• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED 50 original case - modified to stay-on-case (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

ED50 Original case is not usable as a stay-on case. It is more intended as a holster style bag to wear on your hip-belt. For me it's not working so I decided to modify it so it can be used as a stay on case.

The construction was a little add-hoc and improvised as I experimented on the way.

Materials used were all from the waste-bin.

I also added padding inside the bag from a thin (6mm) light weight sleeping mat.

The case will also work as sun shade for the objective lens. It's a very weak part of the ED50 design and stray light can be a problem occasionally.
All caps, loose straps etc are removable so they won't flap in the wind.

Perhaps not the most elegant stay on case, but it works, it's made by recycled/ressidue material,
and the pleasure of making your own stuff right from the specs, I think is underestimated!

Attachments

• DSC_0661.jpg
    DSC_0661.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC_0655.jpg
    DSC_0655.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC_0652.jpg
    DSC_0652.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Oh wow! You have serious talent.
I tried to do something similar using Velcro as the fastening material, but my efforts came out so wretched that the case had to scrapped, replaced by a Nikon stay on case which looks to be a Cley Spy knockoff or licensed copy.

Last edited:
What a cracking bit of D.I.Y. been trying myself to make my case for my scope (Acuter DS80) more of a s.o.c. However i always end up throwing a tantrum because it never looks like what i have in mind and the last time i tried i sewed BOTH ends up, yeah I'm that bad.

Damian

Vespo, wow that looks fantastic! :t:

I've often thought of trying to improvise something for the ED50, but never thought to modify the existing bag. I think I will.

You're absolutely right about the pleasures of improvising with the materials on hand, a very creative activity. The historian Susan Strasser described it as "the stewardship of objects," i.e. getting the most use/reuse/repurpose out of what's on hand. It often requires what she calls a "functional arrogance," in that the orginal function becomes less important than the function you can reimagine for it.

Oh, and thanks for noting that Nikon's supplied case is "intended as a holster style bag to wear on your hip-belt." For years now, I've simply been baffled, wondering what Nikon was thinking when they designed it. ;)

Mark

thank you guys for your input,
much appreciated,
after this, I might ending up buying a sewing machine instead of a Monarch Fieldscope!
:)

Mark: It took a while for me to "discover" the function of the strange neoprene "thing" in the box with the ED50…perhaps an indication that the "usability" was not top notch..

A special thanks for your sociological analysis, it seems that I'm not completely crazy after all!

Great job vespobuteo,and elegant it is...dont be modest ..i have an idea for my next ED50 case with a different design ,---if i get something done worth to share, I will post it in this thread...thanks for sharing

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back