn Crematorium, King's Lynn - lunchtime today

8 Siskens, 4 treecreepers, 1 nuthatch, 4 goldcrests, 1 coal tit, 5 long tailed tits, blue tits, 1 great tit, 1 robin, 2 blackbirds, 2 chaffinches and 6 linnets. AND a red admiral and 2 bees!!!!!

I have just noticed on Birdguides that a Great White Egret was seen at Titchwell today!!!!!! did it stay, does anyone know or has it moved on?

I have just noticed on Birdguides that a Great White Egret was seen at Titchwell today!!!!!! did it stay, does anyone know or has it moved on?

One week too late Penny, i shall have to find the one at Blashford Lakes in Hants. Anyway off on Saturday to try to see my bogey bird - A Pallas Warbler - that has overwintered in Dorset in a small wood.

I saw 3 red admirals last week, it is amazing how many butterflies are about already.

Will be going to Snettisham on Sunday, whats the the best time and place to go please.
Don't often get up to Norfolk, really looking forward to Sunday so I would like to see as much as poss.

Re Snettisham RSPB

If you have not been to Snettisham before the 2 things to bear in mind are that what you are likely to see are dictated by the tide and the season. Ideally you need a high tide, at the right time of day, and with bright sunny weather to see it at its best. A high tide will drive all the birds into bigger and nearer flocks as it comes in and covers the mud.If it is high enough it will cover all available mud and the birds are forced into the air in massive swirling flocks that will then bring large numbers in to roost on the RSPB Reserve and pits. If this is the case the hides at the further end of the reserve arer best as they will bring you closest to the waders - and also mitigate the problems of looking into the morning sun.It is about 35 minutesd walk froim the RSPB Car Park to the first hide, from where a circular route is possible to view the pits. I have heard people talking/complaining of the length of this walk but personally I am glad of it as it does something to keep away the hordes of Dog walkers who blight the rest of the coast. You also have the opportunity to scan the mud and shorline for waders , wildfowl etc as you walk and before you reach the first hide. The high tides this week-end are not ideal 12.14 and 4.3 metres on Saturday and 13.55 and 4.2 metres on Sunday. You really need a tide of 7 metres or close to cover all the mud so this means much of the mud will remain uncovered reducing the the closeeness and density of the birds.The water is likely to stop some way short of the hides and reserve and not likely to bring large numbers onto the pits - though there will always be something to see.The only saving grace is the time as you really want to be ahead of the tide in terms of time - and the higher the tide the earlier you need to be as it is only the last bits of mud that are covered in the last hour or more . There were stilll Pink Footed Geese present last week-end, sitting out on the mud until well into the morning and the usual mix of waders. There was a feral Ross's Gooose with the Greylags and Barn Owl and Marsh Harrier are likely and any of the other Raptors are possible.Snmow Buntings are around but likrely to be quite mobile. Hope this helps. Ray Roche

Re snettisham. I fergot to make the suggestion in the post above that if you are likely to visit the coast -a very token investment of approx 50 pence will get you a copy of the current tide tables. These are cvertainly sold at Titchwell, and well worth picking up if it helps avooid the scenario of wrong time/wrong place. This is particularly true at Snettisham but also helpds anywhere along the coast in terms ofboth seawatching and wader activity along the shoreline Ray Roche

Feeling a bit depressed about the weather. We are coming to Wells-next-the-Sea on Sunday until next Thursday and the forecast certainly up to Tuesday looks a bit wet! Had hoped for a bit of dry weather for a day or two. Will visit the sparra on Sunday when we arrive so that if it's hiding from the rain we have some more chances. The other birds we'd like to tick are brambling & snow bunting so I've taken note of where they are at the moment. Hoping we're not too late for the geese. If anyone sees this person with purple hair (if it's dry) or purple face (if it's wet!) please do say hello - there's an awful lot of you out there to be ticked!

We shall be at Titchwell one day - Holme one day - Cley one day etc. etc......

Sandra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back