• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x50 B (1 Viewer)

mayoayo

I have been offered one of these binoculars,A navy version Carl Zeiss 7x 50 B serial 822825 "Made in Germany"(not West Germany,--any difference?).Condition is fair,..some wear to the rubber armor and rubber eyecups,but glass and coatings are good..IF does not make the glasses suitable for birding,but I do like some casual Astronomy and I would like to buy them
Are these good binoculars?...FOV,coatings etc...How much Is a decent price for this pair?..Would it be possible to replace the rubber parts?
any info would help
Danke

Last edited:
Afaik these are outstanding binoculars, optically as well as mechanically.
Replacement rubber components should be readily available from Zeiss, as the glass is still sold commercially, for about $1750 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-7x50-GA-Classic-Binoculars/dp/B00009XVB2

No clue what a used price should be, particularly outside the US, but here I'd think $500-700 would be a good deal if it was still nicely collimated and ready for service.

I have been offered one of these binoculars,A navy version Carl Zeiss 7x 50 B serial 822825 "Made in Germany"(not West Germany,--any difference?).Condition is fair,..some wear to the rubber armor and rubber eyecups,but glass and coatings are good..IF does not make the glasses suitable for birding,but I do like some casual Astronomy and I would like to buy them

No idea about the serial numbers, but I wouldn't buy one without the T*-coating. It should thus be labeled "BGAT*" or "GAT*". The difference between the older coatings and the T*-coating is pretty obvious in the field, with the T*-coating offering better transmission. Any pair without the T*-coating is likely to be well oder 30 years old ...

Are these good binoculars?...FOV,coatings etc...How much Is a decent price for this pair?..Would it be possible to replace the rubber parts?

Decent price ... Depends on what the bins look like. A new pair is about € 1750 at the moment, I wouldn't pay more than €1000 for a recent pair in very good shape. FOV is 130m/1000m, that's OK. The rubber armouring can be replaced, you'd have to send the bins to Wetzlar though. Replacing the rubber eyecups is no problem.

If you need a pair for astronomy, have a look at the Fujinon 7x50. Cheaper and at least as good as the Zeiss for astronomy.

Hermann

Have had several pairs, both rubber and non rubber covered, with and without T* star coating . Hermann is correct. Pass on one without T* star, unless the price is too good to ignore. $500-$600 is reasonable price with used 7x50 with T* star.

These are built like a tank. Designed for boating primarily or pickup use. They have enough heft to help steady the view.

John

Ok guys Thanks...The price is good,so I will buy them,even without the T* designation.This pair is not labeled BGA T. or show the T* ..Has a bulkier armor,with rounded profile rims,vs the flat rims of the newer versions..I think is a military /navy issued binocular.
..I have seen many samples pictured these days ,looking for info,and most have the "Made in West Germany" label and a seven digit serial..The pair I might buy says "made in Germany" on them and only a six digit serial..
I wrote a note to CZ asking for info...lets see if I get some info regarding origin/year manufacture /coatings.....
Thanks again

Last edited:
Good info normjackson ,in spite of the pictures missing....the one I would buy,..........7x50 B, Carl Zeiss logo, Made in Germany (vs East germany),6 digits serial 8*****,...............1972 early version...bingo!

Pretty good
Thanks

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back