• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return to Iran, the Enchantment Continues. (1 Viewer)

15 April. Minab.

Dawn on the road, hitch-hiking to the coast a few kilometres beyond Tiab. A couple of pretty quick lifts and the glistening waters of the Straits of Hormoz were stretching out before me. One small hiccup, the guy who gave me a lift decided to drop me off at the police post adjacent to the fishing camp ...hmm, thought I, remembering back to a detention at this very spot two years earlier! No real issues this time though, a bit of chat and explanation that I just wanted to watch birds and the captain in charge seemed satisfied, I was free to go.

And a glorious morning it was, a rising tide pushing the birds in and a fresh breeze keeping the temperatures at bay. No real surprises amongst the waders, but with Terek Sandpipers and both Greater and Lesser Sand Plovers numerous, plus abundant Oystercatchers, Kentish Plovers, Bar-tailed Godwits and Curlews, it truly was a pleasant morning. Also an assortment of other waders, including several Broad-billed Sandpipers, my only Marsh Sandpiper of the trip and my only Whimbrels. A pretty impressive 125 Greater Flamingos formed a nice backdrop, four Dalmatian Pelicans punctuating the flocks.

Heuglin's Gulls offshore, Gull-billed and Lesser Crested Terns plied the beach, a whole bunch of 'small' terns worked an inner lagoon, about 40 in all. Again, these were a mix of Saunder's and Little Terns, though Little Terns did seem in the minority. Also found a Great Stone Plover near some saltmarsh, had a couple of Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters flying about and, in a tiny clump of young mangrove, found a couple of Syke's Warblers.

Eventually, with the tide now high and most birds departing, I walked and hitched back to Tiab village and thereafter to Minab. Enjoyed another little siesta to avoid the early afternoon sun, then took one more wander through the palm groves - located a Sind Pied Woodpecker about 300 metres from where I'd seen one a couple of days earlier, saw no less than four Spotted Little Owls and had a couple of Little Swifts buzzing around. This was however to be my last visit to the palm groves - with virtually no passerine migration occurring, I decided I would depart next morning.

16 April. Adventures on the Road to Bandar Abbas!

Surreal event of the trip happened this morning ...happily tootling along in a savari from Minab to Bandar Abbas when we happened upon a relatively long road bridge. Armed military guy at one end, unusual, but not totally out of place. Over the bridge we went and then, as we approached the other end of the bridge, a manic moment with a car stretching to a halt and a guy in a smart suit jumping out (smart suit = police guy) waving a sub-machine gun of some sort and gesturing to the car coming both ways to stop, which we naturally immediately complied with. Our car was second in line, a pick-up in front.

I couldn't quite work out what the machine gun man wanted, but nor could our taxi driver. Seeming rather frantic, he was running back and fro and, rather than clearing the road, seemed to be directing cars from both sides to move into the centre. Driver on front was having none of it and actually did the opposite, pulling over to the far right. Before machine gun man had chance to chastise, suddenly he was running and ducking right behind our car. Then 'pop pop pop pop' ... jeepers, he was shooting at something and using our car as cover! Two ticks later, three heavily loaded pick-ups came hurtling through, weaving through the gap left between cars and accelerating off as they cleared the bridge. 'Pop pop pop pop pop' another little round from our friend cowering beside our car, then he ran back out and down to his car. All now became clear, this nice police guy had tried to use our cars to create a road block, thoughtfully leaving his car safely down the embankment!

As the smugglers vanished in their pick-ups, so too did the driver in front of us accelerate off, a move that seemed a good idea to our driver as we then lurched off too. A big 4x4 came storming up behind us, then as I seriously began to wonder what was going to happen next, the pick-up which had been in front of us started weaving all over the road blocking any overtaking attempts. He was part of the smuggling gang it seemed, no wonder he had moved right when the police said left! For some crazy moments, all looked like a good day at a F1 race!

With the original three pick-ups now long gone, the pick-up in front pulled over, waved a friendly arm out of the window, the 4x4 whistled by and calm returned to the road. Well, that was an interesting way to enliven a drive!

Last edited:
An unsettling experience.
Clearly the various miscreants have learned that their best approach is to dress and act just like the police. Might be an increasing hazard for birders in more remote places.

I still get the impression the cops don't put themselves out hugely, so I suspect they will only bully up to the point where clearly they have a chance of getting properly plugged in.

