• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice required please (1 Viewer)

mike7900

At the moment I only have a 35mm film camera but considering going digital.
Im also intrested in digiscoping and would be grateful if anyone could tell me of a good set up that wont cost the earth, but will be adequate for most situations.

Mike

mike7900 said:
At the moment I only have a 35mm film camera but considering going digital.
Im also intrested in digiscoping and would be grateful if anyone could tell me of a good set up that wont cost the earth, but will be adequate for most situations.

Mike
Take a look at the opticron kit. It is sold with camera, adaptor and all you need to digiscope (except for a scope of course!!)

You are not too far from InFocus which is inside Martin Mere (you don't need to pay an entry fee if just visiting the shop), you will find the guy there more than helpful he will demonstrate it for you and let you try it for yourself before you buy. He will also show you other methods.

Also maybe nearer for you is Focal Point at Warrington I think! (Check on the web). Again great guy and more than helpful.....

Its much better to try yourself than take someones word for it. Whatever method you choose all hinges on your scope. Size of eyepiece, etc... take it with you when you go, then you can see pics taken through your scope and not be disappointed later.

Last edited:
mickporter said:
Take a look at the opticron kit. It is sold with camera, adaptor and all you need to digiscope (except for a scope of course!!)

How much does this kit cost roughly? I'm keen to get started with photography/ digiscoping but have limited funds available at present.

The Opticron kit retails for about £400 and in my opinion is not a very good option. The image quality of the Samsung camera in the kit is not very good, for the same price you could buy a much better camera and a universal adapter. Beware that the adapter in the Opticron kit is designed to work with Opticron eyepeices and is not compatible with many other brands.

The previous Opticron kit included the Kyocera sl400r and was a much better set up, though to my mind was still over priced.

The Opticron kit retails for about £400 and in my opinion is not a very good option. The image quality of the Samsung camera in the kit is not very good, for the same price you could buy a much better camera and a universal adapter. Beware that the adapter in the Opticron kit is designed to work with Opticron eyepeices and is not compatible with many other brands.
On what basis do you make this assumption???

Have you got the opticron kit?

This is really not a very helpful reply!!

The opticron kit at InFocus costs £399 which includes a 5 Mpixel Samsung camera, cradle, eyepiece adaptor which opticron say will fit most eyepieces!! (Although it will not fit larger eyepieces such as the Zeiss!), card, and full instructions.

Although I do not own this kit, I have seen pictures taken by it. All were printed out on A4 paper and were certainly much clearer and brighter than anything I have obtained using my Nikon 4500 and my 85MM Zeiss scope!! However that is probably a testament to my skills...

The Samsung camera is very small and can easily be slipped into a jacket pocket. It has a huge LSD screen compared to the 4500. It fits the eyepiciece via a cradle which it slides into. It can very quickly be slid into place and taken out without any disturbance.

I would think this is a perfect way for someone to adapt their birdwatching skills and capture those magic moments......

mickporter said:
On what basis do you make this assumption???

Have you got the opticron kit?

This is really not a very helpful reply!!

No I don't have the Opticron kit, but I did have the previous one with the Kyocera camera - this used the same adapter which was not compatible with most Leica, Zeiss and (some) Swarovski eyepeices.

As for my comments about image quality, these are based on the photos that I have seen from this camera (including some used as example shots by Opticron), both digiscoped shots and straight forward shots. They were of a low quality compared to similar spec cameras by other manufacturers, they certainly did not come close to the excellent image quality of the Collpix 4500.

I agree that the small size of the Samsung camera and the large screen are both nice features, as is the fact that you get the whole set up in one box. However there are pleanty of other cameras that can be used for digiscoping that are much cheaper and will prodcue better images. It is certainly possible to get a complete set up including camera, adapter and memory for about £200 - see this earlier thread about digiscoping on the cheap - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=44480

Hi Mike,

If you do go to Martin Mere as has been said above the guy in In Focus is very helpful. I was there this time last week and he had for sale one coolpix4500 and one Kyocera at very good prices. Obviously they could be sold by now but if not there could be some options for you.

Regards

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back