• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Jena DF 7x40; Cloudidnes in the image (1 Viewer)

okcmco

Hi. I just bought a pair of Zeiss Jena DF7x40 millitary binos on ebay. The seller described the optics as "excellent" But when they arrived, I noticed a distinct cloudiness in the right barrel and black spots in the left barrel. These binos have been well reviewed by many (Incl. Holger Merlitz) and I believe the image should be better. As it stands, My tasco world class 10x50 and my old wetzlar imperial 7x50 have a much better view as far as resolution. Would I benifit from having the Zeiss binos cleaned? Would that help the cloudy image? Is it expensive to do this? Should I just start over? Where in the states would you suggest to have them repaired.

okcmco said:
Hi. I just bought a pair of Zeiss Jena DF7x40 millitary binos on ebay. The seller described the optics as "excellent" But when they arrived, I noticed a distinct cloudiness in the right barrel and black spots in the left barrel. These binos have been well reviewed by many (Incl. Holger Merlitz) and I believe the image should be better. As it stands, My tasco world class 10x50 and my old wetzlar imperial 7x50 have a much better view as far as resolution. Would I benifit from having the Zeiss binos cleaned? Would that help the cloudy image? Is it expensive to do this? Should I just start over? Where in the states would you suggest to have them repaired.

When someone sells something on www.ebay.co.uk, the descriptions have a legal signficance: if they misrepresent the item in their favour, then you have a legal case against that person. Of course, taking action against them is another matter entirely, and probably rather hard if not impossible, but they might not know that. I would contact the person, tell them what you have said here, explain that you entered into a legally binding contract based on their published descriptions (which are still on the EBAY database), and that you are considering legal options, and and see what they say. I would ask them to take them back and refund the shipping costs. With luck they might respond favourably.

The cloudiness could be fungus in which case the optics are probably stuffed. Fungus which etch the glass and hence ruin it. Alternatively it could be damaged coatings on the prisms if they are roofs, which is just as bad, as getting them recoated would be tough.

Leif

I would contact the seller and see if you can't get your money back. If not give him a bad rating and contact B.C. Outdoors in NV. B.C. is the U.S. importer for Docter Optics, which is who your Zeiss Jena now is. See if Docter can do anything for you.

ranburr

Deutsche Optik (www.deutscheoptik.com) still sells these binoculars and they have a repair service. There must be a lot of decrepit pairs of these being passed around on eBay. I also got a pair with a clouded barrel from eBay. I decided they were not worth spending the money to repair, based on generally clunky handling, uncomfortable eyecups and mediocre optics, not to mention the smelly rubber armouring.

I humbly suggest that you not spend further money toward refurbishing the DF 7x40. I have 3 of them, buying the 2nd and 3rd units in hopes of better condition and performance. In new or near-new condition, I think that they are good binoculars, for what they are (military binoculars that are usually not personnel-carried). However, all of them had a murkiness in one barrel. Maybe the extra feature's (illuminator) components outgas over time. I've also read in some write-ups that many units have been observed to have this "problem". Optically, they are good, but they are not as great as what sellers claim, as Mr. Link stated. Most, maybe all, units being sold are surplus, and I think that they were not maintained optimally. I keep mine for historical value, rather than as user instruments.

By the way, ... if that was you who picked up that Optolyth 10x50, ... good move! If in good condition, I think it would be excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back