• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Mockingbird Behavior (1 Viewer)

Judybird

BIrds, bugs and butterflies
I live in South Florida, near Sarasota and usually LOVE birds. I have had an interest in them since early childhood.

Here's the scenario:

For three nights we have had a Mockingbird start singing his entire catalog of sounds at 1:00 am. It continues alternating sounds through to about 5:00 am. The rest of the Mockingbirds usually start singing about 6:00 am. Is this at all normal? Any ideas how to curb it without disturbing all the other wild things in the dark?

Thankfully, we had a reprieve last night and were able to eliminate some of our sleep deprivation.

Any comments are appreciated.

We don't have mockingbirds up here in the NW, but from what I've read they will and do sing at night.

I don't know of anything that could be done, since nearly all U.S. birds are protected save for House Sparrows and European Starlings(which might still have state protection). Personally, I'd love to hear a bird singing at night, and even when they do on rare occasions, I can't hear it if all the windows are closed.

HouseFinch said:
We don't have mockingbirds up here in the NW, but from what I've read they will and do sing at night.

I don't know of anything that could be done, since nearly all U.S. birds are protected save for House Sparrows and European Starlings(which might still have state protection). Personally, I'd love to hear a bird singing at night, and even when they do on rare occasions, I can't hear it if all the windows are closed.

HouseFinch:
I love to hear birds sing too - but it's amazing how much it interupted our sleep. It was the constant changing of sounds - no nice melody to enjoy. He's been quiet for two nights now, perhaps he found a mate.

I read that some birds mistake bright street lights for dawn and start singing, but we don't have that many lights in our neighborhood.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes singing at night is common. They are teritorial so he'll be back. They like a high perch to sing from like the tree top or top of a chimney. I have one that claims my backyard and one that claims part of my front. They like the cherry tree when the cherries are ripe and always get into a little war over it, then the oriole sneeks in for a bite.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back