• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony Alpha Nex 6 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

We've been backpacking the last 4 days so I'm missed the thread.
Neil, do you think the RX100 Mk II will be better than the A6000 and why?

If you like Auto Focus then the Zeiss designed lens in the RX100 M2 is very fast and sharp.
With the Nex cameras you need a lens like the Sigma 30/2.8 E to get the best out of it with AF (it is a bit slow though). Of course if you're happy with manual focus using the TLS APO adaptor straight to the camera sensor then the A6000 will give better image files.
I like to take several cameras out in the field but I end up using the RX 100 M2 the most.
Neil.

Any hope for the G1X Mk II

Maybe something has changed in the G1X evolution to the Mk II release that will foment digiscoping? My fingers are crossed since the G1X Mk II is already in my future for other reasons.

Digiscoping not forgotten :)

So little time, so many things, but I haven't forgotten the digiscop. This shot with the Sony A6000 and posted here after downsizing/resizing. Posting just to give sone an idea of the A6000 with the Swaro 95mm:

Attachments

• Digiscoped Moon downsized.jpg
    Digiscoped Moon downsized.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 171
Nex 7

Rob
You have lots of choice these days at all price points. The Nex 6 is more functional than the Nex 7 for digiscoping. You also have the Panasonic GX7 plus 20/1.7 lens or one of the Fujis.
The best digicam is the Sony RX100 M2 but the Nikon P330 also does a good job.
Compare features and price and see which suits you.
Neil

Thanks for the advice Neil......I've recently purchased the Nex 7 with E18-55mm lens but vignetting is not eliminated on my Leica Televid 20-60x zoom or 20x eye piece. I've now added the E 55-210mm which eliminates vignetting at about 65mm and is good for subjects over 20m away but not so under this.

For closer birds would it be preferable to use the E18-55mm and crop out the Vignetting or is there another lens (Sony or other ) I could use for closer subjects, which would be free of vignetting when on the scope eye piece?

All the Best

Rob

P.S thanks for all the info on these digiscoping threads that you contribute......fantastic!

Hi Guys,

Here We are with some photos of the Nex 6 and Swaro 80 HD - Eyecup 30X - DCA and Sigma 30mm f2.8

Positive Features (With good light):

Easy and accurate focus (Focus Peaking, Viewfinder amplified)
Good Colors and Raw
Its complicate to overexpose the photos, even with hard light, due to the good dinamic range.
I think, even at long distance, the results are ok.
You can get a good field deep too

When the light decrease its complicate to get good results. (fourth photo)

I have to confess, I'm a bit dissapointed because I thought I could get some action photos with this camera due to its speed (10 fps) but It's complicate to get light enough to do this.

In view of that, I'm wondering If I could get more speed purchasing the TLS APO or The Eyecup that Neil recommends to me (Sony 20mm). Some people speak really well about the benefits of TLS APO but I'm not convinced.

Other posibilities I'm thinking are to get a Panasonic GX7 and sell the Nex 6 or to purchase a RX100 II for low light conditions and Nex 6 for good light conditions.

What would You recommend me?

Paco
I just noticed your question at the end and am sorry there was no answer to you.
Have you solved your problem already?
Neil.
ps loved the photos.

Thanks for the advice Neil......I've recently purchased the Nex 7 with E18-55mm lens but vignetting is not eliminated on my Leica Televid 20-60x zoom or 20x eye piece. I've now added the E 55-210mm which eliminates vignetting at about 65mm and is good for subjects over 20m away but not so under this.

For closer birds would it be preferable to use the E18-55mm and crop out the Vignetting or is there another lens (Sony or other ) I could use for closer subjects, which would be free of vignetting when on the scope eye piece?

All the Best

Rob

P.S thanks for all the info on these digiscoping threads that you contribute......fantastic!

Rob,
Any 30 mm ( or more )fixed lens will eliminate vignetting and it's possible that a 28 mm lens will too. 20/24 mm is usually a bit wide. The 30/2.8 E Sigma is a very good lens with either fixed or zoom eyepiece but the 20/2.8 Sony will do a reasonable job although there may be corner vignetting but that should go in video or 16:9 mode.
Neil.

Some Doubts

Hi Guys,

Here We are with some photos of the Nex 6 and Swaro 80 HD - Eyecup 30X - DCA and Sigma 30mm f2.8

Positive Features (With good light):

Easy and accurate focus (Focus Peaking, Viewfinder amplified)
Good Colors and Raw
Its complicate to overexpose the photos, even with hard light, due to the good dinamic range.
I think, even at long distance, the results are ok.
You can get a good field deep too

When the light decrease its complicate to get good results. (fourth photo)

I have to confess, I'm a bit dissapointed because I thought I could get some action photos with this camera due to its speed (10 fps) but It's complicate to get light enough to do this.

In view of that, I'm wondering If I could get more speed purchasing the TLS APO or The Eyecup that Neil recommends to me (Sony 20mm). Some people speak really well about the benefits of TLS APO but I'm not convinced.

Other posibilities I'm thinking are to get a Panasonic GX7 and sell the Nex 6 or to purchase a RX100 II for low light conditions and Nex 6 for good light conditions.

What would You recommend me?

Paco
I just noticed your question at the end and am sorry there was no answer to you.
Have you solved your problem already?
Neil.
ps loved the photos.

Hi Neil,

Just last week I saw your kindly offer as always. Of course you have answered to my questions in this and other posts.

Finally I purchased the TLS and I think it's better than a normal lens. The sigma 30mm gives me a bit chromatic aberration (at least with the 30X eyecup) and the focus It's not really good most of the times. Surely I'll purchase a Sony RX100 II or the New RX100 III (I dont know What will be the result of the new lens, the problem is a 70mm is a short focus)

I attach this photo to show the good dinamic range of the Nex 6. Using the Canon S95 is much more difficult not to overexpose the white head.

BR

Attachments

• Malvasia 1.jpg
    Malvasia 1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 186
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back