• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need a new computer (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
I need a new computer, but I am unsure whether I can get one built here for the purpose or if I need to transport one back from elsewhere. If I need to buy elsewhere, then a laptop would be better.

Demands:
need to work with my current monitor of 2560x1440 pixels
Need to have a fast processor and plenty of RAM (have at least 8 and be upgradable)
If a laptop, connect through a docking station.

To be used for photo and possibly in the future also video editing, and preferably able to play music at the same time.

Is there even a laptop that could do what I want?

Niels

There are plenty of gaming laptops that offer the power and screen resolution to do what you want. The Alienware range from Dell offer one with a 17" 4K screen and an i7 processor.

How about docking station? do these also offer that? I don't feel like using a laptop keyboard on a daily basis.

And I actually did try to search around for one of the gaming laptops that did have a docking station available -- but question: is docking station a US term? If the British English term is different, what is such an item called?

thanks
Niels

Why do you need a docking station just for a keyboard?
Wireless Mouse & keyboard?
You can get some docking station type devices that will plug into a USB port.
When I was contracting at Sony in Basingstoke and Woking, they were using the Kensington ( Within head office ) on a model of laptop that they hadn't manufactured a docking station for. Just looked it up. It looks like its had some advances.
Docking stations were devices that you lplace the device in/on. Port extenders clip on the back ( mostly )

Last edited:
Docking station in used in British English but if you're looking at manufacturers such as Dell they may call it a port extender!

Docking station needed for additional usb ports, hook up of external monitor, keyboard, mouse ...

Niels

Sorry for being short, I am pressed on time. I am thankful for all you have written

Niels

I have posted a similar question today ;)

I would recommend Dell software for all you needs. I used Dell software over the years while working in a IT position i had and it is the best make IMHO!

Docking station needed for additional usb ports, hook up of external monitor, keyboard, mouse.

Take a look at USB docking stations. One brand with which I'm familiar is Pluggable. These use a single USB port (preferably 3.0) to provide the sort of connectivity you describe, and thus should work with any modern laptop.

--dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you both.

One question: Dave, with the Pluggable I looked at, their page mentioned the laptop being equipped with a video monitor above a certain whatever for best performance. But it also says only connecting with a single USB cable. Does that one cable really carry video information from the laptop to the monitor in addition to being high speed USB etc, all at the same time? or is there a second connection from the laptop to the DS?

thanks
Niels

Thank you both.

One question: Dave, with the Pluggable I looked at, their page mentioned the laptop being equipped with a video monitor above a certain whatever for best performance. But it also says only connecting with a single USB cable. Does that one cable really carry video information from the laptop to the monitor in addition to being high speed USB etc, all at the same time? or is there a second connection from the laptop to the DS?

thanks
Niels

Yep, there is a single high speed usb connection for this setup. It wouldn't be good for gaming or other things that need frequent, fast screen updates, but seems to work fine for email/office/web sorts of uses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had several Dell laptops but decided to get a Desktop when the last one started to play up due to the connecting wires to the screen being stressed by opening and closing. There are lots of advantages to having a portable set up but I was persuaded to go with Apple. Expensive but I have never regretted getting an iMac.You don't seem to slow down over time as I did with Windows and the continual updates.
I don't use a laptop anymore which I only rarely wish I had and that is just to download photographs taken when on holiday to check out what they look like on the big screen. Back of the camera can be misleading so its good to have an opportunity to rectify errors and have another go whilst still at the venue.
Other than that an iPad and a Kindle suffices for emails and surfing.
Incidentally my photo editing seems better on a desktop too, maybe it's the Apple screen, maybe it was that with a laptop the angle at which you view throws a different light than the near vertical of a desktop screen.
Good luck with your choice.

Thank you Dave. I have a current desktop. If I get a laptop, the intent is to continue to use my current large screen when at home, and that is why I was wanting a model with a docking station.

Getting another desktop is another option, but I am challenged by a very limited selection where I live. I could get a laptop on a trip to Europe that is upcoming.

Niels

In regards to your monitor, future upgrades and such.......

You have an UHDTV or monitor but does it have the installed HDMI 2.0 hardware to accommodate 4K data/bandwidth transfer?

If you're looking down the road at 4K video editing/viewing, your monitor or TV is going to need HDMI 2.0 ports or DisplayPorts both of which are found on 4K video cards.

Anything less than a HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPorts on the monitor/TV won't give you the data transfer to have the 4K experience even thou you may have a 4K video card in your computer. The HDMI 2.0/DisplayPorts provide the 18Gpbs needed for the deep colors and refresh rate of the video. More color = more bits = higher data rate = required more bandwidth.

If you have the earlier HDMI 1.4 ports on your monitor/TV your transfer rate/bandwidth is 10.2Gpbs.

Without the ability to transfer more data, your on screen visuals will basically be the same as it is now without a 4K video card. Simply put, your applications have to match; monitor/TV to the video card.

As for the refresh rate, your probably experiencing 30fps at 60hz if your method of transfer is HDMI 1.4. I believe this will stay the same if your applications don't match otherwise you can get the 60fps or higher but how much I don't know.

This is my understanding. I may be be thinking wrong at which point I would love to be corrected.

Niels, if you recall from my 4K Video and Computer Requirements thread I tried to sort out my needs for viewing and processing 4K video from my Pani FZ1000.

I left that thread, got quotes on machines and monitors to satisfy that 4k quest; all were around the 3500 dollar range. That's for 4K video/gpu card, SSD and HDD drive, optical drive, OS W10, 750W power supply, 16G RAM, lots of USB ports, and a 4K monitor. An over kill for my limited desire to mess with 4K Pani video.

The take away from that thread, may be better suited to your needs, is what Scotview and etudiant suggested to me. Click on their names it will get you to their post.

I still want all the 4K goodies but I'm going after it in a different way. I'm a desk top guy so I'm scrounging all the For Sales from ebay, graigslist, and local pawnshops for gaming computers. There's lots out there, from kids wanting to upgrade to kids needing money for college and other stuff. I will adventually find one to my needs for a couple hundred bucks; upgrade the GPU, power supply and I should get in under 1000. After that I'll shop for a monitor.

Niels, I wish you luck my friend......just making the choice is work, I know..!!

Last edited:
You're welcome, sir.

Re-reading that post.......I think I should cut-n-paste and add it to the 4K Video thread in the Panasonic sub-forum as an update.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back