• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Genting Highlands, Peninsula Malaysia - 5-7 July 2014 (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
Spent the July 4th weekend over at Genting Highlands to do some birding with my target being the 4 species of montane birds that can be easily found there.

Saturday, July 5

After checking into the First World Hotel at 2 pm, I took a stroll from the lobby of Genting Grand Hotel towards the direction of the telecom towers at Ulu Kali all the way to the end of the road. I managed to get 3 of the 4 species I targeted (Rufous-winged Fulvetta, Black-browed Shrike-babbler & Bar-throated Minla) and was suprised to find an Olive-backed Pipit spending its summer on the highlands. The species sighted during my afternoon stroll along Ulu Kali includes:

1. Oriental Magpie Robin
2. Glossy Swiftlet
3. Malayan Laughingthrush
4. Rufous-winged Fulvetta
5. Yellow-vented Bulbul
6. Mountain Bulbul
7. Pacific Swallow
8. Olive-backed Pipit
9. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
10. Silver-eared Mesia
11. Spectacled Laughingthrush
12. White-browed Shrike-babbler
13. Bar-throated Minla
14. Snowy-browed Flycatcher
15. Streaked Wren Babbler
16. White-throated Fantail
17. Black-eared Shrike-babbler
18. Mountain Leaf Warbler
19. Black-throated Sunbird
20. Long-tailed Sibia
21. Little Cuckoo Dove
22. Rufous-crowned Warbler

Sunday, July 6

Gone down to Awana Genting Resort in early moring to bird at the short stretch of road from the Longhouse Gate to the Pumphouse Gate. Number of species sighted were much lower than the last time I was there which was 2 years ago. But I managed to sight my last target - a juvenile Golden-throated Barbet which wandered down the slope to feed. Also heard and got a couple of lousy look of a probable Malayan Whistling Thrush. The species sighted at Awana are:

1. Pin-striped Tit Babbler
2. Oriental Magpie Robin
3. Little Cuckoo Dove
4. Orange-bellied Leafbird
5. Black-browed Barbet
6. Mountain Fulvetta
7. Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike
8. Hill Blue Flycatcher
9. Blyth's Hawk Eagle
10. Rhinoceros Hornbill
11. Little Pied Flycatcher
12. White-throated Fantail
13. White-browed Shrike-babbler
14. Yellow-bellied Warbler
14. Streaked Spiderhunter
15. Everitt's White-eye
16. Oracheous Bulbul
17. Golden-throated Barbet
18. Fire-tufted Barbet
19. Malayan Whistling Thrush
20. White-rumped Munia
21. Stripe-throated Bulbul
22. Long-tailed Sibia
23. Spectacled Laughingthrush
24. Grey-chinned Minivet
25. Grey-throated Babbler

Monday, July 7

Spent the morning at Ulu Kali with Hor Kee. Did not get any lifer but managed some nice shots of the birds there. Birds sighted on the last day are:

1. Large Niltava
2. Mountain Bulbul
3. Malayan Laughingthrush
4. Long-tailed Sibia
5. Spectacled Laughingthrush
6. Mountain Leaf Warbler
7. Streaked Wren Babbler
8. Streaked Spiderhunter
9. Bar-throated Minla
10. Snowy-browed Flycatcher
11. Golden Babbler
12. Mountain Tailorbird
13. Golden-throated Barbet
14. Common Green Magpie
15. Little Cuckoo Dove
16. Black Eagle
17. Pacific Swallow
18. Grey-throated Babbler
19. Malaysian Cuckooshrike
20. White-throated Fantail
21. Silver-eared Mesia

Overall, I got 5 lifers from this trip. A total of 31 species were recorded at Ulu Kali and another 25 species at Awana. Total number of species sighted for this Genting trip is 48 which is pretty low.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back