• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20 Questions (2 Viewers)

Yep, but that was earlier (post #867) ;)

To summarise again - a falcon (+ tomial tooth) that doesn't hunt mammals much (not one of the kestrels, nor Saker, Gyr, Prairie Falcons), at least occasionally takes mouse-plus size vertebrates, only rarely soars or stoops (so not a peregrine-type), doesn't store food (so not Eleonora's), migrates, and isn't in fear of Eurasian Sparrowhawks or sea-eagles.

17 Falco jugger, perhaps?

Yep, but that was earlier (post #867) ;)

To summarise again - a falcon (+ tomial tooth) that doesn't hunt mammals much (not one of the kestrels, nor Saker, Gyr, Prairie Falcons), at least occasionally takes mouse-plus size vertebrates, only rarely soars or stoops (so not a peregrine-type), doesn't store food (so not Eleonora's), migrates, and isn't in fear of Eurasian Sparrowhawks or sea-eagles.

17 Falco jugger, perhaps?

not a lagger. think towards its most common prey (which you haven't found out yet).
...and "to be in fear of" acc nisus and haliaaetus species is interpretable...why should a falcon live in fear of a sea eagle or a sparrowhawk?

Most common prey, I'm deducing large insects, followed by birds. Why in fear - a bird the size of a Kestrel or Hobby could be at risk when perched from a surprise attack by a Sparrowhawk; larger falcons would be able to fight them off OK. Agree, no significant risk from a sea-eagle - though I think that even a Gyr Falcon, if it was perched in the open, would fly off rather than stay perched when a sea-eagle approached, or it would be a 'sitting duck' prey. So it has some fear of it.

but it does. true, red-foot overlaps more with the 2 mentioned sp. but it still is amur falcon (which you have mentioned before ;) - so it's your turn now.) :gh::gh::gh:

Last edited:
what would be your take on this juvenile, recently seen in the banat (western plains of romania)? i had it a sure amur on first view but research reveals too much variability in both sp:

http://rombird.ro/ro/obd/13681/index?or=0&ord=desc&sel=&dt=&df=&src=&from=0&fromt=obl&fromid=0

Nee ideea! Never seen Amur, and never really read up on them much either, so I'll pass on that bird :-O

Next quiz bird - I'll hold fire for now as interest in the thread seems to have died off (very few recent contributors!). If anyone else is desperate to add their own new bird, go ahead :t: otherwise I might resurrect it in a week or two (or a month or two).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back