• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog deaths in small pond (1 Viewer)

Good news this morning, the ramshorn snails are still alive and well and feeding on green algae on stones. There's a strange milky coloured slime that is settling to the bottom of the pond, which I can now see is really clogged up with bamboo leaves (that explains the rotting vegetation, then).

I don't want to disturb the leaf litter just in case something is overwintering and has survived the freeze, but in the summer I'll do a proper clear-out.

Using Pipe Insulation for Tote Box Heater

Try googling "tote box heater" - a do-it-yourself heater pond owners use in the US to keep a hole open in the ice. It's made of a plastic bin and a light bulb.

Helen

Hi Helen,

I just installed a tote box heater in my small pond.

As you see, the tote box instructions use swimming noodles to float the box in the pond. It is winter here in Texas I cannot find noodles anywhere.

I used two rows of pipe insulation. I used a 14 gallon Tote from Loews and the pipe insulation was just long enough to go around once. I drilled small holes and attached it with 8 inch zip ties. They were just barely long enough. 10 or 12 inch would have been better.

Then right above the first pipe insulation, I ran the second row. I zip tied that to the first row.

I launched USS Totebox this morning in the pond. I was glad I used two rows of pipe insulation as that seemed just about right. I don't think one would have been enough.

I just wanted to share this modification because I have not seen pipe insulation used or discussed in any other forum. I figured I might not be the only desperate person that needed a tote box heater but couldn't locate a swimming noodle in winter time. Anyone with google experience should now be able to find this modification.

Mrick

The mystery of the "white slime" has been solved... my neighbour cut back the tall wild rose that the sparrows hung out in, so they now hang out all the time in my bamboo, which overhangs the pond. The white stuff is, I think, bird lime... aka sparrow poo!

I'm not sure what to do about this problem - I suppose my options are to either cut back the bamboo (not what I want to do), somehow cover the pond (again, not really under consideration) or find a way to live with it (bingo).

I think I'll get some oxygenating plants, and keep hauling them out as they grow, and see if they soak up all the extra nutrients. Fortunately there are no fish to worry about, and the local frog population seems stronger than ever - there were dozens of them splashing about last weekend!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back