• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Behind the mall in Davie (1 Viewer)

bulos

Bulos
I've never seen a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron in countless trips to Wakodahatchee and Green Cay. While taking a walk today and discovered that the drainage strip behind the mall n griffin and 7oth in Dave has developed in an active little marsh. I shot this YCNH there. Any of you others had similar experiences?

Attachments

• ycnh.JPG
    ycnh.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 53
  • ycnh 3.JPG
    ycnh 3.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 49
Actually yes - my best YCNH was "accidental" on a spur of the C10 canal in Miami. I was there for work but came back later to get pics :)

I get my fill on yellow crowneds over at Rutherford park in Boca Raton where there are usually a few hanging around - I've seen them there for at least 8 years now. I've never seen the yellows at Green Cay or Wako.

I get my fill on yellow crowneds over at Rutherford park in Boca Raton where there are usually a few hanging around - I've seen them there for at least 8 years now. I've never seen the yellows at Green Cay or Wako.

Never been there although I know where it is where did you see them ZD?

There are usually 2 or 3 of them, along the boardwalk - they are typically in one area where a streamlet empties into the intercoastal bay - the boardwalk crosses over that point, and with the changing tides lots of fish end up coming in that stream, then start heading out with the tide flow as it gets real shallow - the herons are smart enough to know the fish have to run this inches-deep gauntlet and usually await them right there.

When they are not staking out the stream, they are usually walking nearby along the shore:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/129795557/original

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/129795558/original

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/129795559/original

Last edited:
There are usually 2 or 3 of them, along the boardwalk - they are typically in one area where a streamlet empties into the intercoastal bay - the boardwalk crosses over that point, and with the changing tides lots...............

I was there Friday as the tide came in I saw some fish but alas no YCNHerons.

I see one especially friendly one at Sportsman's park in Lantana. Or should I say mooch looking for a handout...|^|

Apparently there are a few at Lantana Nature Preserve but I've never seen any there.

Last edited:
I'll probably be by Rutherford next weekend, and I'll let you know if I see any. They are fairly reliable there - though like anyplace, there are no guarantees! The Boca parks can be hit or miss - I still cannot find my chuckwill's widow again at Gumbo Limbo - I'd love to get another go at him, as that was quite a rare life sighting for me!

I'll probably be by Rutherford next weekend, and I'll let you know if I see any. They are fairly reliable there - though like anyplace, there are no guarantees! The Boca parks can be hit or miss - I still cannot find my chuckwill's widow again at Gumbo Limbo - I'd love to get another go at him, as that was quite a rare life sighting for me!

Apparently Colohatchee Park in Wilton Manors has a boardwalk through mangroves I may try there later today.............

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back