• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss warranty service - exceptional (1 Viewer)

John Dracon

John Dracon
In 1992 Zeiss changed their 15x60 porro to the B status which gave eyeglass wearers a full view. In 1995, I purchased the new edition, meaning I have been using it for 20 years. The objective lens are covered by a rubber cup, and the connecting parts eventually tore. The cups still worked when pressed on, but were now disconnected in use.

A while back I contacted Zeiss USA about replacements. A few days ago the replacements arrived postage paid which included not only the cups but also the barrel coverings. Total cost to me? Zero dollars. I consider Zeiss's life time warranty to mean something of value.

John

I had a similar experience with my 7x42 BGAT*P a few years ago, using their transferrable warranty. They replaced much of the old rubber armor, repaired a cracked eyepiece, and cleaned it thoroughly, at no cost. But, I did have to pay for replacement eyecups, which was more than fair.

Ed

A "cracked eye piece"? In all my using binoculars over 60 years, I have run across only a couple pairs with a cracked eyepiece. One was the result on an irate wife destroying her husband's toys. The other was a pair of Kern's 8x30 IF which look like it had participated in a demolition derby. Zeiss must have had a few on hand to replace it. Aren't we fortunate?

I'm a bit of a fossil, but I believe that no fault replacement, which has become vogue with some companies today, encourages carelessness. Fine instruments, which most binoculars represent, deserve careful handling. Accidents do happen, but the user should bear some level of responsibility. But perhaps that is what is called an old fashion value system that some of us still possess. I know I do.

Your 7x42 BGAT*P is a real keeper. But you know this already. Take care.

John

A "cracked eye piece"? In all my using binoculars over 60 years, I have run across only a couple pairs with a cracked eyepiece. One was the result on an irate wife destroying her husband's toys. The other was a pair of Kern's 8x30 IF which look like it had participated in a demolition derby. Zeiss must have had a few on hand to replace it. Aren't we fortunate?

I'm a bit of a fossil, but I believe that no fault replacement, which has become vogue with some companies today, encourages carelessness. Fine instruments, which most binoculars represent, deserve careful handling. Accidents do happen, but the user should bear some level of responsibility. But perhaps that is what is called an old fashion value system that some of us still possess. I know I do.

Your 7x42 BGAT*P is a real keeper. But you know this already. Take care.

John

Hi John,

Well, it was actually a split plastic collar where the eyepiece tube inserts into the housing. The rubber armoring was also cracked in several places and replaced by Zeiss. My impression is that the instrument had been stored in a hot location for a long time, so everything dried out.

Maintenance of rubber and plastic is important, so I go over all my gear with armor-all on a routine basis. The fold-over rubber eyecups in this case are particularly important.

Ah, yes, you are so right. The 7x42 BGAT*P is a beauty to use, and I find that it's grown on me over the last eight years or so. Whoever sold (i.e., transferred) it to me really didn't know what he had. But I knew it had a lifetime transferrable warranty. ;)

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back