• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thumbs up for Zeiss UK service (1 Viewer)

paddy7

I have an old pair of Zeiss FL 8x32, bought second hand a few years ago. The eye cup on one barrel wouldn't extend, without unscrewing the whole eye cup mechanism. I threw the problem over to Zeiss' centre in Cambridge, and (after one 'reminder' email) received two new eyecups in the post yesterday - no fuss, no bother. Screwed in inside two minutes, and up and running again. Good going, chaps! Alpha response!

sounds like what we have come to expect from Zeiss....One of the reasons I have more Zeiss than any other brand....also that they have been around forever and will most likely be there when you need them in the future...

thanks for posting your service experience......

Paddy .... Sounds like you got great service from Zeiss and are in good shape. In case the new eye cup comes lose when extending, here is a very helpful post from Lee on installing the eyecup. The secret is to be sure it is in the fully collapsed position before installing.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=336799

Thanks Bruce - i had actually seen Lee's post and followed it, removing the eyecup to try and work on the extending cup itself. The only way i could see to hold the base of the mechanism tight enough to try to extend the rubber cup would have been with pliers/grips, and there is a danger of damaging the thread that screws it back in place, which i considered too much of a risk.
Just as an interesting design issue: if the thread for the extension of the rubber cup and the eye cup mechanism holding it were reversed to each other (clockwise/anti-clockwise) a tight eye cup wouldn't unscrew the whole piece.
Paddy

Thanks Bruce - i had actually seen Lee's post and followed it, removing the eyecup to try and work on the extending cup itself. The only way i could see to hold the base of the mechanism tight enough to try to extend the rubber cup would have been with pliers/grips, and there is a danger of damaging the thread that screws it back in place, which i considered too much of a risk.
Just as an interesting design issue: if the thread for the extension of the rubber cup and the eye cup mechanism holding it were reversed to each other (clockwise/anti-clockwise) a tight eye cup wouldn't unscrew the whole piece.
Paddy

If sticking your fingers up the middle and splaying them outwards doesn't sufficiently grip the inner tube so you can screw down or screw up the outer tube, try putting on a rubber glove so your splaying fingers grip the inner tube more securely.

Lee

I tried the technique (not with the glove though) but this booger was several degrees more tight than anything you could shift like that. TBH, the rubber eyepiece was difficult to shift when i first bought it, and just got worse over time. Particularly galling if anyone wanted a look through them wearing glasses and screwed them down in the field....
Now the problem is sorted with the new cup pieces, i might pull the old one apart and try and find what caused it - it's not exactly a difficult mechanism to understand.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back