Just to clarify, other than this rather enthusiastic attempt to use our car as a road block, the police and army guys I have encountered in Iran have been overwhelmingly friendly and full of smiles when encountered.

And back to the 16th...

After my early morning fun, the entire day turned out to be very much a travel day, even though I had not intended it to be! After catching the early morning savari to Bandar Abbas, my idea was to check into a hotel, then spend the morning along the seafront and afternoon at Bandar Khamir, an area of mangrove and mudflats an hour or so east (and excellent site for Striated Heron and Indian Pond Heron, etc).

As so often seems to be the case however, the first three budget hotels that I tried in Bandar Abbas were all full. Though the city was considerably enhanced by screaming flocks of Pallid Swifts, plus a few Little Swifts, I really didn't fancy plodding the already-sweltering streets trying to find somewhere to stay, so made an impromptu decision to simply walk the seafront west of the centre, then catch a taxi to the bus station and push further west.

Bandar Abbas seafront, all nicely renovated since my last visit, is very pleasant. Seawatching from one of the many benches soon notched up an assortment of gulls and terns - Slender-billed Gulls fairly commonplace, two Swift Terns hugging the coastline, one Caspian Tern too, plus Sandwich Tern and singles of both Saunder's and Little Tern. The best birding however was at a small creek that empties into the sea just east of the city centre - a bunch of Whiskered Terns did not surprise me, nor the assorted Little Stints, Sanderlings and Turnstones, but I certainly had not been expected a flock of 175 Red-necked Phalaropes! These were a real treat, a tight flock feeding just off the beach and rising to swirl around every now and then, sometimes spooked by a Gull-billed Tern swooping in to grab morsels in their midst.

Also added a House Crow to the list while in Bandar Abbas, as well as 12 Common Mynas, but by mid-morning I was aboard a bus heading towards Shiraz, one Black Kite seen just west of the city, one Short-toed Eagle some 100 km or so later. Arrived in Shiraz about eight hours later to a pleasant cool evening, the altitude killing off the heat.

I don't believe the scrapes you get yourself into Jos!

Quite incredible.

I thought I was brave having just yesterday returned form my long-planned Eastern Turkey trip.

Three weeks, 14 Euros on food. 14 whole Euros! - luxury!

Add in the aircon hotel room and its hard to argue he's not going soft on us . . . although much can be forgiven for those in pursuit of deep desert ground jays

Cheers
Mike

17 April. Dasht Arzhan

An hour or so west of Shiraz on the main road to Bushehr and Ahvaz, Dasht Arzhan is a convenient stop-over on route to the humid Khuzestan and the Iraqi borderzone. Situated in an upland bowl, this small wetland proved pretty productive on both my summer and winter trips, so I was keen to sample the spring glories, guessing it might well hold quite a good range of breeding and migrant species.

So it was, at about 8 a.m. I hopped off a westbound bus and wandered down through the tea stalls to the open grass meadows that surround the central marsh. Immediately impressed with the appearance of a flock of Lesser Kestrels, the eight birds hunting across the grasslands all day, joined on occasion by wandering Marsh Harriers and a single Montagu's Harrier. After dumping my bag in the depths of grassy tussocks, and waving to a shepherd tending goat herds, I set off to explore. With Red-billed Choughs tumbling in the skies above, a multitude of smart Yellow Wagtails squabbling in wetter areas and a splendid male Ferruginous Duck rising from the small stream trickling down through the meadows, I slowly meandered towards the central marsh. Much noise from assorted frogs, plus squeaking Water Rails and chattering Clamorous Reed Warblers, the walk was certainly a pleasant affair, all the more so for the Red-throated Pipits flushing up and for a pair of Ruddy Shelducks. At the last relatively dry patch of grass, with European Bee-eaters drifting over and Lapwings bombarding stray Hooded Crows, I paused to scan the central marsh - shimmering in the midday heat, some rather interesting blobs appeared to gravitating around one particular patch of distant reed. Squinted best I could, and was pretty sure of the some of the identities, but decided a little sloshing was in order, paddling through a few hundred metres of wet meadow to get a little closer. Lost my shoes more than once, and added European Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler to the trip list, and then eventually got to a point where the blobs materialised into actual birds ...and nice they were, a small colony of breeding Spoonbills, one Great White Egret standing just in front and two Dalmatian Pelicans alongside. Just for good measure, Squacco, Grey and Purple Herons flew over and a Black Kite appeared over the marsh behind.

