• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

QR Tripod/Head for a PF80ED-A? (1 Viewer)

rapinante

Could I hear suggestions on what kind of tripod,head for a Pentax PF 80?

With the eyepiece I think that the scope weights between 2.5-3 kilos.
I´m the average tall (1.80mt.)
I gonna walk with it to the field.
Thanks,

Could I hear suggestions on what kind of tripod,head for a Pentax PF 80?

With the eyepiece I think that the scope weights between 2.5-3 kilos.
I´m the average tall (1.80mt.)
I gonna walk with it to the field.
Thanks,

In an ideal world I would suggest a Gitzo GT2531 or a Gitzo 3530LS simply because they are exceptionally good with spotting scopes (+ long heavy lenses) and I already have them! However they may be brilliant but they cost several arms & legs!
I have recently been researching tripods for a friend and am reading/seeing some VERY serviceable products from Sirui, Feisol, Triopo and Benro.
Personally I have a number of products from both Sirui and Triopo and am very happy with them given their price.
There are a couple of sellers offering the Triopo 1227, on a certain auction site pretty cheap, a friend of mine has one and it's not shabby compared to my Gitzo 2531. It's not quite as rigid and does not damp vibration as well but it is just over 100 pounds rather than 500! Also Feisol have a UK importer and are selling the CT3301 model which looks VERY interesting at under 183 quid!
I haven't tried many heads, I tried the 1 and 2 series Giotzos (I love their tripods but not their heads) - not impressed - tried a few others and ended up with the Manfrotto 701 HDV. A little heavier than I personally wanted, but it does the job well and the QR system allows fore and aft movement so you can balance your scope much better.
For reference my spotting scope is a Kowa TSN4 with an Opticron SDL V2 eyepiece. My primary interest is photography - hence my overkill with tripods!
Hope some of these ramblings help.

Thanks John,

Very efficient post,lots of information and suggestions;

-Second time I read about the 701HDV,need to check it out.
-and about the tripods,i gonna check also Triopo 1227,but first the CT3301.
if you liked them,specially having the TSN4 and optcrn eye,a quite dense equipmnt,so i'm sure i'll be also satisfied.

Thanks again,it did help a lot.

Marcos

Thanks John,

Very efficient post,lots of information and suggestions;

-Second time I read about the 701HDV,need to check it out.
-and about the tripods,i gonna check also Triopo 1227,but first the CT3301.
if you liked them,specially having the TSN4 and optcrn eye,a quite dense equipmnt,so i'm sure i'll be also satisfied.

Thanks again,it did help a lot.

Marcos

Just to clarify - I have not had the opportunity to "play" with the CT3301, but it LOOKS like it should be good. I have used the triopo and whilst it's not the very best it is light and very reasonably priced. It is certainly better than what I see the local birders using, 2500 quid scopes on top of tripods I would use for a point and shoot camera.
I have stripped down a couple of Triopo and Sirui products and, though I cannot be 100% certain, I am pretty sure they came out of the same factory or at least the the one next door. From photographs and specs the Feisol and Benro products appear to have similar tubing etc. This is no bad thing as I rate the Sirui/Triopo tubing and leg locks highly.

I have a PF80ED on a Manfrotto 501 HDV on a feisol 3301 and a Gitzo 5541LS. Excellent with the 5541 with no shake or vibrations even in heavy winds and good with 3301.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back