• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird resistant feeder, need advice (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

New member here from South Florida. As I do with any new hobby I take up, I come to the internet forums for knowledge and guidance.

So I've decided to put up my first bird feeder in my back yard. Not knowing much I went to the local HD and purchased a feeder: ( https://smile.amazon.com/Perky-Pet-...F8&qid=1486043534&sr=8-3&keywords=bird+feeder ).

I hung it from my Florida Maple tree and filled it with Wagner Southern Region seed mix. By the next morning I had a flock (dozens) of blackbirds (Grackles) devouring the feed. The entire feeder was drained by later that afternoon.

After some research online, I figured I'd try make my own baffle. I made a simple one out of heavy plastic and added some mini spikes so they would stop landing and standing on it. I couldn't make it cone shaped so its flat like a mini roof. Anyways I lowered it to about 2.25" above the perch and it had a positive effect. Only a few of the blackbirds could get to the feed briefly. It appears it was more effort than worth it so the gave up for the moment.

My question is what kind of perch clearance is needed for the desirable birds? It's got 2 1/4 inch clearance at the moment. The more clearance I give it the easier it becomes for the Grackles (they are very clever and persistant).

What I'd prefer doing is getting a feeder better suited to this task. I rarely see squirrels and never any rodents. I've heard of the Squirrel Buster and Rollerfeeders as well as the outer-caged feeders. Any good recommendations?

Thx

So I'm considering Squirrel Buster feeders. They are often recommend and well reviewed. There are 3 main variants, Standard, Classic and Plus.

Though I'd like to accommodate Cardinals, my main goal is to eliminate the Grackles so if feeding just the smaller birds is the best route to take then so be it. The Grackles are a real problem here, they show up by the boatloads. My recent modifications to my run-of-the-mill feeder seem to have worked in dissuading them. The feed has lasted a few days now. Even though the Grackles found my feeder within 24 hrs, I haven't seen any other birds feeding at it yet and I'm not confident that the birds may like my feeder in it's present configuration.

Opinions on which Squirrel Buster model too choose?

Thx

I have both the Squirrel Buster Legacy and Classic and I can say with great certainty, they are squirrel-proof so far. However, if you think they are repellant to large birds, I would have to disagree. I don't have grackles or blackbirds but I do have starlings and they will empty these feeders in a few hours. As a result, chickadees, nuthatches and others get no chance to feed. Looking back I wish I had tried the Squirrel Buster Plus but my local Wild Birds Unlimited was out of stock. I still may get one and try it out. Another thought, have you actually tried the squirrel proof tube type cage protected feeders such as this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Audubon-Squi...315766&sr=1-2&keywords=cage+type+bird+feeders

The only thing about this type of feeder is that I get Downy and Hairy woodpeckers who like seeds but they would not be able to feed. :-C

I have both the Squirrel Buster Legacy and Classic and I can say with great certainty, they are squirrel-proof so far. However, if you think they are repellant to large birds, I would have to disagree. I don't have grackles or blackbirds but I do have starlings and they will empty these feeders in a few hours. As a result, chickadees, nuthatches and others get no chance to feed. Looking back I wish I had tried the Squirrel Buster Plus but my local Wild Birds Unlimited was out of stock. I still may get one and try it out. Another thought, have you actually tried the squirrel proof tube type cage protected feeders such as this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Audubon-Squi...315766&sr=1-2&keywords=cage+type+bird+feeders

The only thing about this type of feeder is that I get Downy and Hairy woodpeckers who like seeds but they would not be able to feed. :-C

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't completely sold myself on the Squirrel Buster being Grackle proof. Seems once and a while someone would report no success keeping the Grackles from the seed. Since we have butt-loads of Boat-tailed Grackles here all year long, I need a feeder that is better at keeping out Grackles than most.

That cage tube feeder looks like a great alternative to me. I'd been looking at cage feeders (there are many) but without someones recommendation it's hard to pull the trigger. Better price than the Squirrel Buster Plus too.