By late afternoon, I'd explored a good chunk of the site, so ambled back towards the road. Lesser Kestrels were still hunting the grasslands, large numbers of Common Swifts now also swooping low. With little desire to move on, I sunbathed a while and waited for dusk, pitching my tent to an almighty din of a million and more frogs competing for choral supremacy!

18 April. Dasht-Arzhan to Shush.

After the shock of waking to an ice-encrusted tent, a light mist from the marsh freezing my flysheet solid, I spent the first hour or so wandering around waiting for my tent to dethaw and then dry! Still, with Purple Herons and Red-rumped Swallows flying over and exploration of a small woodland revealing both Common Nightingales and migrant Marsh Warblers, it was certainly not a hardship.

With tent packed and a coffee downed, the rest of the day was effectively a travel day, the plan being to reach the historic city of Shush in the Dez Valley, a mere 680 km west. Hitched the first half, then got a free lift on bus for the next leg, finally swopping to a scheduled bus for the stretch between Dehdasht and Ahvaz, the latter the gateway to the Dez Valley. A petrochemical world of gas flares and pipelines zigzagging in all directions, bathed in a humid haze and sweltering under one of the hottest suns in all Iran, the industrial city of Ahvaz and its flat grey hinterland are a sight indeed, a pseudo post-apocalyptic vision that actually has some appeal in its total lack of attraction.

Pied Kingfishers on the river, Black-winged Stilts and Red-wattled Plovers on roadside pools, White Storks nesting on pylons quite some distance to the east, all was not devoid of birds, White-winged Black Terns and European Rollers also seen, but regardless I was not going to stay in Ahvaz! I navigated across the city and, to a setting sun, got in a savari for the hour-and-a-half ride to Shush. A pleasant town, fairly quiet with a river meadering through and historic sites rising from the centre, Shush would serve as base for the next couple of days, the Dez River area being one of the birding hotspots in Iran. Checked into a hotel with air-conditioning, a required luxury in this neck of the woods, and reviewed my strategy for the next day, I had high hopes for one very special bird.

17 April. Dasht Arzhan

Hooded Crows,

Jos,

I assume that this is the really black and white form, sometimes called Mesopotamian (or Iraq) Crow? Did it look or behave differently from NW European "Hooded"? I'd like to get out there one day, though the Ground-jay is the greater draw!

cheers, alan

Jos,

I assume that this is the really black and white form, sometimes called Mesopotamian (or Iraq) Crow? Did it look or behave differently from NW European "Hooded"? I'd like to get out there one day, though the Ground-jay is the greater draw!

cheers, alan

No, Dasht Arzhan is on the central plateau and these are the bog standard Hooded Crows - for Mesopotamian Crow (I support the split of this into its own species) you need to go another 600 km west, i.e. to the Khuzestan lowlands, probably the best place is along the Dez River.

Looks, sounds very different to Hooded Crow, both plumage and longer bill, tarsus, etc. In my limited experience in Iran at least, Mesopotamian Crow also seems to be fairly specific in habitat - not very common overall and doesn't seem to occur in urban areas.

Attachments

• Mesopotamian Crow ir 1.jpg
    Mesopotamian Crow ir 1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Mesopotamian Crow ir 2.jpg
    Mesopotamian Crow ir 2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 85
No, Dasht Arzhan is on the central plateau and these are the bog standard Hooded Crows - for Mesopotamian Crow (I support the split of this into its own species) you need to go another 600 km west, i.e. to the Khuzestan lowlands, probably the best place is along the Dez River.

Looks, sounds very different to Hooded Crow, both plumage and longer bill, tarsus, etc. In my limited experience in Iran at least, Mesopotamian Crow also seems to be fairly specific in habitat - not very common overall and doesn't seem to occur in urban areas.

thanks, I didn't realise their ranges came so close I agree it looks distinctive; cheers, alan

meanwhile back to the report..

Indeed...

Though I generally better known for simply not eating anything, half the reason I keep returning to the Middle East is for the regular doses of felafel :)

That is serious fitness birding!
Unless you're carrying a backpack full of canned Riga sardines, your 'Iran on 5 Euros a week' diet has got to be a spectacular weight loss system. Unfortunately, it seems a little radical for ordinary mortals....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back