• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thylacine (1 Viewer)

I was in the Natural History Museum in London myself last July but didn't see a stuffed thylacine. It was a bit of a rushed visit, 2-3 hours, I suppose, so I might have missed some of the rooms. Can anyone confirm whether the stuffed thylacine is still on display?

I have the same reaction as ChrisKten to seeing the films of thylacines when they were still alive.

Allen

Yeah it is in the little narrow room/gallery with the smaller/carnivorous mammals in (in the marsupials case as you'd expect if memory serves on the same side as the unbelievably moth eaten looking big cats) or at least it has been everytime I've visited.

Yeah it is in the little narrow room/gallery with the smaller/carnivorous mammals in (in the marsupials case as you'd expect if memory serves on the same side as the unbelievably moth eaten looking big cats) or at least it has been everytime I've visited.

It would be something if it started moving around between visits. Night in the Museum anyone?

John

A report just published suggests that the Thylacine's jaws were too weak to tackle anything much larger than a Bandicoot. They effectively exonerated it from being a sheep, or even lamb killer.

In other words, the reason it was hunted to extinction was in itself no justification for killing it, making its extinction all the more pointless and sad...

Can I summarise without writing a novel. Australasia is unique in that marsupials (young are born in a near embryonic state, make their way across the mother's body, until they find a pouch, and feed off the mother's milk until developed enough to be pups, joeys or whatever), dominated the mammalian scene until man intervened.

The Thylacine, Tasmanian or "Tassie" Tiger, resembled a dog, and occupied a similar niche filled by wolves or wild dogs elsewhere. These animals became extinct on mainland Australia before white settlers arrived, but on Tasmania they they still were thriving. When the white settlers arrived, soon tales of this animal began to circulate.

Britain wanted large scale sheep farms on Tasmania, but soon problems arose. The climate was unsuitable, escaped convicts and feral dogs all contributed to the problem. However, a scapegoat was needed, and lurid and totally exaggerated reports of this sheep killer began to circulate. Records indicate that probably around 10% of sheep losses were caused by tigers.

The Tiger was described as a worthless stinking vampire, Britiain was trying to encourage settlement in Tasmania, people were afraid to leave the major towns, even come to the country. A bounty scheme was launched - yes, the sadness of the Thylacine was that out of fear and ignorance, its extinction was deliberate

Early on in the 20th centuary, numbers had dwindled to the point where it was no longer viable to hunt it. The last proven Tiger to exist in the wild was shot in 1930 when it raided the chicken run of the Batty family.

Despite this, Thylacines were exported, hence the preserved specimens in various parts of the world. London Zoo paid £150 for its last specimen

Coming to the video clip, two sources differ, but the animal is probably one of a mother and pups captured and displayed at the Beaumaris Zoo, Hobart. The rest of the family soon died, but the survivor "Benjamin", probably a young female lived on. "Her" end was sad, as in the grip of the worldwide depression, staff at the zoo were replaced by "sussos" (jobseekers in 21st centuary UK) who did not care for the animals and would go home, leaving the animals without access to the shelters in their pens thus not having any protection from the cold.

The zoo's curator, John Reid was becoming increasingly unwell due to injuries sustained when trying to stop an intruder. His daughter Alison gradually took over his duties, when she complained regarding the welfare of the animals, the response was to take her keys away, so she could no longer administer to the animals needs after the zoo was closed.

In a bare concrete pen, with daytime temperatures reaching 100%F and nighttime sub zero, the night of Sept 7 was too much for Benjamin, so ended "her" life. All the zoo's carnivores, with the exception of the two lions met a similar fate

Claims of sightings of Tigers in the wild continued, recently a AU$1.25M was put up if proof of the continuing existence of the animal was forthcoming.

There is a possibility that animals were taken from Tasmania to mainland Australia, there are also claims of recent sightings there

It would be a dream come true if this maligned and persecuted animal has managed to survive

Sept 7 is National Thylacine Day and National extinct species day down under

Last edited:
I most certainly have - I own it as well as 2 of the other four major works on this species as well as Tiger Tales

Not sure what point you are trying to make. The issue most have with this book is the statement on the first page is that with the death of the captive thylacine 7 Sept 1936, the species became extinct, the other authors admit the possibility of continued existence after this date, although Eric Guiler does not really believe in the continued existence of the animal

Last edited:
I most certainly have - I own it as well as 2 of the other four major works on this species as well as Tiger Tales

Not sure what point you are trying to make. The issue most have with this book is the statement on the first page is that with the death of the captive thylacine 7 Sept 1936, the species became extinct, the other authors admit the possibility of continued existence after this date, although Eric Guiler does not really believe in the continued existence of the animal

Thanks, Kenneth,

I didn't realise that there were more books about the thylacine, although, admittedly, I haven't really made much of a search. The extinction of a species is often too depressing to read about.

Allen

the major works are

Guiler/Godard Tasmanian Tiger - a lesson to be learned
Paddle The last Tasmanian Tiger - History and extinction of the Thyacine
Owen The Thylacine - The tragic tale of the Tasmanian Tiger
Smith - The Tasmanian Tiger 1980 (report on its current status funded by WWF Australia)

As mentioned above, Paddle alone states that the animal is extinct. The others hold the opinion that it probably survived post 1936, but with no proof of its continued existence despite expeditions to find it, many are sceptical that it has survived for so long without detection in such a small area

In 1986 it was declared officially extinct, as this is how any animal is classified if no evidence of its existence has occurred for 50 years

Article in the Independanthttp://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ausandpacific/on-the-tail-of-a-tiger-in-tasmania-1862245.html

Last edited:

not trying to make any point at all actually, I just thought your post was an amusing one to launch on page three of a thread. My comment was merely a throw-away one for which I could have used any author's name; perhaps I should have added a wink after it.

I noted one or two comments, particularly the one regarding the strength of the Thylacine's jaws, which is untrue. Gulier p154 recounts the tale of a bull terrier cornering a thylacine, and had the top of its skull bitten clean off.

So I decided to post a summary

in his ebook "Magnificent survivor", "Tigerman" was examining some sheep carcasses which showed typical signs of a tiger kill, that they were killed by only a few bites, and showing what gave rise to the vampire legend - when food was plenty, they would concentrate on the soft, bloody tissues of brain and heart.

I find Tigerman's comments regarding its intelligence fascinating - we know so little about it, and the assumption that being a marsupial it was inferior in intelligence to placental mammals. Settlers saw animals and birds and named them after something. The only thing in common between the Tasmanian Tiger and the Bengal tiger are the stripes (and both are mammals I suppose)

Natural History Museum, London

I was there again last week and the specimen was in that gallery. It looked a bit faded but, sadly, so are people's memories of the species.

All happening in Queensland.. First the Night Parrot and now this, which they appear, on the surface to be taking seriously.
What happens when a Tazzy Tiger is seen predating a Night Parrot ? 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back