• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 11/07/2014 - 25/07/2014 (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
I have just recently returned from the wonderful Island of Mallorca.Rather than write a blow by blow account,I shall start by bringing two things to anyone reading's attention.

Firstly; It was a family holiday,with a bit of birding thrown In.
Secondly; July Is far from being one of the best months to go birding on the Island.

I spent a (very hot) morning In S'Albufera,a half day with Balears Wildlife and half day with Birdforum Member,Mike Montier,who lives on the Island.Mike's knowledge was of great value and his sense of humour,added greatly to a fantastic day out.

I may have forgotten a few birds that I seen but here Is my list,with the places I seen them.

Formentor; Sardinian Warbler,Pallid and Common Swift,Eleonoras Falcon,Blue Rock Thrush,Crag Martin,Crossbills and Siskin.Balearic Warber (heard only)2 Dolphins were also seen on the water.

Cuber and Tramuntana; 7x Black Vulture,4x Griffon Vulture,Booted Eagle,Kestrel,Little Ringed Plover,Stonechat,Raven,Red Kite,Greenfinch,Goldfinch and Chaffinch.

Mortix; Firecrest (family parties) Hoopoe,Cirl Bunting and Red legged Partridge.

S'Albufera and surrounding area; Black winged Stilt,Kentish Plover,Little ringed Plover,Little Egret,Cattle Egret,Great Egret,Purple Heron,Red knobbed Coot,Eurasian Coot,Purple Gallinule,Mallard,Shelduck,Marbled Teal,Little Grebe,Great crested Grebe,Common Tern,Stone Curlew,Green Sandpiper,Wood Sandpier,Woodchat Shrike,Goldfinch,Greenfinch,Peregrine Falcon,Marsh Harrier,Osprey,Kestrel,Hoopoe,Bee Eater,Turtle Dove,Tawny Pipit,Zitting Cisticola,Starling,Stone Curlew and Eurasian Curlew.

Hotel and Beach area (Puerto Pollenca); Serin,Goldfinch,Greenfinch,Blackbird,House Sparrow,Spotted Flycatcher,Wood Pigeon,Collared Dove,Elonearas Falcon (fly past) Booted Eagle (hills at the back of Hotel),Audoins Gull and Shag.

Only a very small part of my time on my holiday was dedicated to birding but I was very happy,with what I seen.A fantastic holiday and the birds were the Icing on the cake.Should Mr Montier read this,thanks again Mike,your time,knowledge and humour were greatly appreciated.Hopefully we shall meet up again soon and It was also nice to meet Mallorca/Bolton birder Philip (with one L) I also enjoyed being In his company also.In fact,both Mike and Philip were the best comedy act on the Island..! :-O

Last edited:
Forgot to add,I took a boat trip from Puerto Pollenca to Cala Sant Vincenc on Thursday (24th) and watched at least 6 Eleonoras Falcons from the boat,flying off the cliff faces,out to sea and then back again.Fantastic viewing from very close range.

How do you get to the S'albufera area from Puerto Pollensa without a car?
Which hotel did you stay at.Do you recommend it?
Thanks

There Is a regular bus service from Puerto Pollenca to C'an Picafort,every 20 minutes or so.You get off the bus,just past Alcudia at a place called Playa de Muro.If you ask the driver to let you know when you have reached S'Albufera,he will let you know.

You get off the bus,cross the road and a small bridge (Englishmans Bridge) and the Reserve Is well signposted to your right.It's a fantastic place.

I love that part of Mallorca. There are many hotels within a ten minute walk of the S'Albufera entrance, but tend to be expensive, such as the a couple of Iberostars.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back