• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD 8x32 owners - a question (1 Viewer)

CSG

United States
Have you had a chance to compare them with the HD 8x42's? Particularly with eye placement and whether or not you get similar blackouts from too short an eye cup? I had to exchange my 8x42 HD's as they were so fussy for me ergonomically. I've read a few comments that indicate the 8x32's are easier in that regard.

I just received an open box MiG Minox HG 8x32 from CLNY and as decent as the optics are, I'm finding eye placement difficult and the cups too short unless I rest them on my eyebrow ridge. I was going to order some HD 8x32's but Neil suggested these. I'm not so sure it was a good call.

Have you had a chance to compare them with the HD 8x42's? Particularly with eye placement and whether or not you get similar blackouts from too short an eye cup? I had to exchange my 8x42 HD's as they were so fussy for me ergonomically. I've read a few comments that indicate the 8x32's are easier in that regard.

I just received an open box MiG Minox HG 8x32 from CLNY and as decent as the optics are, I'm finding eye placement difficult and the cups too short unless I rest them on my eyebrow ridge. I was going to order some HD 8x32's but Neil suggested these. I'm not so sure it was a good call.

That's too bad you are having such a difficult time finding binoculars
that fit.
Those are some solid choices.

Do you have any binoculars that fit you? Maybe someone can help
with a recommendation, if they know what works for you.

Jerry

The eye placement with my HD 8x32 is "ok", but I had to get used to it.
I also tried the HD 8x42s and they were a lot more difficult! (I don´t wear glasses.)

CSG .... We seem to have similar fit requirements. I tried a Zeiss Conquest HD 10X42 yesterday and found the eye cups to be to short for the eye relief (viewing without glasses). I am curious to see what you find out about the 8X 32 HD since I have yet to come across one to try.

Check out the Nikon line. Overall, they have been a better fit for me. I have tried several Monarchs with success and own a EDG(II) 8X32 that fits great. The upcoming Monarch 7 8X32 may work for you. An exception is the Nikon SE. I have to hold my 8X32 SE a little higher than the EDG. How does your SE fit you? Do you have to hold it a little higher toward the eyebrows?

All the Swarovski EL models I've tried were also a good fit, but are expensive and may be out of the price range. Zen-Ray eyecups overall appears to be on the short side. I have several and have to place them higher toward the eyebrows. They are workable, but could be better. I wonder if the new 8X32 ZRS HD is a better fit, but doubt it.

Last edited:
Jerry, my Furys fit pretty well, my HT's fit very well, my Victory Compacts fit well, and my Canon IS fit well.

Bruce, yes, I have to hold the SE's similarly. Swaros are out of the equation as are most of the alpha class bins. I only have the HT's through some special circumstances; I could have never justified their price otherwise.

My concern is that if I send these Minox HG's back in and trade out for the Zeiss HD 8x32 I'll be dealing with the same issue. But at least the Zeiss focuser turns the right way. ;)

Just got a pair delivered from Bob Ward's (a Montana sporting goods chain) that were on an, apparently, one day sale for $720 shipped.

I AM GOBSMACKED just how good these are! I couldn't get along with the 8x42 version due to eye relief issues and faulty eye cups (these have the same eye cups - interchangeable with the 8x42's). I've known for awhile that Zeiss is re-designing the HD eye cups so if I have a problem with these, I can get replacements.

However, what prompted me to try the 8x32's was how incredibly good the 8x42's were otherwise (read: optics). I wanted a more rugged and waterproof bin to take in the field than my Nikon SE's. I tried the original Conquest 8x30, Minox 8x33 HG and Swarovski 8x30 CL. All were returned pretty quickly. Optically and ergonomically, none is on par with the new HD 8x32's. Easy, wide, crystal clear views with a big ol' sweet spot. Great ergos and with the lesser amount of eye relief relative to the eye cup length, they give me almost as easy a view as my HT 8x42's. And the focuser? Fuhgeddiboudit! It's fairly fast, very smooth, no dead spots.

