• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flying Insect Id Please (1 Viewer)

mdb2

Hi I noticed several of these on the local church wall whilst doing Lichen, taken about 3 weeks ago sunny day. please help.
kind regards mike

Attachments

• IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Shane, and salticus I believe your very close. Couldn't see the trees for the wood. I have found it in INSECTS ( Michael Chinery) page 195
Chaoborus crystallinus
Many thanks Mike

Thanks Shane, and salticus I believe your very close. Couldn't see the trees for the wood. I have found it in INSECTS ( Michael Chinery) page 195
Chaoborus crystallinus
Many thanks Mike

This is a not Chaoboridae, although little can be seen in your photo enough detail is there to be confident that this is not C. crystallinus or other members of this family. It is one of the Chironomidae but there are hundreds of them, only one of which is included in Chinery, and yours is not that either. Need to slide-mount specimen and examine terminalia under high power to have any probability of accurate identification.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back