• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kinghorn, Fife (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I'll be in Kinghorn, Fife on Sunday for a geology field trip. But can anyone recommend any good nearby birding hotspots that are worth a good couple of hours visit in late afternoon?

I posted this in one of the other threads, but didn't get any response.

Thanks.

Hi,
I lived in Kinghorn until very recently. It might be a bit early in the year but the Fife coastal path from Kinghorn to Kirkcaldy is always worth a walk. Should be plenty offshore, and if the migrants have arrived the coastal scrub will be alive with song too. Should see seals at the tower on the path.
You can also get good sea views from Kinghorn harbour, and less so at Pettycur harbour.
Kinghorn loch, just north of the village should have great crested and little grebes, plus lots of singing woodland and farmland species. There is a hide at the far end on the loch.
The area around the village seems to hold very good numbers of skylarks, and for some reason a very healthy population of sparrows. If you want any specific info send me a pm.
All the best,
Mark

Thanks Mark, some good ideas there. My field trip should last about 5 hours, and that should give me a few hours at the end of the day to explore the area a little.

Had a good trip today - mainly looking at the rocks and finding fossils on the shore under the coastal path, but I was keeping a look-out for birds too.

Nothing really out of the ordinary, but I saw several common terns, cormorants, eiders, a single yellowhammer, a single house martin (my first of the year), several swallows, some waders: redshank, ringed plover and turnstone. Also saw a large group of common seals.

There were lots of dead birds on the shoreline, puffins, razorbills, guillemots, common gull, and a goose (couldn't identify the species). I read about the dead birds that had washed up along the east coast, but was still surprised to see them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back