While I haven't had any takers yet on my SE's, I do not think I'll miss them when they sell. The HD's are a worthy replacement IMO.

I *was* going to go for the FL demos that EO is selling but I don't feel like that will be something I need to consider any longer. The color correction of the FL's should be better but I'm not as affected by CA as some and from some quick tests, the HD's handle it pretty well during the day.

All in all, HIGHLY recommended!

Last edited:
Just got a pair delivered from Bob Ward's (a Montana sporting goods chain) that were on an, apparently, one day sale for $720 shipped.

I AM GOBSMACKED just how good these are! I couldn't get along with the 8x42 version due to eye relief issues and faulty eye cups (these have the same eye cups - interchangeable with the 8x42's). I've known for awhile that Zeiss is designing the HD eye cups so if I have a problem with these, I can get replacements.

However, what prompted me to try the 8x32's was how incredibly good the 8x42's were otherwise (read: optics). I wanted a more rugged and waterproof bin to take in the field than my Nikon SE's. I tried the original Conquest 8x30, Minox 8x33 HG and Swarovski 8x30 CL. All were returned pretty quickly. Optically and ergonomically, none is on par with the new HD 8x32's. Easy, wide, crystal clear views with a big ol' sweet spot. Great ergos and with the lesser amount of eye relief relative to the eye cup length, they give me almost as easy a view as my HT 8x42's. And the focuser? Fuhgeddiboudit! It's fairly fast, very smooth, no dead spots.

While I haven't had any takers yet on my SE's, I do not think I'll miss them when they sell. The HD's are a worthy replacement IMO.

I *was* going to go for the FL demos that EO is selling but I don't feel like that will be something I need to consider any longer. The color correction of the FL's should be better but I'm not as affected by CA as some and from some quick tests, the HD's handle it pretty well during the day.

All in all, HIGHLY recommended!

Couldn't agree more CS, they are terrific. And if you are into butterflies and dragonflies etc then check out the 5' close focus. In fact there is loads of great stuff that looks even greater close up through your bins.

Lee

Thanks Lee, most of my bins are close focusing and I do like to use those as field microscopes as well.

Edited to add that I just had a chance to use these on a first quarter moon and if there's any CA, I'm having trouble seeing it along the limb. I suspect Jupiter would be another story though.

I'll tell you what, I couldn't be more pleased with these.

Last edited:
The 8x32 HD's have been around for awhile now, with lots of owner reports, so time to ask if the wandering diopter problem reported by Holger still exists. Anyone experience any problem - was it just an early batch thing or ongoing?

I am thinking about an 8x32, and am torn between a good, used FL or trying the Conquest - but only if the Conquest eye-relief works and the diopter is trouble-free.

I've noticed a little drift but not enough to be too concerned with. I seem to recall reading about the why on the 8x32's but don't remember what the reason was.

If I had the extra scratch I would have gotten the FL's but when the one day sale at Bob Ward's came up for $720 I went with the HD's instead.

The ER is pretty individual as you know. It's a mm less than the 8x42's and is OK for me. The new HD eye cups *should* resolve those issues for those who have them. They're due at the end of the year.

The 8x32 HD's have been around for awhile now, with lots of owner reports, so time to ask if the wandering diopter problem reported by Holger still exists. Anyone experience any problem - was it just an early batch thing or ongoing?

I am thinking about an 8x32, and am torn between a good, used FL or trying the Conquest - but only if the Conquest eye-relief works and the diopter is trouble-free.

James

I have an FL 8x32 as you know but I would still like a ConqHD on the principle first enunciated by Annabeth: Beater Bins.

Not that I could ever bring myself to treat bins with total disregard but there are times when we are clambering about on dangerous rocky shores when I wish there was something a bit less treasurable tucked under my jacket than an FL. And ConqHD focuses a bit closer, so would be even more useful when rock-pooling.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back