• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss 3x extender (1 Viewer)

John Dracon

John Dracon
The Zeiss 3x extender is now selling NIB for $255 at some dealers. I recently bought one, and agree with Henry Link's earlier assessment that it is indeed a very useful and versatile instrument.

This is what I am satisfied to relate:
1. The optics are superb.
2. The sheer compactness makes it handy to have around one's neck. The few ounces are not a hinderance at all, and the nicely finished leather case adds a touch of class.
3. For a quick look which brings one three times closer to anything, it does serve a very useful purpose, looking at birds or anything. Sitting in a football stadium in the nose bleed section brings one three times closer to the action.
4. Full FOV for eye glass users.
5. The images are very bright, the field very wide, and the resolution very, very sharp. Really an optical tour de force.
6. Probably as versatile an optical instrument as ever made. Magnifier, etc., etc.
7. Is useful with certain Zeiss binoculars as an extender. Also, with some improvisation, it can be used effectively with other makes of binoculars in that capacity.

The street price has been very spendy, but after using it now, it is IMO worth the money. When I recently spent over $300 for tri-focal eye glasses, which don't even begin to compare with the precision of the Zeiss tripler, I believe my $255 was well spent. This is no toy.

John

A very nice summary of the capabilities of the 3x12.

I really, really like the 3x12 and use it quite a lot. It can also serve to push a scope's magnfication. I use it sometimes with fixed focal length wideangle eyepieces if I want to have a closer look at a bird. Works really well, even with the 24x wideangle on the Nikon EDIII.

Hermann

I can't find anywhere that's selling these for $255 - about $450 seems the norm. When I had my Swarovski bins, I had their doubler and I thought it was fantastic. I'm not sure I could hold my 8x Victory steady with a tripler - that's 24x!

TP - I'm sorry if the well has gone dry. Evidently, deals like this appear from time to time. Purchased off Ebay. I thought it was too good to pass up at the time. It was a "buy it now" not bid on item. Came with all the papers and nicely finished black leather case. Must have been a motivated seller. Guess I shouldn't have mentioned the price at all.

A year ago I walked by a table at a gun show and saw a Bushnell Custom 7x35 binocular and original case sitting there. It was dust covered and some of the covering was flaking off.

Asked what the price was, and the dealer said "$10 bucks." Asked if I could inspect it. "Sure" he said. So I noticed it was in collimation and no chips or fungus and focused smoothly. I didn't agrue with him and paid him the $10 dollars. Took it home and cleaned it up. Optically perfect. What we call good deals do happen. Most of us have experienced those on occasion. Sorry if I created false expectations for you and others to find one at the price. John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back