I have had a squirrel or 2 show up recently. Will the cage feeder do the trick on them too?

On the subject of feed, what do you recommend as a good alternative to commercial feed for the cage feeder? Maybe a mix of Black oil sunflower seeds, Safflower and Nyjer?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the Audobon Cage Tube feeder would prevent squirrels from feeding. I have seen people in my neighborhood use them. And I may yet try one myself...

For the caged tube feeder, I think black oil sunflower seeds are overall the best choice for the widest variety of birds. I tried safflower a few times, but I don't feel that it was well liked. I don't do nyjer seed anymore. Where I live in the Pacific Northwest, it is too wet and the seed rots. Nyjer is super attractive to goldfinch and Pine siskin, but it isn't worth it to me.

Personally, I think black oil sunflower seed is the least attractive for starlings, as it takes too much work for them. But I hate to do that to chickadees and nuthatches, so I feed Chickadee Chew(a mix of shelled sunflower seeds, some with the shell, shelled peanuts and walnuts) from Wild Birds Unlimited. Yes, it is expensive, especially when squirrels and starlings are a big problem this winter:-( I do have to say that I do not have any experince with Grackle or blackbirds, so I am not sure if a certain food would be off putting to them.

I think I am going to try the Squirrel Buster Plus with the cardinal ring. If it is adjustable, that just might prevent starlings and larger birds from perching, especially since it is weight controlled.
https://www.amazon.com/Brome-Squirr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J1XWQHRZ5TJMQ6A501ZY

Good luck, and I'll let you know how it goes...

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the Audobon Cage Tube feeder would prevent squirrels from feeding. I have seen people in my neighborhood use them. And I may yet try one myself...

For the caged tube feeder, I think black oil sunflower seeds are overall the best choice for the widest variety of birds. I tried safflower a few times, but I don't feel that it was well liked. I don't do nyjer seed anymore. Where I live in the Pacific Northwest, it is too wet and the seed rots. Nyjer is super attractive to goldfinch and Pine siskin, but it isn't worth it to me.

Personally, I think black oil sunflower seed is the least attractive for starlings, as it takes too much work for them. But I hate to do that to chickadees and nuthatches, so I feed Chickadee Chew(a mix of shelled sunflower seeds, some with the shell, shelled peanuts and walnuts) from Wild Birds Unlimited. Yes, it is expensive, especially when squirrels and starlings are a big problem this winter:-( I do have to say that I do not have any experince with Grackle or blackbirds, so I am not sure if a certain food would be off putting to them.

I think I am going to try the Squirrel Buster Plus with the cardinal ring. If it is adjustable, that just might prevent starlings and larger birds from perching, especially since it is weight controlled.
https://www.amazon.com/Brome-Squirr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J1XWQHRZ5TJMQ6A501ZY

Good luck, and I'll let you know how it goes...

I'll take a look at some of the feed offerings from Wild Birds Unlimited online, no stores locally. Lots of humidity here too in summer so maybe no nyjer. I guess a mix of shelled and unshelled sunflower and maybe peanuts.

Good luck wth the Squirrel Buster Plus and chime back with the results.

BTW I ordered that cage feeder. See how it goes.

Thx

Well, I went and bought the Squrriel Buster Plus feeder and it's been outside for a couple of weeks and I have to say, with complete success! It is indeed squrrel proof, and since it is weight adjustable, large birds such as starlings and jays cannot feed from it.

Hope that you are having similar success- let us know!

Glad to hear your having success.

My cage feeder has worked very well too. The Grackles have had no success getting to the feed and neither has the squirrel. Since I put it up a couple weeks ago, I've only recently had my first customer, a small bird. Hopefully more birds will frequent the feeder in the near future.

I have Woodpeckers that are often at my tree as well. I suspect they may be nesting in it since it has a few large hollowed out holes. I'm considering a Suet-Sandwich Feeder for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back