• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Scaup genes in this Tufted Duck? (1 Viewer)

SiG

Seen (from a very long distance, hence these are tiny crops from digiscoped pics) at Moore NR, nr Warrington today. Such a prominent amount of white around the bill base, and such a tiny tuft that it made me look twice; quite a sizeable black blob at the bill tip too, but back darker than flanks ... any reason to think there may be a bit of Scaup in this one? I'd appreciate anyone talking me through the process of eliminating or confirming.

Attachments

• DSCN1229.jpg
    DSCN1229.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN1231.JPG
    DSCN1231.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN1234.JPG
    DSCN1234.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN1235.JPG
    DSCN1235.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1233.JPG
    DSCN1233.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 57
Not necessarily any scaup in it, female tufties can show a lot of white around the bill. The problem is that there is so much individual variation in female aythya, that some female hybrids could well fall within those boundaries and be impossible to detect.

I like to at least see just the small black nail rather than a band across the end of the bill and no tuft at all and a hint of white cheek patch.

I think this looks Tufted to me with a lot of white.

Thanks. That's how I called it, but my thinking was challenged by others present, all the way home ...!

I like to at least see just the small black nail rather than a band across the end of the bill and no tuft at all and a hint of white cheek patch.

I think this looks Tufted to me with a lot of white.

I thought in the first pic that there was only a small black nail on the bill but it is a trick of the light with the photo as on pics 3 and 4 the black band across the bill is clearly shown and I therefore totally second what Ian has said.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back