• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springtime at Tesco's (1 Viewer)

Scott67

Exhausted !
Not really a Birding day thread...but...

On the way to work this morning I decided to call in at the Local Tesco to get milk for the Office.

Opposite said supermarket is a large expanse of wasteland
( Or should that be "Exiting new residential development coming soon"! ),
Just got out of the car and heard the unmistakeable sound of a Skylark.

The sun is shining and for a good five minutes I just stood and listened, sometimes there's beauty in the most unexpected of places.

any way got the milk and returned to my rather cranky colleagues awaiting they're early morning caffeine rush.

Scott67 said:
Not really a Birding day thread...but...

On the way to work this morning I decided to call in at the Local Tesco to get milk for the Office.

Opposite said supermarket is a large expanse of wasteland
( Or should that be "Exiting new residential development coming soon"! ),
Just got out of the car and heard the unmistakeable sound of a Skylark.

The sun is shining and for a good five minutes I just stood and listened, sometimes there's beauty in the most unexpected of places.

any way got the milk and returned to my rather cranky colleagues awaiting they're early morning caffeine rush.
YAWN
Your thread was so exciting, I must get back to the ironing (or should that be irony)

angigator said:
YAWN
Your thread was so exciting, I must get back to the ironing (or should that be irony)

Wow!

Ironing and Typing..at the same time !

If you dont like my posts then fine, JUST IGNORE THEM.

cant see anything constructive in your reply whatsoever.

Still hope you have a really nice day..

Scott67 said:
Wow!

Ironing and Typing..at the same time !

If you dont like my posts then fine, JUST IGNORE THEM.

cant see anything constructive in your reply whatsoever.

Still hope you have a really nice day..
Irony (or should that be ironing) obviously goes over your head, or is it that you don't like females. For us, multi-tasking is easy, so I can iron, type and be bored with threads all at the same time!

Afternoon Scott.

I know what you mean about the beauty in unexpected places, I've just come back from an old landfill site by the side of a busy motorway, where I've spent my lunchbreak watching Northern Wheatears & Yellow Wagtails (and listening to Skylarks singing over the traffic noise! ;))
I saw my first Whinchat there yesterday too............PUKKA!

You know you can add people to an "ignore" list don't you?

Last edited:
angigator said:
Irony (or should that be ironing) obviously goes over your head, or is it that you don't like females. For us, multi-tasking is easy, so I can iron, type and be bored with threads all at the same time!
Mmmmm........ so why does it say "m" under gender on your profile then?

This is an interesting thread. The best wildlife areas are often near these out of town developments, its just a shame the value of the land they replace isn't appreciated more.

The Tesco retail development near Peterborough and the adjacent massive housing estate has wrecked the finest bit of wildlife habitat around here. The former brickworks left acres of deep, undulating, ridge and furrow rough ground which supported a hugely diverse ecology. As a brownfield site it is gradually disappearing under concrete and lawn with the wildlife marginalised at best. Any wild bits are being tidied up as things progress.

Yes Skylarks, but also Great Crested Newts, dragonflies, Hares and others are all going. The few remaining areas still attract the birds - there were 5 Wheatears there last week and a few Reed Bunting, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover and Redshank remain but they will soon be gone too. And there will soon be nowhere for the 1000 or so Golden Plover that regularly winter here either.

Still at least there is the winter Pied Wagtail roost on the supermarket roof to look forward to.

"You know you can add people to an "ignore" list don't you?"

aggravator now added !!
shame really,

Last edited:
brianhstone said:
This is an interesting thread. The best wildlife areas are often near these out of town developments, its just a shame the value of the land they replace isn't appreciated more.

The Tesco retail development near Peterborough and the adjacent massive housing estate has wrecked the finest bit of wildlife habitat around here. The former brickworks left acres of deep, undulating, ridge and furrow rough ground which supported a hugely diverse ecology. As a brownfield site it is gradually disappearing under concrete and lawn with the wildlife marginalised at best. Any wild bits are being tidied up as things progress.

Yes Skylarks, but also Great Crested Newts, dragonflies, Hares and others are all going. The few remaining areas still attract the birds - there were 5 Wheatears there last week and a few Reed Bunting, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover and Redshank remain but they will soon be gone too. And there will soon be nowhere for the 1000 or so Golden Plover that regularly winter here either.

Still at least there is the winter Pied Wagtail roost on the supermarket roof to look forward to.

I actually live in St. Helens (Merseyside) as i believe do a few other fourm members, and we do have our fair share of brownfield sites, which seem to be full of wildlife.

Infact a recently (sadly) closed glass factory harbours an increasing population of Lapwings.

unfortunately as previously stated all brownfield sites are under so much pressure to be re-developed I fear for these wonderful plovers

Scott - Sad muppet that I am I have a walk to the local Tesco's list. The only time I've seen Goldfinch was atop Tesco. The car park is a favoured haunt of Pied wagtail BUT the surprise was to see 4 Linnets!! It used to be farmland but the shop has been there 10 years to my knowledge

My local Tescos is bang next door to South Norwood Country Park.
I can(now and again) hear and see some brilliant birds when I step out of tescos door.
Best one was a couple of years back though.I literally stepped out from the store in the early hours of the morning and witnessed a cuckoo perched a couple of metres away on the top of one of the carpark lights.
At that point I would have killed for a camera!!!!!!!!! :C

LOL!!
Could have,should have,would have!
Wonderful thing Hindsight.LOL

I don't think it would have been possible though with those useless disposables ..Lens is so tiny!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back