• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using the CP4500 on bulb setting (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
I am considering upgrading my CP880 to the CP4500 for digiscoping of birds etc but also for astronomical use. Has anyone tried using the BULB setting for times greater than 1 minute, e.g. just pointing it at the night sky to see what you get or any other example? I am curious to know how much noise is produced.

A related question, is the 800 asa setting useable or does it produce an unacceptable amount of noise? I would imagine that the 800 asa setting could be useful for bird photos when the light level is low and the bird is moving.

Dave,

The attached photo, taken last year when the Osprey visited a nearby reservoir in Derbyshire, was taken using ISO 400 on the 995 due to very low light levels. This enabled a shutter speed of approx 1/150th.

As you can see, there is quite a bit of noise, but it was the only option in the dull conditions.

I've never actually tried the bulb setting so I can't help you there.

Attachments

• osprey2.jpg
    osprey2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 272
What's your idea of unacceptable, Dave? For web images you can get away with a lot.
iso800 is pretty grim, certainly if you're interested in prints. is0400 can be used but you'll be wise to get a noise-reduction action/filter for Photoshop, personally iso400 is still too noisy for me to use with prints.... but it can be a matter of something sharp but messy rather than nothing, certainly if it's a one-off bird. iso200 is far better than on the older cameras, with a bit of work in Photoshop they can make acceptable prints at a reasonable size.
Nice shot, Diane .... it's always handy to have the higher iso's for situations like that.

Diane
I've used iso 400 on my CP880 with similar results. I guess it is the only choice when the light level is low - either that or miss the shot altogether.

Andy
Mostly I only look at my photos on screen but would still like the option of printing them. I was hoping that the noise would be reduced in the CP4500 as the iso 800 had been introduced, but I guess it is there only for emergencies. It may still be useful for astro photos though - time will tell.

Thankyou for your replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back